• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tomahawks???

Estwing makes some good shit. My dad has quite a few of their tools that one day will will be mine. Most are as old as me or even older and still just as useful as the day he bought them. Sadly no axes or tomakawks though. I guess I'll have to acquire some one day ;)

A buddy of mine has all the SOG tomahawks. I've kinda always wanted one for myself.

I like the sog fasthawk, but this Estwing double headed ax is tha shizzle and boom boom.

Might want to consider a Woodman's Pal. Very versatile tool.

pa409s2.jpg

I like that grip.

I could also see the appeal of having an AR tool on your cutting tool. Especially for long periods of time away from an armorer.

That's some good thinking outside the box right there.

I just spent way too much on Spurs championship gear tonite lol! Its gonna have to wait but I think I will be snagging one of these in the near future.

I have gone back and fofth on this tomahawk issue and have decided that for me good quality hatchet is more than sufficient for general work and the occasional fight that will most likely never occur. Now if I was a front line soldier then it might be another story.

I always carry a short axe, folding belt saw, tabbing shears, M 7 bayonet, matches, in my truck. They all have come in handy while cruising the Maine woods. A Colt Woodsman and Browning A5 are also part of my standard truck gear. Bob.

Colonial Knife corp by CCI (made in china...)
440 stainless with black finish.
Before:
toma2.jpg

After:
hawkwrap.jpg

There's about 60' of cord and a bight, bend, or turn per each inch.

If you just want to bean someone you can invert the 'hawk and wack 'em with the knob & not kill or cut them.

The lanyard is like a riding crop. Getting smacked with that alone would hurt like hell.

After tying each section, I steamed it over a electric teakettle. That shrinks and tightens the knots until the wrap is very hard. That rope knot is like a wood knob.

The 7-bight, 15 lead turk's head, modified both top & bottom:

knot.JPG

Last edited:
I would say the biggest problem with carrying a tomohawk is the holsters / covers they come with. As John A. mentioned above, the holsters they come with tend to not be very secure, unless you are buying a higher end hawk. I have a M48 by United Cutlery that I won at a match. I like the feel of it, but it's not a wood cutting axe, it's more of a fighting axe. I also have an RMJ that I carried as a Marine. That axe I really like. Very usable and comes with a great sheath. But you really can't compair a $50 axe to a nearly $500 axe.

Last edited:
. . . a nearly $500 axe.

:eek: Holy Frijoles.

I looked at a few that were like $650 too.You can spend a bundle!

Mine was $25 at Tractor Supply Co. :rolleyes:

Some very nice cord work. I like it

Thanks DM. I didn't get it as neat as I might have if I'd known a little better what I was doing. This was my first real attempt at decorative knot work. Also I wouldn't have used the camo paracord. I think solid black and tan or grey would have been better.

Last edited:
Back