• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Droid, Iphone, Blackberry Apps.

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I'll be getting my Casio G'zOne Commando on Monday.
The OS is the Android 2.2(Froyo). And i was wondering what apps you guys can suggest?

Also...have any of you "rooted" your phone? Pros / Cons of doing it...

Re: Droid, Iphone Apps.

Nice choice on an Android! I've downloaded all free apps and they work great. Just make sure you read the reviews before you download some. Some apps have "ads" in the corner, but they go away if you turn off your 3G or 4G internet. Some apps I've downloaded: a good QR scanner for finding good deals on products, a key ring app that you can scan and save all your store cards/rewards cards (best buy, grocery store rewards...etc), dictionary, flashlight, compass, Google Sky map, Omaha steak timer, amazon.com, air horn app, and a discount calculator, also of course ANGRY BIRDS!. Beware of Angry Birds, it's mighty fun addicting. Hope this helps.

Air horn app? Interesting... Ill have to check that out. Thanx for the suggestions!

air horn app came in handy the other morning, a bird was chirping away at 0-dark:30 and one push of a button and the bugger was gone.

I just a Samsung with android app stuff... I dont understand any of it.

dag nabit. they tell me monday. so i take monday off. now it's monday. i see on the fed ex website it's not going to be here till at least tuesday...boooo. might as well go to work and get full of drywall dust....

Any self-respecting man should immediately download the FartDroid app! It's a huge hit in meetings...

I really like the Dragon Diction app for my iphone

ah yes. that's like google voice?

You speak into it and it translates your words into writing which you can then email, text, Facebook, twitter, etc which I use a lot when I am catching up on emails while driving. I can just speak into the phone and when I stop I can just click send and move onto the next one.

The commando has arrived! I'll be charging it up and downloading some apps soon!

Not to shabby so far. I've been trying to figure it out....it's weird. I did find our how to save my ringtones and I'm almost done setting em up.

The smart phones take a little getting used to but you will pick it up quickly.

I've got the following on my Droid Thunderbolt (unless otherwise noted, these apps were not factory-installed on the phone):

Checkmark - todo list app
Tapatalk - for reading a number of gun forums
Firefox & Dolphin web browsers (still trying to decide which one I like better)
100 Pushups - because I need to get in better shape
Shot timer - haven't tried this one out yet
First Aid Checklist, U.S. Army Survival & USMC Summer Survival Manual
Photobucket - upload photos from my phone to my Photbucket account
Photoshop Express - do basic photo editing before uploading photos
Soundhound - listens to music (in a commercial, etc.) and tells you what song it is
Barcode scanners - Barcode Scanner, Complete Qr & ShopSavvy
Poynt - you can look up movies, gas stations, restaurants, & events based on your location; also includes yellow & white pages
Yelp - like Poynt, but with more categories
games - Robo Defense (tower game), Angry Birds, Tanks! Free (like Battlezone), Word Search
Google Sky Map - shows you celestial objects & constellations based on where you point it in the sky
Mapquest - also lets you look for restaurants, stores, coffee shops etc. based on location
NASA Images - over 100+ pages of NASA imagery
Speed Test - check the speed of your 3G/4G/WiFi connection
Weatherbug Elite - local weather, including radar & forecasts
Zedge - download wallpapers, ringtones & system sounds

If you're into running (or thinking you need to start) check out C25k. It stands for Couch to 5k and it trains you to be able to run .. well 5k. It starts off slow making you walk for 5 min, jog for set time, walk for a set time, jog for a set time, ect ect then cool down by walking for 5 min again. Each day it increases how long you run and shortens how much you walk. It gives you voice prompts and 'motivational comments' now and then on when to start/stop a task. You can even play your music from the same app and it'll pause the music to give you voice commands then start it back up again. I don't remember if it was free or not, but it's defiantly helped me work on my stamina and it's always bragging rights to say "Yea, so I run 5k every other day." You know we men gotta keep up appearances. :lol:

A couple more apps I have on my Droid:
Fox News
OI File Manager - lets you find & move files on your phone
ESV Bible & Biblereader ESV
Beautiful Widgets - lets you customize your clock, battery meter, weather widget etc without rooting
Carbonite Access - lets me access files that Carbonite backed up on my laptop
Merriam Webster dictionary
NASA APOD (Astronomy Photo of the Day)

Has anyone rooted their phone?

Yep, but unless you're into programming your phones os to do things it can't normaly or sideloading apps if you have an AT&T phone, there isn't much point

just added

Pocket full of arms

got some good sound effects for incoming messages

my wife just rolls her eyes :roll: and walks away

Back