• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question of the Month...(April 2015)

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

What do you say to the BG when you know your home has been invaded?
(Do you verbally warn him/her/them?)

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :)

Last edited:
Wow....It hasn't even been three seconds and you posted in here. Ha. Kidding bro...

,,,,or you could shout out to the 3BG standing in your living room,,,,excuse me I am armed and I just called the police. NOT

I like to think I would do the "right thing" and tell them to "GET DOWN!" and then they would be cuffed and Sheriffs called. But FL "Castle Doctrine" allows me to shoot and ask questions later so maybe that is the route I would take... ;) "Excuse me, could you stand over this tarp, please..." :D I have an assortment of "unmarked" break-in weapons, I mean "tools" I keep on hand, if necessary... :cool:

Been there done that, "What the F##k do you think you are doing" worked for me, maybe the fact that down here most would not expect to be met with deadly force, means that most are un or lightly armed, any way my question must have caught them by surprise as one of the tripped up at the door (on my foot) and left enough DNA for a conviction. Maybe it was just luck then again some say I can be just a bit intimidating, me, I think I am just a big pussy cat.

Caution: this approach may not work in all situations, user caution is advised.

Until we are all actually in the that position I don't think we'd know what to say...you would have to be in the moment and have your brain trying to wrap itself around what was going on. Sometimes words are hard to come by. Do you see them coming or do you see them when you walk around a corner, 5 feet from you? Are you armed or not, or is the BG between you and your firearm/weapon/mop handle? A lot of variables.

Also, in today's litigious society where everything you post can be traced and copied, I would advise against stating that you have "tools" to put in someone's hands that doesn't have any and how you would double tap/single tap a suspect even if it is a proven method. Not all state's laws are created equal and what might be ok in one state may very well be illegal in another. With the right (or wrong) lawyer it could be shown that you intended to setup and/or kill a break-in suspect when all you needed to do was stop them. These types of stories are popping up from time to time accusing a homeowner of being over zealous in the defense of their home. No need to give them extra ammunition (pun intended) to use against you.

And no, I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a couple times. I do brain surgery on the side (as a hobby) as well...

Last edited:
Also, in today's litigious society where everything you post can be traced and copied, I would advise against stating that you have "tools" to put in someone's hands that doesn't have any and how you would double tap/single tap a suspect even if it is a proven method. Not all state's laws are created equal and what might be ok in one state may very well be illegal in another. With the right (or wrong) lawyer it could be shown that you intended to setup and/or kill a break-in suspect when all you needed to do was stop them. These types of stories are popping up from time to time accusing a homeowner of being over zealous in the defense of their home. No need to give them extra ammunition (pun intended) to use against you.

+1

One needs to be careful about what they state online about these types of things because it may very well come up in court, if not criminal then civil.

+1

One needs to be careful about what they state online about these types of things because it may very well come up in court, if not criminal then civil.

Oh so true....

OK, Matlocks, you took my post out of context... :rolleyes: And it wouldn't be the first time I have mentioned a handy "tool" but this is Castle Doctrine so such measures are unnecessary... If a BG is found dead in your house by your hand, about the only way they will even consider prosecuting is if the BG has his hands tied behind his back and a bullet in the back of the skull! :eek: ;)

Not all states have a Castle Doctrine in effect and those that do aren't always equal. Some include vehicles, temporary dwellings (tents) and places of employment. Others exclude those. Several states still have a duty-to-retreat requirement even in your own home. Even in a Castle Doctrine state there are times when you can't use deadly force or the use of such is not justified could result in your being charged. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to this issue.

I, for one, will welcome them with open arms:

16987266496_36a674dc29.jpg

I like to think that i will be alert enough, and in present enough state of mind to give the intruder some type of forewarning. Nothing fancy, or well annunciated. Probably along the lines of "Get the F@(k out!!!!!", if they turn to flee, then they escape. If not. i can only hope i come out the victor.

Back