• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Adjustable stock on 410 bore 500?

dfhawkins

.22LR
Most adjustable stocks designed for the Mossberg 500s fit models in 12 gauge and 20 gauge. I am looking at the Mossberg 500 Cruiser in a 410 bore for teaching the grandkids shotgun, and I hope to replace the pistol-grip-only stock with an adjustable stock from Black Hawk, ATI or Ultimate Arms . Is the receiver at the butt stock end the same dimension and design with its bigger siblings to allow attachment of an adjustable stock?

Welcome.

Unfortunately, no. The .410 caliber 500E receiver is much more narrow than the 12 ga 500A and 20 ga 500C models, so the stocks for the larger bores will not fit...

If you're worried about recoil you can use a limbsaver pad on it. It's worth it's weight in gold.

("If you're worried about recoil you can use a limbsaver pad on it. It's worth it's weight in gold." ripjack13)

410 recoil is not of concern here. We need to grow gun interest, enjoyment and training in the young as well as with adults. And, as an NRA Instructor, I am looking for a way to set up a shotgun to fit the various sized kids and adults as a tool for training. My grandkids, neighbor kids and many of their friends come in so many shapes and sizes that it begs for an adjustable stock. This may require the development of some type of stock modification. Ideas?

Don't know that anyone's figured that one out yet.

A tapered adapter plate to mate up between the .410 and 20 ga stocks would be the simplest solution for someone with the means and skills to fabricate one. It's definitely not me though. I'm much better suited for demolition...

Will pick up an older Mossy 500 in 410 bore today for a comparison with an ATI adjustable stock on my Maverick 80. I'll report back on the feasibility of modification... if possible.

There will be a significant difference in the width of the receivers. Mesa Tactical recently produced a 20/12 gauge Remington adapter, so there are folks looking for solutions. You might contact them and ask if there is any R&D in the works for a .410/20 gauge conversion. If not, we do have a few folks here on the forum with some serious fabrication skills...

How about getting a 510 mini .410 stock (LOP 10.5- 11.5") using those two for starters and making a couple of other 1" spacers as needed. ?????

Something like this,,,,,,
cut 2.JPG

Having measured 12/20/410 receivers (Mossberg 500s) at the stock attachment, and attempting to fit an ATI adjustable stock to a borrowed Mossberg 500 in 410 bore, I am convinced that the plastic stock at the receiver attachment point can be successfully modified and firmly attached. As soon as the new Mossberg 500 "Cruiser" 410 and adjustable stock arrive, I will post the project with images. Should be a worthy endevor and a good excuse to engage all shooters great and small. And after all, what is Thanksgiving in Texas without some range days with the Grandkids?

Looking forward to your updates.

What part of Texas? I was born and raised in the DFW area...

We have Kids and Gkids in the San Antonio area and enjoy spending time out there. Flew in and out of some airbase (Base Closing casualty) years ago and mostly remember it for an incredible steak house on the outskirts of FW. Huge grill, pick out your steak, the cooks season and grill it, it comes to you at a picnic table. Good eating! ;)

I am looking forward to the report as well.
With our first kid on the way, and I already have a 500E so an adjustable stock would be a great thing.
I know I have time but I have even already started loading .410 and 20ga shells for her.
Coming from me and the wife she will have no choice about shooting shotguns!!

It's been a long time Lazy. All that's left in the memory is what counts... the taste of a great steak, the aircrew I was with, and the ambience of the place. Ambience... can you use that word for a no-frills/good-eats steak house? Anyway, that's Fort Worth, TX to me.

Nice....looking forward to this.

I bought a 510 mini .410g for my wife and and she likes just the factory stock...

20141024_175029-M.jpg

410 is in. Now to wait on the adjustable stock. Having never used a shotgun affixed with only a pistol grip, I found shooting it rather... "Pointless". :D

Back