• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

PA House Just Gave The State Preemption Law It's Teeth

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I have been publishing updates on this effort in the regional area but wanted to share the good news with all. The PA house just voted through HB 80 that will 1) Help prevent/remove state preemption violations, 2) Help people restore their gun rights 3) firm up reporting to NICS. #1 and 2 were high on the PA gun owners list.

It has been quite an ordeal. It passed the house last week. The Senate sub committee monkey'd with it and added the part to help restore lost gun rights to people that qualify. The Senate passed it Friday. It had to go back to the house today due to the senate addition for a straight pass/reject vote. It passed by a little under 2/3 majority.

We have had a whole pile of crappy cities and towns (all democrat run) get mad that Harrisburg won't pass the gun laws that they wanted so they just thumbed their nose at the state and passed their own. The NRA was fighting Philly on this and a state judge ruled they had no legal standing to be involved. Now, groups like the NRA can participate in preemption cases in the state and better yet, the loser pays all court costs including the victor's legal fees.

The mayor of the nearest city to me (MAIG leader for PA) has already been on record whining that his illegal law will probably be removed from the books rather than face a courtroom of NRA legal eagles.

What I learned:
1) it is hard as hell to get anything done in Harrisburg even with a republican house, senate and governor.
2) In regards to #1, it will be very hard to get a middle of the night "Safe Act" passed here.
3) The anti's went all in on winning this. The were the ones that talked these communities into passing the illegal laws and some even went so far as to offer legal costs if it ever went to court. They have to be scrambling. They lied like I didn't know was possible to try and save their butts.
4) The anti's wanted this because they needed that foot in the door to have communities do what they can't get the state to do. In some ways this puts CeaseFirePA back years.
5) I haven't been this pumped up since I brought my Ruger SP-101 home last year!:)

Last edited:
We did much the same in MS early last year, but some municipalities, judges, police depts, etc. are still fighting it. They just don't believe that people have the guts to actually take them to task, until it hits them personally in the wallet. Good luck up there, the real fight is just starting. :) Watch for campaigns to get No Guns signs posted on every store front in the state. We even have had Police/Sheriff's going around handing out signs to businesses. :mad:

I can only like your post once Mike....sorry. I would've liked it more if I could +1000000000000000))0000

Now tell em to do the same here.

Thanks Gunny. Our courts have been real good about the preemption law...when a case actually get to them. That only happens after a citizen is arrested on a bogus law and has to fund the legal defense out of their own pocket. Now those towns can and will face NRA funded legal teams. I don't think they want to punish the smaller towns so much is make an example out of Philly. Philly doesn't like legal gun owners and the police are known to put legal open carriers on the ground for 30 minutes while they check them out.

We haven't had a lot of No Guns signs going up around here yet. The anti's have the "background check" loopholes in their sights though. We can still privately sell a long arm to another individual without a check. Buying from a dealer, even at a gun show, does require the check. I have asked many times how much 100% checks will reduce our crime rate but have never received an answer other than "it's a common sense law that doesn't hurt lawful gun owners".

I am glad the law passed. I was getting tired of making calls at night and on my lunch break. It just killed the anti's in PA that Harrisburg didn't pass any gun laws since Newtown. Now they have passed gun laws. With all the sarcasm I can muster, somehow I don't think this will make them happy... LOL!

Last edited:
I can only like your post once Mike....sorry. I would've liked it more if I could +1000000000000000))0000

Now tell em to do the same here.
Ripjack, if I was president I'd fix Malloy and Cuomo. They would be sorry they ever met me. I really hope you guys up north can get some changes in your gubernatorial and state offices. My fingers are crossed for ya!

Thanks man....I hope to hell it happens too.

Thanks Gunny. Our courts have been real good about the preemption law...when a case actually get to them. That only happens after a citizen is arrested on a bogus law and has to fund the legal defense out of their own pocket. Now those towns can and will face NRA funded legal teams. I don't think they want to punish the smaller towns so much is make an example out of Philly. Philly doesn't like legal gun owners and the police are known to put legal open carriers on the ground for 30 minutes while they check them out.

We haven't had a lot of No Guns signs going up around here yet. The anti's have the "background check" loopholes in their sights though. We can still privately sell a long arm to another individual without a check. Buying from a dealer, even at a gun show, does require the check. I have asked many times how much 100% checks will reduce our crime rate but have never received an answer other than "it's a common sense law that doesn't hurt lawful gun owners".

I am glad the law passed. I was getting tired of making calls at night and on my lunch break. It just killed the anti's in PA that Harrisburg didn't pass any gun laws since Newtown. Now they have passed gun laws. With all the sarcasm I can muster, somehow I don't think this will make them happy... LOL!

Sent you a PM.

Thanks LES.

The anti gunners here are writhing like a snake with a terminal wound. I must say I love it.

It's a good thing we got this through as the current session is ending and we will have a commie/democrat governor after the next election. It will be status quo here though as they won't take either house in the legislature. At least this dem will be from a smaller county and not Philly. The last Philly governor we had was nicknamed "Fast Eddie".

Even then, stay on top of them brother.

It's when people think they're safe that some of the worst damage is done. I don't trust the republicans any more than I do the dems. Deals get made across party lines all the time.

The only way to keep your reps in check is to let them know their actions are being watched at every turn. Constant communication with feedback, good or bad, let's them know you're watching. The more people involved, the more scrutiny they feel their actions are under and they will be far more likely to vote for the people instead of for themselves...

Even then, stay on top of them brother.

It's when people think they're safe that some of the worst damage is done. I don't trust the republicans any more than I do the dems. Deals get made across party lines all the time.

The only way to keep your reps in check is to let them know their actions are being watched at every turn. Constant communication with feedback, good or bad, let's them know you're watching. The more people involved, the more scrutiny they feel their actions are under and they will be far more likely to vote for the people instead of for themselves...

You know it! I am still writing and calling...the governor still needs to sign it though I'm sure he will. You are right too about not trusting either side. What's the old line?...97% of the politician's make the others look bad.

The news rag in the nearest city had a staffer write an editorial in support of towns ignoring the preemption law. I posted online and thought I did well defending it. I even pulled a democrat running for the state house in the northern end of the county into the mix and had him trying to counter my posts. He had some subtle insults and tried to come across as an intellectual but I kept it clean and had a lot of positive response to my answers.

Awesome news Mike !!!

Thanks for bringing this fight to the forefront...a true victory for all Pennsylvanians !!

I thought this thread was done now but I had to add a last note. When the governor signed the bill, he signed the wrong bill. Some clerical person noted it was wrong. My first concern was losing it under some technicality but they just had to resign the correct and final version of the bill. It will delay implementation by a week though. How can you sign the wrong bill?...ugggh.

Preemption is a wonderful thing. MI has it and while we still have some localities that try to enforce old laws on the books, they do get beat out in the courts, and often before then if they gun owner actually knows the laws and doesn't cave to their intimidation. Only problem is when the victim does not have the wherewithal to fight it.

Glad you guys got this and glad it didn't get hosed on a clerical error. Makes me wonder if some anti-gun clerk gave intentionally gave him the wrong bill to sign.

Well, the story didn't end yet. Several state house Dumocrat's and the city where the state MAIG leader rules are starting lawsuits on the bill on Constitutional grounds. They are claiming issues with how it was enacted. I don't think it will work but will delay implementation. Of course the they may find a liberal activist judge who will side with them. Isn't that how it works now? Judges make law, Presidents ignore law and Congress sits on their thumb.

Back