• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

worthwhile to add mid bead

Goater

Has anyone out there added a mid bead to their Silver Reserve? My Maverick 88 has one and there is something reassuring about mounting and using the mid bead, when shooting trap. I realize that it is functionless after one calls "pull", but I like pre-mounting with a mid bead for perspective.

Dropped the barrel off at the gunsmith today to add the mid bead. It is actually solving another problem for me ... referenced in my post about the recoil pad. I was having a problem with the heel being over my shoulder blade when I mounted the gun and I intended to resolve the issue with an adjustable recoil pad.

After watching many youtube videos about mounting and gun fit, I stumbled across one that suggested taping a drinking straw to the vent rib to check for the correct sight picture. When I did this, using the straw as a peep sight, the heel mounted correctly to my shoulder. I had been using the wrong sight picture when mounting. In my attempt to not see too much of the rib, it appears that I wasn't seeing enough.

To me, the easy correction for this is to simply add the mid bead ... seems to take care of the uncertainty about how much rib is too much or too little

This is the video that uses the straw to check fit and mount ... near the end, the straw comes into play ... it was an eye opener, so to speak for me

Being a Trap guy when on the line I NEED a mid bead.
When hunting or skeet or even sporting Clays I do not pre mount so it is not needed.

Glad to see that someone else places value on a mid bead. After searching other web sites on the subject, it sometimes seemed like only weenies used mid beads or those who needed one were oblivious to the need to have their gun fitted (obviously exaggerated but it almost seems this way). Anyway, I'm looking forward to trap shooting with an extra assurance that my gun mount is as it should be.

Back