• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interesting thing happened to my bolt today

So today I took out my new MVP Patrol for the first time. I did clean and lube it up before taking it out. After about 50 successful rounds through it, I couldn't chamber another round. Thinking this was very weird, I tried taking the bolt out but I couldn't remove it. Wanting to get on with shooting other guns I put it away, thinking I would look at it at home. Well at home I noticed that the striker assembly was rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise to the bolt. This was causing the bolt to hit the stock both forward and back of the thumb rest. This is why I can't chamber anything or remove the bolt. Looking inside, the firing pin is still sticking out in the firing position. So my question is, what in the hell happened??? I know I'll probably need to send it in to Mossberg but I thought, just out of curiosity, I would ask here. Thanks in advance!

IMAG1404_small.jpg

It looks as though the firing pin (Bolt) did not stay cocked on opening on the last fired shot. Or, it released after being removed from the rifle.

I've done that manually when I had the bolt out tinkering with it. Took a vice and rotated it back in place. Wonder how the hell you did that?!

I had something similar happen to one of my Mosin bolts. It was so caked up with cosmoline on the inside that it stuck and didn't properly rotate back into position.

Have you had the bolt apart for a good, thorough cleaning?

Back