• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

quiet22

Hello Mossberg board.........old timer who owned a Mossy 25 years ago......now coming back.

I traded in my Baikal MP220 SXS 20 ga.....can really only aim one barrel if you use an optic......realized it was not my best choice though the product is sturdy and well made. Also 2 shots in different locations vs 5 shots out 1 barrel in one direction when target shooting or hog hunting....is just better!

After researching my own needs......I went with a 505 20 gauge.....Reason......very small and light...wish it was 18 "....recoil is not my concern......I like 20 gauge....I love smooth bore slug target shooting out to 100 yds....now waiting my California 10 day wait to pick up. I plan on stripping down the birch finish and putting on the Russian Red (Rit dye) that I did with my youth Marlin 336y with urethane coating.

In the meantime.....will transfer my 1.5-4.5 scope and a new rail from the Baikal to the Mossy and have bought a smattering again of different slugs to judge their patterns (Brenneke, Rem, Win, Truball(which was the best in the Baikal), Dupplek, yada yada)

I'm glad to be back.

Welcome to the forum from NY and welcome back to Mossberg's.

Congrats on your "soon to be" new Mossy. Don't forget the pics when you pic her up.:)

The birch should soak up a lot of the RIT dye.

I've dyed several AK stocks with it over the decades and it turns out really nice if you take your time and seal it with Polyurethane.

I like "crimson red" for AK's ;)

Happy Day.....picked it up this afternoon........have already installed the weaver scope mount and the 1.5-4.5 Tasco Worldwide Shotgun scope with low Millett rings.

The wood finishing isn't bad......but I'm sure I'll get inspired to refinish in my Russian Red when I find a moment to have more fun. The blueing looks good and I see no cosmetic flaws....nicely done. All that's left for testing is function, beyond running 5 shells through the mechanism succussfully , when I can get down to the range for a day....I already bought a variety of slugs to see which one is best and I switched the medium choke that was installed with the included IC. I will try to upload a photo of the stock 505 with scope......yippee!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum quite22 !!

Congrats on the new 505 !

The red dye job on the Marlin turned out nice....

Howdy and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Nice lookin redhead!!! Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13
smiley-greet013.gif

Back