• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Troubleshooting

cleaned it today and still the same problem and all the parts look good anyone have any idea ?

Can you take a close up pic of your extractor? I'm thinking it could be that. Maybe it's been worn out a lil and that could be why its dropping them out....

the bottom 2 parts in the pic is what I'm referring to...

I'm new to the board, hopefully someone here can help me out! I have searched the board and couldn't find this specific area addressed anywhere.

I have been turkey and duck hunting with my 835 "Ulti-Mag" for around 12 years now, and it has been a great gun until last year. I have been having an issue with it not firing every time. Last year I clicked on a turkey at 25 steps and I almost left the gun beside the tree I was leaning on! After the turkey flew off, I ejected the shell and noticed that the primer had only a very small indentation on it where the firing pin hit it.

Cooler heads prevailed, and I took it home and removed the bolt and soaked it for several hours in Hoppes #7 solvent to try to get rid of any grime that might be impeding the firing pins action. I cleaned it up and reassembled the gun and shot 16 rounds through it just fine. All of the primers seemed to have a relatively deep indentation. Round number 17 clicked and upon my inspection I noticed it had done the same thing - left a small indentation in the primer. Round number 18 fired, but round number 19 did not.

I am planning to replace the firing pin and possibly the firing pin spring if I can get the bolt disassembled. I have been researching the removal of the firing pin all over the internet, but I have not been able to find much help. I am having trouble removing the bolt lock pin and the firing pin retaining pin. The only help I have been able to find is this video on the disassembling of a Mossberg 590 bolt:
I have tried using a punch and hammer on both of the pins as he shows in the video, but I have not had any success in getting either to budge. I am worried that if I hit it too hard it may mushroom on the end. Has anyone ever successfully accomplished this and can offer any suggestions/tricks? If so, do you think that my problem lies in one of these two parts: the firing pin itself or its spring? If not, any ideas on what might be causing this malfunction?

Thanks
Hello all, a am also a new member. I have been a Mossberg shooter since I joined the Army in 2001. Since I have been out, I have owned quite a few Mossbergs. I currently have one 500 with a security set up, one 500 with the muzzle loader conversion barrel, one Maverick 88 with a security set up, and the reason for this post is my 835 is having this same issue. I waterfowl hunt, and I just picked up this shotgun last spring used. I put about 5 or 6 rounds through it and it looked good. My first trip out, I pulled the trigger 14 times before I heard it go bang. I was pretty mad, but it was the only gun I had with me. I ended up with 3 geese that day.

So, I took it home stripped the bolt and cleaned it a lot! Took it out and ran 6 more test rounds through it, again it seemed good. But the next trip out it went click on the first shot every time, the second shot would go bang, then the third was a click again. I lost almost a full box of shells into the river trying to pump it and shoot it.

Has anyone found an answer to this issue? I see that the original post is a few years old. I ended up sending it back to Mossberg last week, I have heard that they have a lengthy repair time. Hopefully I will get it back, functioning properly for next September goose season. I will post the fix, if they can fix it. Luckily I have a few extra Mossbergs to hunt with!

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your 835.

Sounds like a problem with the trigger assembly. Have you tried swapping the trigger assemble from one of your other Mossy's ?

Keep us posted.

Did you take pictures of innards before you sent it off? That helps us immensely here in trying to deduce the hindrance on the Mighty 835....

Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your 835.

Sounds like a problem with the trigger assembly. Have you tried swapping the trigger assemble from one of your other Mossy's ?

Keep us posted.
I was not sure if the trigger assembly from my 500 would work in it. I also didn't think of taking any pics before sending it out. I will keep you all posted as to what Mossberg finds.

So, I got my 835 back today! Mossberg replaced the bolt assembly, Hammer Mainspring and the Cartridge stop. I will have to wait a couple days until my back heals to take it out and shoot it. But I guess that is the fix for this issue. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to shoot it. Irony of ironies, I get my goose gun back on the last day of goose season, and I'm laid up with a hurt back.

Glad you got it back and hope the replacement parts did the trick.

Keep us posted on the progress with your back. I had a double lumbar fusion a couple years ago and know what it's like dealing with all of that...

So, I got my 835 back today! Mossberg replaced the bolt assembly, Hammer Mainspring and the Cartridge stop. I will have to wait a couple days until my back heals to take it out and shoot it. But I guess that is the fix for this issue. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to shoot it. Irony of ironies, I get my goose gun back on the last day of goose season, and I'm laid up with a hurt back.

Well...good to hear you got it back. Bummer about the back. I'm in the same boat. I missed turkey season cuz of an injury to my back and neck....

I know this is an old post but hope fur a response. How much did they charge fur the work done. I'm getting light strikes from my 835 and possibly gunna need the same done

I know this is an old post but hope fur a response. How much did they charge fur the work done. I'm getting light strikes from my 835 and possibly gunna need the same done

Howdy...welcome to the club...

we have six pages here...which member are you referring to?

Hello new member from KY here. Was looking for some help with my 835 ulti mag. Will try to describe as best I can. While shooting the gun if you hold back pressure on the forearm to brace against your shoulder the firing pin will lightly strike the primer but not fire. If holding forward pressure on forearm the gun will fire as normal. The bolt is moving with the forearm just enough to cause the misfire. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Back