• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Give Havlin (636) 937-6401 a call. They have the tubes,springs and followers at a great price.;)

Just got it back together and works like it's supposed to, after turkey season I will replace the spring and plug dowel. The dowel is smaller than a #2 lead pencil think I'm gonna replace it with a little thicker one.

Having a problem with my M500. The action locks up when fired. I have owned this gun for 20 years or so. It was a backup to my other duty gun. The locking bar drops like it should but the bolt is locked up tight. I can bump it open with a bit of force. The slide is locked up tight, wont move in either direction. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob.

Having a problem with my M500. The action locks up when fired. I have owned this gun for 20 years or so. It was a backup to my other duty gun. The locking bar drops like it should but the bolt is locked up tight. I can bump it open with a bit of force. The slide is locked up tight, wont move in either direction. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bob.

Have you tried different ammo? I had one type of ammo, can't remember which one, that would swell and stick in the chaimber. I know it was the ammo because the extractor let go of the brass when the rim of the case cracked. The action worked fine, but I had to push the shell out with a rod. It sucked because I was on the river in the middle of a goose hunt. My buddy had some spare ammo that he let me use, no more issues.

So I got my new Mossberg 500 Flex a few weeks ago and I've been running into a problem with the magazine tube. Probably about half the time I rack it, the next shell doesn't come out of the magazine tube.

I find that I have more success if I rack it hard, but even then the magazine seems unreliable. Does anybody else have this problem? If so, what can I do to fix it?

Sounds like the shell stop lever is sticking. It is a thin piece of spring steel in the receiver. I would contact mossberg and see if they would send a new one.

I only got it a few weeks ago. Probably only put like 150 shells through it so far but only filled up the magazine tube a handful of times. I've taken it apart and cleaned up the parts, but haven't greased anything up. Maybe I need to grease up the cartridge stopper or something...

They don't need much oil, but at least a little.

If it were a break in issue, 150 shells should have worked it out.

I would oil, then cycle the action over and over again periodically until you're able to shoot again. See if that does anything. Also, some dummy shells can help as you can cycle those in the house, or what have you depending on your situation. Or go outside with the safety on and run a full magazine of shells through it by cycling the action. Again, depending on your situation and what your comfortable with.

Do you have anything clamped on the barrel and magazine, that can slightly warp the magazine tube. Might just put a small amount of stretch in the magazine spring. Take it apart and look down the magazine and see it it is free of any rust or deposits. Won't hurt a thing to clean it like you would clean your barrel. Don't be afraid to take it apart. You need to be able to put it together and help you better understand how it works and how to do field serviceable repairs. If you can't seem to get it back together there are a lot of fine folks here to instruct you and some good YouTube videos on the subject. A little bit of oil goes a long way but you do need to clean and oil.

Hello, I have a question about leaving the bolt assembly in the locked position with bolt closed if it will weaken the extractor spring because in this position the extractors stay in a fully open position in the barrel groves for the extractors sit and wait for the signal to extract the shot shell. I just replaced my bolt assembly and side and don't want to damage the new extractor springs. Thank for anyones help that has great knowledge about this.

Back