• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 in 3 gun

Got the CHOATE 9 shot magazine extension mounted. Works great. Got the TruGlo fiber optic sight mounted. She likes it. Opened up the loading port just a little (maybe more later). Welded lifter is on the way. With just that minor opening of the port, she is now able to loads deuces.

Results from my polishing the metal to metal parts making contact in the receiver. Much smoother bolt operation, and cycles Rem High Velocity 3/4 ounce loads just fine. She will be using 1 ounce loads (that I load), so it should "Run Like A Deere".

100.JPG

200.JPG

300.JPG

Nice job. Opening up the port where you did is exactly what I am looking to do. I don''t load deuces but when I try to load 4 shells fast, they hit the flat spot below the tube and stop.
How much were you able to remove and how deep into the tube did you go?.
I was also looking for a way to re-blacken the finish if possible. Any ideas.

Nice job. Opening up the port where you did is exactly what I am looking to do. I don''t load deuces but when I try to load 4 shells fast, they hit the flat spot below the tube and stop.
How much were you able to remove and how deep into the tube did you go?.
I was also looking for a way to re-blacken the finish if possible. Any ideas.

Did not go very deep, on the first try. Going to let her run it like this a while, and she how she handles the loading. As for the finish, you could use on of those firearm touch-up pens with the flat black paint.

The SA-20 is running great. Even with custom 7/8 or factory 3/4 oz loads. It will cycle as fast as one can squeeze the trigger. Pretty sure we can even reduce handloads of the 7/8's even more. Began with 15.5 of 20/28 with a Claybuster wad, with #8 shot. Has plenty of pressure to cycle it. May try 15.0 grains next. The softer I can make the recoil, the more my wife will enjoy the shotgun bay, at our 3 Gun range.. Very very pleased with the little gun so far...

DISCLAIMER: I do not suggest you use any load data that I may reference in my post. Always follow published data from the powder manufacture.

Last edited:
you guys are doing cool stuff with those SA20's, hell of a cool platform

It's a work in progress! Hopefully she'll get to run it pretty hard at the range this weekend.

My goal is too get the recoil very minimal, but still function 100%. Once it's broken in better, I feel confident that my goal can be obtained. Cause if she ain't happy, no one will be happy! LOL

My wife got to give her new SA-20 Bantam a good run on our 3 Gun Range yesterday. The SA-20 ran flawlessly with our custom 7/8 oz handloads using 15.5grs of 20/28 and 7/8 oz of #8 shot. Loading duals is not and will never be as easy as with my 930 JM Pro, but not that bad. I did open the loading port up some more this morning, and now it's even a little easier. While at the bench, I loaded several loads at 13 grains of 20/28, and it still cycles as fast as one can squeeze the trigger. The recoil is now even less. The one issue that I still need to overcome is the stiffness of the bolt release button. It's tight, even too me. I've taken it a part, and gave all parts a good polishing, but still no where near as easy, as I'd like it too be.

Overall, we're very pleased with the transformation of this entry level shotgun, into a nice reliable, 3 Gun shotgun.

Attached are a few photos of the 2nd round of opening the loading port. This time I slightly open the sides, as well as going a little further forward. I feel with some practice using the 20 ga snap caps, she'll be doing just fine loading duals.

100.JPG 200.JPG

Last edited:
8 month report.

Running perfect! Guessing the round count is well over 1k now. Runs RIO, Federal, Rem, and my light re-loads flawlessly. Wife is very happy with the smoke-pole. She has no trouble taking out the same steel targets, at the same distances, as the folks with the 12ga noise makers.

She's happy......

sa20.jpg

I'm confused here, if a remington 870 extension works why does choate list a different one for the sa-20?

Installed the 9 shot extension from CHOATE. The 9 shot extension is the same tube that works on the Rem 870 20 gauge. The extension tube is just slightly shorter than the barrel. A 10 shot extension would have exceeded the length of the barrel. The SA-20 magazine tube had a lip at the end of the tube that I had to remove. The Dremel Tool took care of that fairly quick.

Last edited:
Hello all. It's been a while. I did another 3 gun, Labor Day weekend in Pa. had a great time in spite of the leftover Harvey rain. This is my 3rd 3 Gun match. Great match, much bigger tan I thought included some Pros, Experts, High Marksmen. Don't think they'll have to worry about me catching them any time soon.
SA - 20 ran fine at about 150 rounds in the rain.
Hint: in the rain, the barrel generates a lot of steam in the rain, have to keep moving to even see the targets.
If you get a chance to do a 3 Gun, just do it. Hopefully before you are old like me.

Last edited:
Hello all. It's been a while. I did another 3 gun, Labor Day weekend in Pa. had a great time in spite of the leftover Harvey rain. This is my 3rd 3 Gun match. Great match, much bigger tan I thought included some Pros, Experts, High Marksmen. Don't think they'll have to worry about me catching them any time soon.
SA - 20 ran fine at about 150 rounds in the rain.
Hint: in the barrel generates a lot of steam in the rain, have to keep moving to even see the targets.
If you get a chance to do a 3 Gun, just do it. Hopefully before you are old like me.
Congrats !!!! You were a winner in my book when you stepped to the line. Love people getting out there and compete in any of the shooting sports.

Great fun. A long day but more than worth it. Even in the rain.
The 20 gauge had no problem with the steel targets even at 30 - 35 yards using low brass 7.5 shot.

Back