• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

barrels chromed?

No Sir, the barrels are not chrome lined.

The chroming process is utilized in rifles to help protect rifling and extend the life of the barrel. Aside from steel shot, most common shotgun ammunition is lead and much softer than the steel barrel itself. In addition, the wad in most shotgun ammunition encases the shot as it travels through the barrel preventing direct contact with the bore surface. There is simply no need for the chroming process in most shotguns, so there is no justification for the added cost...

Chrome lining flakes and comes off the inside of a barrel with use and thus degrades over time. And with few exceptions, is rarely necessary.

Unless you are going to be using it in high heat/humidity areas where a "normal" barrel would rust, don't fret the lack of chroming.

I live in an area where the humidity runs more than 70% most of the summer with 90+ temps and I don't have a problem keeping a standard barrel clear of rust.

Thanks for getting back ... I was just curious, since chromed barrels are a feature on my Silver Reserve. I wasn't sure if all Mossbergs had them. I suspect it is just the Turkish models.

Back