• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question of the Month...(April 2015)

"FACE DOWN ON THE GROUND..................NOW !!!!"

Well that used to be the case, and old habits die hard. I retired six years ago so I don't have to arrest these maggots anymore.

So I think I would just let my 12g pump action Maverick or my 12g pump action Stinger do the talking, you know the noise they make when you chamber a round. Sure as hell gets your attention because everybody knows that sound don't they ?

Chunk chunk........................and see what happens ????????

I'm not going to say anything.

The first thing they will notice is that the SUN suddenly appeared inside the house. That will be followed closely by a very loud 12ga "bang", but it's a toss-up whether they'll hear it or not.

"FACE DOWN ON THE GROUND..................NOW !!!!"

Well that used to be the case, and old habits die hard. I retired six years ago so I don't have to arrest these maggots anymore.

So I think I would just let my 12g pump action Maverick or my 12g pump action Stinger do the talking, you know the noise they make when you chamber a round. Sure as hell gets your attention because everybody knows that sound don't they ?

Chunk chunk........................and see what happens ????????
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, if you've waited until that point to chamber a round, you're as good as dead. They may already be drawn and ready. Its a matter of who squeezes first. Remember, the BG is coming into this fully aware. And relying on the element of surprise. Or they're jacked up on something, with no clue what they're doing. Regardless, you will be taken by surprise on some level. Therefore unfortunately they have the tactical advantage. I would much rather be locked, loaded, and at the ready when I encounter them.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, if you've waited until that point to chamber a round, you're as good as dead. They may already be drawn and ready. Its a matter of who squeezes first. Remember, the BG is coming into this fully aware. And relying on the element of surprise. Or they're jacked up on something, with no clue what they're doing. Regardless, you will be taken by surprise on some level. Therefore unfortunately they have the tactical advantage. I would much rather be locked, loaded, and at the ready when I encounter them.

Yes I agree facing somebody who has a locked and loaded firearm then waiting to chamber a round would be madness.

I need to clarify my situation. Due to the construction of my old Spanish hacienda you can hear the shotgun being chambered all over the house, especially in the early hours of the morning. I rack it in my bedroom and trust me it can be heard. There is no mistaking that noise.

Fortunately for me where I live in Spain burglars very rarely carry firearms. Usually blades of some kind or clubs. The chances of me encountering a burglar with a gun especially a pistol in a state of readiness is virtually zero.

Whole different ball game in the U.S.

Sounds kinda crazy...but in the absence of your fellas' caste doctrine, I've heard your best bet (for defense) is to yell at them to get out and go to the nearest bathroom. If they try to enter the bathroom (which has no valuables) it's open season. You can say the BG must have been out to harm you since he certainly wasn't trying to get your valuables in the bathroom.

@Ryang...Though I have to agree with your logic...up here it doesn't always apply.

The minute you bring a firearm into the equation you can expect to be arrested, charged and likely released provided you have no prior history. Oh yeah, they'll probably confiscate all your firearms as well until you're either found not guilty or charges are dropped.

You know up here there's very little tolerance for self-defence (of self or another) with a firearm. The attacker has to be practically killing you before you can employ lethal force.

I only know of a small number of cases where a firearm was used in self-defence and the victim came out on top without being put through the legal ringer. It is possible that there have been cases that haven't made the news but I'd venture to say it's not many. It needs to be an extremely simple and clear cut case to avoid a massive court proceeding and not be charged as a criminal yourself.

I'd even go so far as to say that if you are a healthy, capable male...you can expect you will be charged and taken to trial.

EDIT: There is only one scenario I can think of off the top of my head, in a home defence situation where you'd likely be completely exonerated. That would be a home invasion by multiple attackers...one of which would likely need to be carrying a firearm. But even at that, they'd likely investigate you for ties to gangs or drugs.

Last edited:
It is likely you will have 1/4 second to decide what to say or shoot.

If you are warned in time G.T.F.O. would probably be best. I keep a dog that barks. Many years ago I had two burglaries while asleep in the house. Not a pleasant feeling.

In Texas any burglar should know better, but surprisingly they dont. Expect open fire if UN invited, we dont ask questions or have to say anything. We protect our own.
And in certain cases we let you know up front...

In Texas any burglar should know better, but surprisingly they dont. Expect open fire if UN invited, we dont ask questions or have to say anything. We protect our own.
And in certain cases we let you know up front...

LOL!! :D

I only wish it were that simple up here.

There was a very controversial case back a few years now where a homeowner was not only charged with using a firearm to defend himself and his home (the perps were actually trying to burn his house down with him in it) but the prosecution actually went as far as bringing charges against him for violating safe storage of guns and ammo laws as well. These charges were laid after the first charges of careless use of a firearm and discharging a firearm were thrown out of court.

He was eventually acquitted but not until the defence was able to prove that he had time to go to his safe, retrieve his revolver, load it and bring it to bear. This guy is/was a respected, government licensed firearm instructor.

Should give any Canadian home/gun owner cause to think long and hard about whether they want to go down that road. Obviously in dire circumstances that likely won't factor but just having the extra hassle of getting into your safe or removing trigger locks and then loading the gun make it a very awkward situation at best. :confused:

Back