• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Do I need a sling?

Two point slings hooked to the underside of the shotgun are fine for "over the shoulder" carry; like GIs on a march or hunters oftentimes do.

If you want to carry it across your chest and go hands-free that is a horrible way to sling-mount a shotgun. For that, you have to put attachment points on the top (or very high up the sides) so that gravity keeps the shotgun trigger guard and stock wrist oriented down.

Just sayin'.............

yep, My preference is top of the butt and 9 oclock on the muzzle. Carries cross front , cross back or shoulder nice for me

I have been trying every which way with mine over the past week or so.

Carrying over the shoulder out into the woods, no problem.
Finding something comfortable while shooting, not so easy.

I like having the sling up and over my strong side, around and under my weak side.

I'll be taking another look at it and see what I can come up with.
nitesite is dead on!

I'll post here when I work something out.

Ok I think I got it to were its pretty comfortable for me.
As said above, hooking up on the bottoms of the stock just wasn't working for me. (Unless just carrying over the shoulder)

Hooking up right there where the receiver and stock meets works way better for me.

I have a sling mount for an HK hook and the Magpul MS3 didn't fit very well.

qevunyza.jpg

I cut off a bit of the plastic part on the clip.

vame2e5y.jpg

Now it lays flat and feels good.

I added a small rail to the mag tube. For my light.
eruza5eq.jpg

I'm thinking I'll add a mount for a 9 o'clock attachment and be done with it.

I added a small rail to the mag tube. For my light.
eruza5eq.jpg

I'm thinking I'll add a mount for a 9 o'clock attachment and be done with it.

that's how I have had my sling on my SG for years and it hasn't moved or failed in any way, my light goes 3 o'clock ......the Laserlyte Trirail has been very solid

Situation dependent, as mentioned above. In the house, no, unless you are also carrying a sidearm; in which case if you have a jam with the shotty, you can let it hang on your weak arm while you use your sidearm instead of dropping it on the floor for the bad guy to recover and use on you. As for the bg grabbing the shotty, he better hang on tight because it will be spitting at him sling or no sling.

A little bayonet/buttstroke practice can be useful in the above situation. ;)

I'm in the 'do I need' or 'would it help' category too. Here's my query: As an officer we didn't have slings on the patrol unit shotgun. That said, I have some old guy shoulder issues. Does a sling help me maintain the weapon at fire ready position and transfer some of the weight to the sling/back/neck? I saw a great video where at the ready, the weapon is literally held by front hand tension and the sling. I'm working on the shoulder, but there's some damage that'll take PT, etc. Thoughts? I've never used one, and will appreciate some of the wiser folks chiming in. Mine is multi-purpose in ShTf, but intended as a defensive house gun. Thanks

I'm in the 'do I need' or 'would it help' category too. Here's my query: As an officer we didn't have slings on the patrol unit shotgun. That said, I have some old guy shoulder issues. Does a sling help me maintain the weapon at fire ready position and transfer some of the weight to the sling/back/neck? I saw a great video where at the ready, the weapon is literally held by front hand tension and the sling. I'm working on the shoulder, but there's some damage that'll take PT, etc. Thoughts? I've never used one, and will appreciate some of the wiser folks chiming in. Mine is multi-purpose in ShTf, but intended as a defensive house gun. Thanks

Like most stuff it's dependent on the precise circumstances you think you might encounter, and your personal preferences. You need to evaluate the pros and cons of a sling, a light, laser, etc. Any of these things can be a help or hindrance and you won't really know until you try them out in practice sessions. Will the sling get hung up on a bed post, door knob or something as you stumble out of bed at 2 am? Do you know how to hold the shotgun on target with one hand and finger on the trigger, without a sling while you load a shell or 2? Do you know how to use a light without illuminating yourself or giving your position away?, ?, etc. etc. Fighting with a shotgun requires practice and training, just like anything else. :)

Take a look at this, might help you decide which way to go. http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-83-fighting-with-a-shotgun/

Last edited:
Like most stuff it's dependent on the precise circumstances you think you might encounter, and your personal preferences. You need to evaluate the pros and cons of a sling, a light, laser, etc. Any of these things can be a help or hindrance and you won't really know until you try them out in practice sessions. Will the sling get hung up on a bed post, door knob or something as you stumble out of bed at 2 am? Do you know how to hold the shotgun on target with one hand and finger on the trigger, without a sling while you load a shell or 2? Do you know how to use a light without illuminating yourself or giving your position away?, ?, etc. etc. Fighting with a shotgun requires practice and training, just like anything else. :)

Take a look at this, might help you decide which way to go. http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-83-fighting-with-a-shotgun/

Outstanding piece, thanks. I can see more issues with one than without inside. And yes, only practice and training make the shotgun an effective piece, absolutely true.

