• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camo~ patterns and techniques for firearms, bows and gear

I really want to try this
Do it Do it Do it Do It Do It Do It!!!

I love the idea of water transfer but have proven through past attempts that I am definitely water transfer impaired.

JA, can you hook me up with the best bang for the buck place in this thread ?

Using Duracoat for the base ?

what do you do for prep ?

my pistol is kinda in pieces at the moment......might be a good time for me to quit being a little girl about it.....MIGHT

I am using duracoat, however, it's been a few years since I bought any and I'm on the last of my supplies just doing this project and to be honest, I'm not sure who has the best pricing right now.

Matter of fact, the paint I used yesterday was too dated, but it was probably 3 years old or maybe a little more, but the newer (fresher) stuff I had in the cabinet is working fine, but duracoat is slow as hell to dry especially when it's cool and low humidity.

Depending on which kit you are interested in, this one (having 2 part paint and clear coat with hardener) is probably as good as duracoat or maybe even better.

http://www.camodipkit.com/products.htm

I like the new ATACS camo pattern these guys are offering too.

http://www.camodipkit.com/patterns-camo.htm

You'll still have to buy one of those plastic storage tubs to dip your parts in at walmart or kmart or somewhere because your better half will kill you if you try to use the bathtub or sink.

But the link above is probably the best option out there as where "quality" is concerned.

There are some other places that are cheaper that are selling little rattle cans of paint and clearcoat with the film kits but they're not nearly as durable as using good paints for cheaper.

Got a 50 gallon storage tub today filled about 3/4 way up letting the temp warm up to room temp because from my past experiences it does better around 72-75 degrees so I will still have to add some warm water just prior to dipping and I used some scrap 16 gauge electric wire to make some handles to hold on to the parts and to use to hang when everything is drying.

The base coat is dry and ready. Film and activator should be here Monday.

Hurry up and wait.

water%20dip%20006_zpsw1ohulrd.jpg

water%20dip%20002_zpsdj5vsi25-1.jpg

Yeah but now you got me waiting too

I think my little ar has too many gaps , nooks and crannies to look right with a patterned camo....what do you think ?

More than this?

ChristmasTree2010024.jpg

Hint: Do the major assemblies separately.

Though in all honesty, I do the upper and lower together as 1 piece though so the pattern matches when you put them together.

I'm just awesome that way

Not

Though mine are more professional looking than many manufacturers because I take the pains that manufacturers don't usually take. They have a box of parts and a quota to fill.

I have a box of parts that I want to look good when I'm done.

I have no doubt that you could do the same if you wanted.

AR4salecropcloseup.jpg

see , I absolutely love what you have. I just cant tell its a pattern , didn't know till you told me. It looks like military type camo job not "real tree" if that makes since.

I want a Kryptec pattern but I'm afraid the "magic" would be lost because the pattern would be so broke up

I think I might be happier with an atacs or natural gear like pattern ...if I do it....freakn awesome black too. Not hunting with them, and if it gets bad enough I guess rattle can and go works

Kryptek would be a pain. I'm not going to lie. I wouldn't really want to go there with a lot of corners either.

I think the kryptek would be better on a solid/traditional stock or something where you would have to dip it once, but I think you're right about all the various pieces and the numerous dips you'd have to do on what you have.

And it would get even worse with longer guns unless you had a huge dip tank/tub.

The other 2 camo patterns you mentioned the atacs and the natural gear would work with multiple dips because it doesn't have "connecting" patterns from a lack of better explanation. The kryptek has those little diamond shapes that are continuous. Not good at all for doing multiple dips.

Kryptec is better executed with an airbrush.

I've lost more than a few hours researching the technique and have a couple projects on deck just waiting for a stretch of warmer weather...

Kryptec is better executed with an airbrush

I tend to agree.

If you go back to some of my earlier posts of the early snakeskins, they were done with an airbrush. Of the several snakeskins that I did post pics of, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the ruger 10/22 stock that was colored in like a copperhead.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. They are appreciated.

I got the film pattern that I ordered today, however, the activator wasn't with it. I called them and asked and he said they typically don't ship the activator with the film, which is strange because I always got everything together before, but anyway, I asked when I should expect it and to get a tracking number and he said he'd get back in touch with me as soon as he looked it up.

Sooo...

I got the film measured and cut and it's so close, yet so far.

On a positive note, looks like I'm going to have enough film left over for maybe another small project or two. Maybe the Savage 22 stock, a trail camera or two, I just don't know yet.

But I know it's not going to go to waste that's for sure. ;)

Supervisor called me back and said it should've shipped with the film and apologized and said he'd take care of it and email me another tracking number.

Maybe with any luck I'll be done with it by next weekend now.

Seems like lately, all I've had with orders I've made has been one drama after another.

Activator is supposed to arrive Thursday.

At least they were quick at fixing their mistake. Shipped out the same day I called.

People make mistakes.....it's how they own it that makes the difference . It seems less and less people get it right the first time though

I'm not going to lie, if it was all there yesterday like it should've been, I would've probably been done with it this evening.

I also don't like having a lot of things laying around in parts for extended periods of time either. Increases the chances of something getting misplaced.

But the supervisor said he was sorry and fixed it the same day I called about it.

Realistically, that's all he could do, and he didn't lose a customer because of an honest and simple mistake.

When he apologized on the phone, he said he appreciated that I was patient with him. I told him I'm not going to jump up and down and that there's no need to cry about it, but I just need the stuff. It was a cordial conversation on both ends.

Coincidentally, he even emailed the tracking number personally.

Stuff happens sometimes. I can deal with it. It's not the end of the world. He handled it. Life goes on.

And to be entirely honest, there was a little extra film there than I ordered, so it just shows that they try to err on the right.

The area in the masking tape is what I'll be using on the crossbow. I may need to use a little more than this on a few of the small pieces, but that should be enough for the stock and the bow itself.

camo dip 001.JPG

I worked for hours getting this done. It had so many weird angles, I had to dip some of it twice to get better coverage in some places. I thought I was going to have quite a bit of film left over, but that wasn't the case after having to go over some of it.

Anyway, here ya go. It looks better in natural light without flash, but it's late and I can't control the sun ;)

I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.

camo dip 016.JPG
camo dip 019.JPG

Back