• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deer hunting with Federal Tru-ball slugs

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Hi guys,

I want to take my mav88 into the woods for some deer hunting this year. I have the 28" field barrel with many chokes, and the 18.5" smooth bore barrel. I bought several boxes of Federal Tru-ball 12ga slugs. The slugs are rifled and are intended for smooth bore although I've read great accuracy with imp cylinder chokes as well. My longest shot will be 50 yards. So which barrel should I use?

either one will smoke on a deer in 100 yards if those are full power, in 50 yards I would have no reservations taking after most anything with a quality foster slug loaded full power with an 18 1/2" barrel

I have taken a deer with my Mossberg 500 and 18.5" barrel with slugs before. Over 50 yards I would want a more accurate slug gun though.

Would the 28" with an improved choke be more accurate? I'm looking for the best shot placement using a red dot sight. The thought of having the 18.5" with so much less weight is really tempting.

DHonovich I'm hunting in woods on the other side of the river from you so you know how dense they get. I figure a 50yrd shot is the most I'd would feel comfortable with. Longer and it would be rifle purchase time.

A little late here, but as long as you have a red-dot* that doesn't lose zero then that 18.5" barrel will be fine even a little bit over 50-yards with Tru-Ball full power slugs.

* - How big is the dot in MOAs?

Back