• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Calls...Which do you use and how do you like it?

I have 2 locator calls. Owl and crow. They do not get a rise out of em. Pretty much useless. There's so many crows around here it doesn't phase em....
Although my coworkers love using the crow call here at work. It gets peoples attention inside the buildings. ;)
I too have never got a response from my crow calls and have only had two responses from my owl call?? The biggest piece of junk I have is what I think was called screaming hen?? I have never gotten a response from that thing, and was wondering if anyone has??

I'd like to see em!

Hunting with an old friend or with my daughters, I don't mind having my hands tied up with calls if someone gets something. Man I can find tracks, I've seen them in the fields. I've seen them in my yard and we've had them respond to our calls, but never had em close enough for a shot. I'm excited for this season to pan out though!

Have you tried going in the day before and seeing where they roost? Or which direction they wake up and go? It's just a waiting game.

@hock
I had to look it up, found a video on YouTube.

I guess it's supposed to simulate the sound a hen makes when being bred by a tom?

I dunno, I guess it could work occasionally.

@ripjack13
Yep, we've seen them roost in the trees at the end of the field behind our house. I've had a blind set up since last fall and will sometimes go out before the sun is up and watch and listen and try different calls.

I know the several properties they cover and travel. It's hundreds of acres of woods. I don't have access to all of it, just the edges in most places. If we get the house we have an offer on, ill be able to cover much more of that space.

I usually go in an hour before sunrise. Get set up and sip some coffee. When I'm all settled I do one long call and wait. They will answer me every time...but they wont always come my way....weird birds...
That's what makes it fun...

@hock ..do you have a pic of it?

I have a case full of mouth calls. I buy all different kinds, I really do not have a specific preference.

Several pot calls and box calls.

I also carry a barred owl call as a locator.

I have a similar call to the HS Strut Field Champion already posted but it is a much earlier model. It was the first call I ever bought.

The last one I bought was this one:
MorningWoodBoxCall_zps6904cac9.jpg

I don't have any custom calls. I'll try to get a pic of what I have this week as I get my stuff ready for the opener.

I was thinking of getting a box call. But that would be more crap I gotta carry. I need to downsize my set up.

Those are some really good looking pot calls, and is one of those strikers stone?
Thank you...all the strikers are wood I had cut up and sent out to get turned.
Left to right in the pic are as follows...Bocote, Ash, African Blackwood, Bird's eye Maple...

Holy smokes man, I need a RipJack custom call!
When will we see some "RIP's Call's"? ;)
I'm workin on it fellas.....
I need some parts first. So I'm saving up to buy in bulk...

I just received my first custom call.

I attended a meet and greet last week with some people from another hunting forum that I participate in. The meet was only a couple hours from my house so I decided to make the trip. Only three of us showed up and one of the members in attendance had two handmade turkey calls for us:

20150426_135629_resized_zpsuut5vrn7.jpg

20150426_135611_resized_zpsj2vgg3hy.jpg

20150426_135559_resized_zpsxi5nhcd0.jpg

He signed and dated it on the bottom. He even threw in a couple extra rubber bands. :-D

Some of the wood came from trees in his yard. I was amazed at the gesture and just had to share.

I carried this into the field over the weekend and while I have not tagged a tom yet, I did use this call and got a one to gobble back at me. ;D

Very cool gesture....it's not often you find someone who just gives stuff away that they had made.....

This past weekend, we had a boss hen come in not at all pleased and kept trying to talk over us as much as I was cutting her off.

What I learned in this is that my calling sounded almost exactly like her but that her tone or pitch was just a bit lower.

I achieved this with the slate over glass call I pictured above. It's the Red Head reality series though I'm using a knight and hale striker with it which actually has a plastic tip. I began using that striker at my neighbors recommendation after he tried it out and said that combination most closely resembles the hens around here.​

Back