• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I ordered my MVP this morning

UPDATE!
I ordered it the 11th of Feb. Then nothing...not a word. I tried to contact the store and because of the storms everything was shut down. Phone CS was down. Emails went through and were answered. No word on my rifle. I forgot to get the warranty so I started emailing about that. Finally today I got through. I was caller 21. I waited a half hour on the phone and when the CS rep answered he got the warranty thing sorted out...in 5 minutes. THEN he informed me that my rifle was already delivered to the FFL...on Friday the 13. 2 days after I ordered it.

Here's the kicker: I called the FFL today after I found out my rifle was already delivered to his shop, and his message said he is in Mayo Clinic...he said he has been sick for a long time. I never knew. Anyway, today he put all gun orders on hold at UPS and he will get them over to his shop when he returns on the 24th. I hopefully can pick up my rifle on the 25th...my next day off. Mine is in his shop, as it was delivered before he shut down. The gripe? I work in that town tomorrow and could have picked it up on company time. Dang!

Friday the 13th seems to be taking a long time to end.

More news as it comes in.

Damn, that sucks.

Good luck getting it sorted out...

Looks like it is sorted but now I just have to wait at least another week to pick it up. That storm left everything in a big mess. Thankfully the rifle is at the gun store and not stuck at UPS. I have had packages cut open by UPS employees and (it was a $600 45 cal air rifle) damaged. There was no attempt to cover the damage and the manager I complained to said basically...shit happens. We shall see what happens Wednesday.

MVP1.JPG MVP2.JPG MVP3.JPG MVP4.JPG MVP5.jpg After a long wait for my gun guy to get well enough to work, today I finally got my MVP Varmint 5.56.

I will mount the scope and sling and attach the bipod later. I took an hour to clean it up. After sniffing the Hoppes for an hour I got hungry and now I am sleepy. I will post more pics when I finish dolling her up.

I tried to mount the bipod and it went on great but I think another QD stud will make addition of a sling much easier. Or I could just use my tripod in the field.....OR add a stud to have the option of using a sling AND bipod.

Last edited:
Congrats! Cant wait for target pics
I intended to do that today but we got 5" new snow just about the time I got her all spiffed up. I am anxious to shoot. But I may be disappointed. I broke my collimator and had to order a new one. I had it bore sighted but now I am not sure the collimator was working right. I will re-sight if it gets here before I can get out and shoot. If I get to go to the range before the new set comes in I will just go shoot targets. It's not like i have never bore sighted down the tube. That gets me on paper also.

I thought I posted targets from my first range visit. It went very well until I stuck 2 bullets from low pressure loads down the pipe. I got them out with water and blanks. Not a fun day, but it's done and no damage to the rifle. Here are some pics of the 2 targets, the setup to remove the bullets and the culprits.

Here is the YouTube video that shows how to use water and a homemade blank to dislodge bullets:

FYI to anyone using copper solids: Make sure your powder charges are sufficient to push the bullet out of the barrel. I used 4.0 gr Trail Boss but that was not enough. (For Fire forming) Hodgdon site says that filling the case up to the point where the base of the bullet meets the powder, without compressing the powder, is a safe load. Trail Boss is such a low pressure powder eyeballing the powder level is good'nuff.

2 Stuck Copper 224 Bullets.JPG Barrel on Post.JPG Bullet Unstick Tools_2.JPG Group 1_ 3_2_15_2.jpg Group 2 and 3 _ 3_2_15_ 2.jpg

@ 30 cents a round i find them cheap enough for occasional plinking

I don't consider serious target shooting using 1-200 rounds at a session plinking. I want the best ammo I can get and I know my stuff is way better than factory. The rounds that stuck the bullets down the tube were fireform rounds with copper bullets. I learned to use more powder with copper bullets when using them for fireforming, with Trail Boss Powder. They are harder than lead core bullets and need more Wheaties. I got the bullets for less than 6 cents a bullet...no shipping charge; The cases are range brass...free...the primers were 3 cents apiece; and the 4 grains of powder, which should have been 6 grains cost about 2 cents a round. Let's see....11 cents a round. When I do it right, that is some cheap shootin. Those who have more money than guts pay the money and think they have it made. I prefer to stretch my dollars and my shooting experience by reloading. You do what you want. I will do the same and save a wad of money.

Don't let him light you up hombre...we know what and why you're doing it !!

Glad it worked out...

By the way hombre...did it ring the barrel !?

No damage can be seen. I think if the 2 bullets would have met inside the barrel when I fired they may have done damage. But the first bullet went to within 4" of the muzzle. The second one went in about 8" from the chamber. I stuck a rod in the breech and felt the bullet, then I shoved it forward and felt it stop. That is when I discovered I had 2 bullets in there.

After I got them out I scrubbed the bore and there is no sign of any damage. No discoloration and no bulges. Next time I shoot it I will know if there was any damage. If I can get the scope set again and shoot like I did before I will be pretty much convinced the barrel is ok. If the gun doesn't shoot so well, I will test it with another scope, then, well...time will tell.

Back