• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Seeking opinions on unconventional defensive shells

Thanks, but as Cabela's doesn't carry those, they don't help me at the moment. I'm trying to evaluate the two linked products, and the shell you pointed me two is apparently of a totally different type.

pdx1 are not a gimmick. They are a deadly choice in defensive ammo as it pertains to HD.....as you move to a different environment or ask it to do something like hunting, there are better choices

FYI, your links are both for the Herters

I like the PDX1. I've patterned a few of them at HD range. I liked what I saw. Take care. Tom Worthington

I really like the PDX1. My buddy suggested it when we were discussing slug vs buck for HD purposes. He shot some at the range and said it was excellent with tight patterning.

I've got a few PDX shells in my tube right now. They patterned fairly well at typical HD distances from my 18.5 inch cyl bore bbl.

I've also got some of the Brenneke reduced recoil "tactical" home defender slugs. I've only shot a few of those and seemed also accurate but I liked the PDX concept of having the 3 extra buck balls in the mix. Truth be told with well placed shots over the vitals either of the two will get the job done at indoor ranges.

Just get the PDX if thats all they had and be done with it then.

Good luck.

I progress my shells.
(in firing order, not load order)
Start with 5x 00 buck
2x Herters Double Defense (6 00 buck and 1 round ball)
2x Herters Double Ball(2 round balls)

I bought a couple of boxes of the 12 gauge Winchester segmenting slugs when I went to Cabela's in Tulalip, WA. They shoot fine from my 18.5" shotgun. I use 00 buckshot for HD but I bought some slugs for those "Just in case" scenarios which will hopefully never happen.

I actually like the Herter's buck and ball.

Just gotta realize that pumpkin ball will take off a leg or punch a hole straight through 2 or 3 bad guys.

Shooting it and seeing the penetration really gives you the feeling of "holy shiite!"

I guess I missed this post. But I find the pdx round to be a gimmick only. And a terrible hd round.

I've shot the PDX out to 50 yards. The slug is fairly accurate and some buck land on target.... some lol.

I've shot the PDX out to 50 yards. The slug is fairly accurate and some buck land on target.... some lol.
50 yds and the slug is on target is good. IMHO PDX is bad ass for HD /SD depending on your environment. I use 9 pellet 00 buck and am in a stud of a brick plaster and lath home - the same as the whole city block. Just me and my wife. Worst case - something gets out a window or through a door but I do not let over penetration bother me. As we are set up i think the odds are in MY favor. As always (to others) YMMV!

50 yds and the slug is on target is good. IMHO PDX is bad ass for HD /SD depending on your environment. I use 9 pellet 00 buck and am in a stud of a brick plaster and lath home - the same as the whole city block. Just me and my wife. Worst case - something gets out a window or through a door but I do not let over penetration bother me. As we are set up i think the odds are in MY favor. As always (to others) YMMV!
Unless I'm trying to shoot through something to get to you... for HD purposes 00 Buck is plenty fine. I have slugs on the side saddle JIC

what are the buck rounds going to really do that the slug cant accomplish ? and shooting a slug in a house ? never.

no, one could never say that. but I would consider both a poor choice in most cases. the combination is worse and basically a gimmick to me.
that being said, I would not have a problem if one so chooses to use it. not my business. I just use either #4 buck or #1 buck.

Back