• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930

Skyguy

.22LR
Hello all. Was looking for a low cost gun to get back into Skeet so i got the 930. Took it apart, cleaned and inspected it before shooting it. At the range fired 100 rds no problem 22 out of 25 first round of Skeet. Everyone was really impressed with my "Cheap" Gun. Took it home and cleaned as i did before including removing gas rings from piston. Next time i went out shot about 50 rds and had 5 or 6 ejection issues. The bolt locked back but shell rim caught on ejector. Also when dropping single rds in the breach bolt closed slow and not all the way about 3 or 4 times. Thanks in advance for the input!

Your gun is doing exactly what mine did when I shot it in the cold without performing an initial cleaning.

What kind of lube did you use? How much? Where?

Was it cold out?

Are you sure everything is back together the way it is supposed to be?

Your gun is doing exactly what mine did when I shot it in the cold without performing an initial cleaning.

What kind of lube did you use? How much? Where?

Was it cold out?

Are you sure everything is back together the way it is supposed to be?
It was above freezing, damp. Outers gun oil used sparingly. Perhaps too sparingly. Will try more around gas cyl and bolt. Gun was stripped and cleaned same way. gas rings as per Jerry Miculeks video.

I would imagine your bolt's failure to lock in battery could be related to cosmoline gelling up inside of your buffer tube. If you haven't, take that thing apart and clean it well. Inspect the buffer as well as the tube for jagged metal where it could be hanging up. The FTEs could be related to that as the buffer may not be allowing the bolt to unlock/move properly.

I assume i just take the slot screw i see from the end out. While the stock is off any ideas on stock lengthening? My cheek is taking quite a beating. I lowered with the shims provided 1/4 inch and put a slip on pad on and still getting bruised.

I assume i just take the slot screw i see from the end out. While the stock is off any ideas on stock lengthening? My cheek is taking quite a beating. I lowered with the shims provided 1/4 inch and put a slip on pad on and still getting bruised.

MAKE SURE THE BOLT IS REMOVED BEFORE DOING THIS!!!
Yeah, take that nut off of the buffer tube to take off the stock. Then you'll have to depress the plunger inside the tube while sliding the little retaining pin out. I use a flat head to depress the plunger, and a small screw driver for the pin, works ok. Be careful, there is quite a lot of pressure behind that from the spring. Then you should be left with that pin, the "rear plunger" as I'm calling it, the buffer spring, buffer tube and the buffer itself. Clean all of them and hopefully that will solve your issues.
As far as not getting beat in the cheek I finally bought a cheek pad for mine because I have the same issue. My jaw is sore for a few days after only shooting 50 or so light sporting loads.
Here is the cheek pad I bought, it makes a world of difference. Plus it's got a pouch where I can hide things from the old lady.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EJPRJOM/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1418901824&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Recoil buffer tube and spring did not appear to be too bad but the oil/lube appeared tacky. Cleaned and shot 2 rds of Skeet (50 rds) then loaded 4rds and fired as fast as i could. Worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help. Wishing you and you family a Safe and Merry Christmas. Wolf.

Recoil buffer tube and spring did not appear to be too bad but the oil/lube appeared tacky. Cleaned and shot 2 rds of Skeet (50 rds) then loaded 4rds and fired as fast as i could. Worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help. Wishing you and you family a Safe and Merry Christmas. Wolf.

Thanks, man. Glad it worked out. Merry Christmas.

Glad that you got the 930 up to speed.
Low cost Skeet guns to me have always been 500's. ;)

Just put a Morgan adjustable pad on. Had to build a plate for the plastic stock, will let you know how it shoots on sat. any thoughts anyone on the stevens 555?

My buddy has a Silver Reserve II Field Model. Nice looking piece. Definitely lower quality, though. The trigger pull is about a mile long, it's finnicky with cocking, no ejectors. In my opinion, if you want an OU spend more money and get a nicer one.

Back