• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tents

With a nice underquilt a hammock becomes a toasty cave I highly recommend! For ground dwellers Mountain Hardwear makes some bombproof shelters.

eeehhh. I've been warm down to 20*F easy... infact I overheat in those temps. You just have to know how your rig is set up.

when I was a kid we would just throw out sleeping bags, woke up with ice on the bag a few times....now sleeping without a Thermarest sucks lol

Nice. The most I've spent is 8 days during a 100 mile solo hike for charity.

yeah, this summer was the most days I can remember in quite a while.
0430 chow line, 0500 Ops meeting, 0600 briefing, 0700 division break outs, on the line shift change at 0900, MRE, shift change 2000, chow line, Ops meeting 2130, 2200 shower maybe, bed......over , over, over and over.

I need a new tent bad, got to be 4 person so all my gear and crap fits in plus its nice to lace your boots sitting at least .

The tent was kinda on its way out but the last bout of assignments really did it in. We went from one right to another fire and I didn't have time to pack my tent so I just rolled it up put it in the back of my truck.
We took the fire the instant we got there so I was up on it and got burn holes in my tent.......didn't really know because we set up in the dark but as I was falling asleep I felt something crawling, I smashed it and tried to sleep, not unusual but by the third killing I dug out my light and they were big nasty spider carcasses , holes were huge lol......I hate spiders crawling on me!!

Try and find something with a Full Fly. They are more $$ but in any significant wind or driving rain you will stay dry and so will the gear that somehow ended up leaning against a tent wall.

when I was a kid we would just throw out sleeping bags, woke up with ice on the bag a few times....now sleeping without a Thermarest sucks lol

yeah, this summer was the most days I can remember in quite a while.
0430 chow line, 0500 Ops meeting, 0600 briefing, 0700 division break outs, on the line shift change at 0900, MRE, shift change 2000, chow line, Ops meeting 2130, 2200 shower maybe, bed......over , over, over and over.

I need a new tent bad, got to be 4 person so all my gear and crap fits in plus its nice to lace your boots sitting at least .

The tent was kinda on its way out but the last bout of assignments really did it in. We went from one right to another fire and I didn't have time to pack my tent so I just rolled it up put it in the back of my truck.
We took the fire the instant we got there so I was up on it and got burn holes in my tent.......didn't really know because we set up in the dark but as I was falling asleep I felt something crawling, I smashed it and tried to sleep, not unusual but by the third killing I dug out my light and they were big nasty spider carcasses , holes were huge lol......I hate spiders crawling on me!!

I had an ice trail on my bag from my breathing during that 3*F winter hang. Cool and freaky at the same time. Almost as freaky as breaking open the ice to get to water, dipping my pot in and placing it on the ground as I built a fire... I literally watched the water in my pot begin to freeze over... I never built a fire that fast in my life lol

ugh I'd be pissed if the spiders began an invasion on my face!

So far I've testing my hammock rig in varying weather conditions from pristine to omg I'm going to probably going to get soaked (trees falling in the wind/rain near me). Knock on wood I've come out dry as well as my gear under my hammock. No aches and pains in a hammock unlike sleeping on a thermarest.

What kind of hammock are you using???
Just went back an watched your vid, lol cracked me up.

Last edited:
My original rig was a warbonnet blackbird hammock, warbonnet yeti underquilt, Warbonnet Black Mamba top quilt, OES MacCat Deluxe tarp

I now rock on my ultralight hikes - Warbonnet traveler hammock, bug net, yeti under quilt, Hammock Gear Summer Burrow Top Quilt, OES Cuben Fiber MacCat Deluxe Tarp.

I was hiking 5 days worth of food, water and fuel at 24lbs max. Sleeping like a champ.

I got a Standing Room Tent last Summer.
It goes inside a 10 x 10 Popup. They make them for straight leg or slant Leg.
LOVE IT!!
We've only used it in warm weather so far, but figure I could put the sides on the popup & use them almost like an outer shell.
We bought cots from Cabela's, I think they are 40" wide by almost 7 foot long.(I think they call them their Outfitter's Cot) Most comfortable I've ever been in a tent.

For hiking it's not something I would use. It's neat. But while all I need to worry about is 2 trees well spaced in the tentsile you are looking for 4. At 15 pounds it's stupid heavy compared to tents.

No aches and pains in a hammock unlike sleeping on a thermarest.
no kidding ?......staying in camps of 300 to 500 people , most on Thermarests and that might be the first time I have ever heard someone not agreeing with one.
I have two, a base camp luxury map for when I have my truck and in state, and a thin sleeping bag size one I take on planes and helo's like Alaska and when I need to pack everything on my back, the best thing that's happened to me was the discovery of a Thermarest

Hammock hugs the body and doesn't aggravate any pressure points. After hiking 15-20 miles a day I usually woke up refreshed and ready to rock.

I believe that but the part about aches and pains from the Thermarest , never heard that before and I have a hard time believing you don't sleep on a bed of nails.
So not a cage fighter and aches and pains after a night on a Thermarest .... your full surprises

lol everytime I slept on a pad including a thermarest I've had back aches and my arms went numb…. perhaps my herniations were at work years before I was diagnosed. go figure.

Never fought in a cage. Usually a 20' hardwood square (taped off) or a wrestling mat.

EDIT:

^^^^ see that… That's when you talk about something you think you know before you look it up. In my head I thought a thermarest was a high end sleeping PAD. I typed it in because I was wondering why you were giving me the derp response. Apparently a thermarest is an air BED. Yeah big difference.

I've never slept on an air bed while hiking. So if I slept on a thermarest I'm sure I'd be sleeping just fine. I'll be in the corner with my dunce cap on for the rest of the day.

Carry on.

Last edited:
they are kinda both air and pad, self inflating due to the foam expanding. its weird how they are better than an air bed, yet thin and packable.....and way way better than any standalone pad
Yeah dude if you have to spend any time on the ground on a halfway regular basis, you MUST try one...I even sleep on the floor in hotel rooms on one when we close out camp and hotel up before the trip home

Used a Thermarest for the first time on my last trip and it was super comfortable. It'll have a permanent place in my pack from now on...

Just watched some of the vid's on the Warbonnet website. I'm very intrigued by the hammock idea now. Will have to put that on next years list of things to pursue.

Your tents are all so cute and little and light... This one is the new hybrid tent. It only takes about 5 minutes to set it up. The poles are all already on the fabric. I love it!

The link http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-12-Person-3-Room-XL-Hybrid-Instant-Cabin-Tent/34136730
BD2C73C3-5542-45DB-82BB-118989FA91E0_zpsr7gakk2a.jpg

Back