• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why I love my MVP

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Spent the day at the range today and took a personal day. Wanted to verify Zero for the 50gr Fiocchi Vmax and the Corbon 62gr DPX hunting load I will be using for whitetail if I can get on my buddy's trip in November.

I cleaned her good a month or so ago so I figured I would run her through the Freedom Munition 55gr Vmax new factory ammo it was zeroed on to get her all warmed up (all dots shot from bench rest):

15400991507_2ddf621d1c.jpg

This load consistent puts out 1 - 1.5 MOA. So It was par for the course.

Next was the Fiocchi 50gr Vmax load (bench rest):

15400867148_5bee651f9d.jpg

Top dots and the middle dots I was trying to verify my zero notes. Bottom 2 I finalized my zero. This load is very interesting consistently giving me sub MOA on all the shots.

Next was the hunting load Corbon DPX 62gr Barnes TSX (bench rest):

15563310856_73ba6e4f4f.jpg

I only have 120 rounds of this with 2 boxes dedicated to zero and 200 yard grouping results. Top 2 dots and the middle dots I was figuring out the zero. Bottom 2 I was verifying…. yeah that's .300"

I also shot a 5 shot group on another target but I just didn't feel like walking down and retrieving it since I was trying to get a 200 yard target up. 4/5 shots were in the dot… one was a nasty pull (I felt it).

So lets see how this does at 200 yards, prone (first time shooting prone ever) using the BDC on my Nikon P223 scope:

14966234874_ef753d3d06.jpg

15400977417_ccd6d4e88f.jpg

5 shot group. I felt a pull on 2 shots and it shows. For hunting ammo I'm stupid impressed that's a solid hit on a deer.

I felt I could do better at prone though so I set up my 4" steel plate at 200 yards and used the FM 55gr Vmax to get some instant feed back… very impressed out of 10 shots I nailed 8 practically all grouped in the middle using the BDC on the Nikon P223:

15563294986_33c53f37ef.jpg

God I love this rifle…. CLINK!!!!

Good shooting! Now ya have to find a way to get your adrenaline pumping, and nervous jitters. Because you wont be calm, cool, an stable when that buck walks out at about 143 yards.

just out of curiosity whats the headstamp on the Freedom new ammo casings? wondering if/who they get cases from, or produce/have their own produced.

Last edited:
I only shoot 5 shot groups for you. :)
while I appreciate it, I hope you actually see the value of information in using 5+ groups.....tells you a lot about your rifle and yourself.
keep posting them, it lets serious people know your serious about your shooting and not trying to pass off some lucky 3 shot cluster as a 1 moa group, using a 1 moa rifle being shot with your 1moa finger......people have a lot more respect for a shooter who posts up larger than moa 5+ shot group than a .50 3 shot group.

Trust me I'll keep posting the 5ers. I had 2 fivers but I didn't get a shot of the other one.

Plus ammo cost and supply on that round was a factor.

Fwiw it was a zero day not a performance day.

But I know you liked that 8/10 hit gong at 200. :)

Trust me I'll keep posting the 5ers. I had 2 fivers but I didn't get a shot of the other one.

Plus ammo cost and supply on that round was a factor.

Fwiw it was a zero day not a performance day.

But I know you liked that 8/10 hit gong at 200. :)

Hell yeah I did

Back