• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Will 3rd party magazines fit this rifle?

Cinco Pete

Copper BB
I recently bought ths MMR tactical. It is my first AR15 style rifle. Shoots great. I am looking for extra magazines but cannot find a part number from mossberg.
Will any other manufacturer mag fit?
So far the Promag 42 round, COL-A16 and the 30 round COL-A1 do not fit in the receiver. they are about .050" too long!
I will try others as i find them. Did Mossberg create a custom size? The brochure claims it will accept most other high capacity magazines.

Welcome aboard!

I've never had any luck with any ProMag AR mags, or their pistol mags for that matter. C-Products makes decent low-cost mags, but I stick with Magpul PMags in all my ARs.

Sadly, with all that's going on in the political climate you'll be lucky to find any AR mags right now for under $100...

After Christmas, I will try some of my friends mags. Before I buy any more that do not work. Does anyone have an aftermarket mag that does fit? I will give Mossberg a call tomorrow. Maybe they will have the original available.

Is there any markings on the factory mag that works with the gun? If so, we may be able to help you cross reference something specific if we know what they're currently using.

And LES is correct about promag. While a lot of their newer stuff is first rate, some of their older stuff is hit and miss.

And actually, a lot of plastic mags have issues in other guns too. Especially when they're fully loaded, some swelling may occur. Orlite, Thermold, and even Pmags won't fit in every gun on the planet either.

I'd personally try an aluminum or steel magazine and see how that goes. It may just be a tighter than usual magwell from excess anodizing or machining or ??????

.050 is only 500th of an inch.

But I know what you're saying, that mere 500th of an inch can mean the difference of a mag dropping freely on its' own or needing a tug.

Ok John, I will look closely at the factory mag for any markings. I did call Mossberg tech support about this. He says that it should be "AR15" compatible but like others have said, not all AR mags fit all AR rifles. Also, no part number yet to order additional mags from them, but expect ther to be one soon.
To be clear, those mags from promag, one steel and one polymer, will not even fit in the magwell. When I say too long, i mean from front of mag near the bullet tip to the rear of mag near the primer. The width seems to be OK. With some force they wil only go in about 1/8th of an inch! I dont think a hammer would get them in. I'm not talking about a sticky mag not falling out when the release button is pressed. .050" is 1/20th of an inch. A huge amount in machining tolerances.
I'll keep looking for other brands.
Thanks
Roy

Good news. A friend dropped by with a steel mag for his DPMS and a Magpul pmag and both fit perfectly. So like everyone has already said, no luck with promag. At least in this weapon.
Maybe this post will help someone else experiencing the same problem.
I am feeling so much better about my purchase. Now... on to some accessories.
Thanks again.

I am still waiting on my pmags from midway. Still on backorder. I just tried a CAA ar-15/ m16 polymer 30 round Israel made mag. Same problem. Will not fit in magwell. Gonna call mossberg to see what they say.

Man that sucks.

Keep checking around the local shops in your area. PMags are starting to pop up here and there in stores around here...

To my knowledge any AR mag will work...

That was my understanding as well.

There are always variations in certain mags/receivers but as a rule, any AR mag "should" work (Though I have no actual hands on experience with this model)

I'm a also a fan of the Magpul P-Mags.

Never liked them. I was issued 7 pmags in afg. No matter how much I tightened my magazine catch they would always fall out. I now have 6 left, unused, in a shoebox in my closet. I'll stick to my aluminum body with no tilt followers.

Never liked them. I was issued 7 pmags in afg. No matter how much I tightened my magazine catch they would always fall out. I now have 6 left, unused, in a shoebox in my closet. I'll stick to my aluminum body with no tilt followers.

If you want to clean your closet let me know!!! ;-D

I am, actually. I've got a tough box FULL of gear I'm looking to offload. Magazines, weapons parts, pouches, a lot of ACU and molle.

Maybe I'll post in the marketplace.

I know that this is an old thread but for anyone interested, Brownell's has Mil Spec AR Magazines that fit perfectly. Last time I ordered (about 2 weeks ago) they were $8.99 for a 30 round magazine on sale.

Back