• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Am I racking the slide too hard? Mag tube finish is wearing fast

offbeatbop

Copper BB
Please go easy on me as I just purchased my first firearm ever, a Persuader, about 2 months ago. Admitted n00b eager to learn. Is it normal for the magazine tube to appear scratched and the finish worn after such light use? I've only been to the range a few times (less than 10), although I've done practicing at home without firing (assembly/disassembly, loading/unloading and racking the slide) a few days a week for these two months.

There are already horizontal scratches on the mag tube and the finish appears to be wearing. Could I be doing something wrong (racking the slide too hard?) or is it normal for it to appear this way after such a short time?

I don't care if it's the prettiest girl at the ball. If it's intended to look like it's taken a beating then so be it as long as it gets the job done. i just want to make sure I'm not doing something that could be unnecessarily shortening its life.

That sounds like the normal wear but if you want to post up some pictures we can confirm that for you.

Yep, pics would help. Since you're new to guns, you may not be handling the gun properly, which could contribute to excessive wear. Many new pump gun shooters have a tendency to twist/push the forearm slightly to one side or the other instead of keeping their elbow directly beneath the gun and racking it straight back and forward. Don't know if that's a problem with yours or not, just something to be aware of. Welcome aboard. :)

Here are a couple of pics

edit: sorry original links weren't working:

Fa2o7Do.jpg

ZUqhWOb.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, pics would help. Since you're new to guns, you may not be handling the gun properly, which could contribute to excessive wear. Many new pump gun shooters have a tendency to twist/push the forearm slightly to one side or the other instead of keeping their elbow directly beneath the gun and racking it straight back and forward. Don't know if that's a problem with yours or not, just something to be aware of. Welcome aboard. :)
Thanks, happy to be aboard and having a blast learning the ropes. It's possible that I was moving my forearm around while practicing at home and trying to get a feel for the gun. I don't think I was violently jerking my forearm around but I was definitely moving it while racking, kind of honing in on my imaginary target on my wall. This was while practicing picking a shell up off the table with an empty magazine, loading it and aiming. I guess I was racking rather hard while raising it toward the target. Not 'trying to rip the forend off' hard, but definitely stern.

Looks a bit over worn IMO but let some of the guys here that know more than me be the judge....anyway welcome aboard !

Thanks, happy to be aboard and having a blast learning the ropes. It's possible that I was moving my forearm around while practicing at home and trying to get a feel for the gun. I don't think I was violently jerking my forearm around but I was definitely moving it while racking, kind of honing in on my imaginary target on my wall. This was while practicing picking a shell up off the table with an empty magazine, loading it and aiming. I guess I was racking rather hard while raising it toward the target. Not 'trying to rip the forend off' hard, but definitely stern.

As long as we're both on line, there's some good videos/ tutorials on handling here, and on other sites. I assume this is going to be a home defense gun? If so, you should take a look at the following:

Rob Haught video on push/pulll technique to reduce felt recoil - staying on target:

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/rob-haught-push-pull-video.11349/

Fighting with a shotgun - Box 'O Truth:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-83-fighting-with-a-shotgun/

I agree with the others that it looks like "normal" wear.

As you have the slide tube off, you could check for burrs inside that may be scratching a little more than necessary. These will normally "break-in" and smooth themselves over time along with the many other "sharp" metal parts of the gun. Personally, I like to go through and deburr any sharpys on ANY gun with the exception of any hardened and/or precision parts such as the sear, etc.

It is good to practice loading and cycling a new firearm but it should be done with "dummy" rounds just in case you have a brainfart and accidentally squeeze the trigger... :eek: You can buy them new or make them out of fired hulls trimmed or refolded to size and filled with cheap caulking or similar.

I think BlueSmoke nailed it with that video of Jerry's 500. You wanna talk about a smooth action, check out that thing. Lol

Back