The only time a sling helps in HD is retention, keeping someone from separating you and your weapon

Out and about, it's a must for packing your weapon any mentionable distance

It's a must when you need both hands but don't want to be separated from your weapon

With a rifle it's also a great shooting aid

In SHTF a sling has endless possibilities of viable uses besides packing you weapon

^ This.

I'm in a situation where my shooting/training practices are open to new possibilities. For the past several years the only rifle range available for use required shooting from a fixed position at fixed distances from a stall. Now, I'm able to use a facility which allows and encourages more practical training like engaging targets on the move from multiple shooting positions and distances. There's rarely ever a table or rack to place my weapon on where I need one.

Other than the uses mentioned above, where the sling really comes into play as a benefit for me is when practicing transition from my primary to secondary weapon. Much easier to simply drop my rifle or shotgun onto the sling and draw my sidearm than having to set it down on the ground and more practical than setting it down on a table. I can then holster my sidearm and my primary is on my chest ready to go.

Also, having the added point of support comes in handy during reloads. The front attachment point can support and balance the forward weight of the rifle or shotgun so all of the weight is not on your trigger hand. Makes reloads go a lot smoother and faster when you're not having to change your grip or prop the weapon up on your hip, etc...

^ This.

I'm in a situation where my shooting/training practices are open to new possibilities. For the past several years the only rifle range available for use required shooting from a fixed position at fixed distances from a stall. Now, I'm able to use a facility which allows and encourages more practical training like engaging targets on the move from multiple shooting positions and distances. There's rarely ever a table or rack to place my weapon on where I need one.

Other than the uses mentioned above, where the sling really comes into play as a benefit for me is when practicing transition from my primary to secondary weapon. Much easier to simply drop my rifle or shotgun onto the sling and draw my sidearm than having to set it down on the ground and more practical than setting it down on a table. I can holster then my sidearm and my primary is on my chest ready to go.

Also, having the added point of support comes in handy during reloads. The front attachment point can support and balance the forward weight of the rifle or shotgun so all of the weight is not on your trigger hand. Makes reloads go a lot smoother and faster when you're not having to change your grip or prop the weapon up on your hip, etc...

Combat reloads: Try this.

From a standard shoulder mount, move the gun from your shoulder to a high tuck position so that you can keep the muzzle on the target and have sufficient leverage with the stock under your armpit so that you can hold it with your strong hand, finger on or near the trigger, while you use your weak hand to reload a shell or 2 from your carrier. Once the reload is finished you can remount to shoulder. Only takes a split second to go from shoulder to high tuck or back. And you retain the ability to get at least one shot off from a one handed high tuck during the reload. Try it out, you may like it. :)

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, I think having the mounts is a good option if you think you'd ever need to be on the move with the shotgun. You don't need to keep the sling on it all the time and you probably don't need one for HD. You never know though I guess. I have sling mounts on all my AR's/AK's and my 590A1 but the slings are on the shelf and not on the guns. My hunting rifles and shotguns have slings mounted all the time.

If you got the 50676 it doesn't come with a sling. If you want to do something with your hands besides hold a shotgun, you need a sling. If you shoot a lot of slugs with a 50676 you can use the sling to improve your hold. I sling with a cotton Garand sling. Remove the clip that Garand slings have, and run it directly through the sling swivel. I chose Uncle Mike's Mil-Spec swivels. I have my way of doing things, and your mileage may vary.

50676.jpg I think a sling is imperative. Home defense, hunting, whatever. If you want to do something with your hands besides hold a shotgun, if you need to shoot slugs with no sights, if you have occasion to stop a bleeding artery, if you want a little something extra to grab ahold of... I have a 50676 and use a USGI cotton web Garand sling with the rear clip removed. Uncle Mike's Mil-Spec swivels aren't pretty, but have a lot of advantages. I have my quirky ways, though. Your mileage may vary.

Back