• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What kind of ears are you running ?

I have both the Peltor Tactical (electronic) and the regular (blue) ones. The regular Peltors protect a bit more (they are bulkier too), but I bought the first ones for shooting classes. Both are alright, but the noise-sensitive should probably wear either in addition to plugs.
You can kinda see the electronic ones in that cluttered pic. I always forget to turn them off... :rolleyes:Peltor.jpg

I used to run Peltor comtacs II, but for windy days, going through bushes and such it was a nightmare. I switched to plugs, but cant stand them in ears, so right now Im using some surplus basic military peltors - they are nice low profile, and as a backup for family and friends I have optime III from peltor, wich are really good. Well I would not expect anything less from muffs that I took off flight deck helmet.

Never leave home without my Surefire Earpro EP4s. I'm a sound tech and musician, my ears are my life, and I've been using these for years.

Never leave home without my Surefire Earpro EP4s. I'm a sound tech and musician, my ears are my life, and I've been using these for years.

Keep a set in my truck for times I get caught short on ppe , they work a lot better than people think

Set of GI Earplugs I got from the Service and a cheap set of earmuffs. Sort of like what we had on the flight line/ flight deck, but not nearly as good LOL!
Mark

I have been using the Howard Leight Impact Sports electronic muffs. Sometimes I supplement them with Radians ear plugs when shooting the AR 15. Even as slim as they are, they tend to push off the ear with the cheek weld. With pistols outdoors, they work great. The HL Impact Pro has a higher NRR of 30, but are much bulkier. Could not use them with a rifle or shotgun. At indoor ranges, it is best to double up with muffs and plugs.

Howard Leights, the regular ones and slim fold up ones. Non-electric for me thanks.

It's the brand they sell at our rangehouse. $15 & $20 for the slims.

The slims work with most of my rifles, but I can't get a solid cheek on the Savage .22, so I keep a plug on the right ear and tip the right cup back on my head when shooting.

I have 3 different styles of ear plugs: foam, rubber baffle, and silicone moldable. I like the baffles best.

Champion Passive Muff. Black one for me and a pink set for my wife. Cheap and available at my local WalMart for $9.97. Worked just fine at the local indoor range.

A few years ago I found that wearing hearing aids would help me immensely with the hearing loos I had suffered as a small kid. When I went to the hearing aid place, I had a chat with the woman that was getting ready to make the molds for my hearing aids and I was telling her how I use the muffs when shooting skeet and target practice. She offered to make a special set for me just for shooting and was not going to charge me anything extra. She even made them green to match the camo I wore when hunting. They turned out great and really blocked out the blast of any gun I would shoot. I guess there is always a silver lining even in the bad things that happen to us every so often. ;)

I wear a pair of Champions from Wal-Mart, about $15 with foam plugs underneath. Seems to work well.

I just run the GI style plugs. I've tried muffs over the years and never could get used to them, and on certain weapons my cheek weld causes them to shift out of place on my right ear.

I just run the GI style plugs. I've tried muffs over the years and never could get used to them, and on certain weapons my cheek weld causes them to shift out of place on my right ear.

images

Yes. Anytime I shoot long guns I plug and muff. I hate the surprise of unmuffled discharge when leaning on my hand.

And on the motorcycle, wind noise is more damaging than exhaust. I plug up for that also.

I wear earplugs on the bike also, I have enough hearing damage from other professions when I was younger, don't need anymore. I'd love to be able to wear muffs, just can't get 'em to work for me though. Never shot anything big enough to need double ear protection, probably couldn't afford to these days anyway. :D

... I have enough hearing damage from other professions when I was younger, don't need anymore.
That is my biggest problem. Mostly legacy of the Army. Unlike the movies, sometimes we didn't have time to "suit up for battle." Turbine engines, 155mm and 105mm arty, night sabotage of our shell bunkers, impromptu mortar launches... it all adds up.

The worst was when I was inside of a perimeter bunker on guard duty [2hrs on, 2 off] and my awake buddy goes all Ma Deuce on the concertina w/o warning. Now my life is never silent.
images
images

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport on the club range, when i could be shooting between a hot-loaded Mosin and a LE .303.

When shooting competitively, the line will be a mix of rimfire and light target .38's or .44's, so i wear the Napier Pro 9, (like plugs on a headband), which gives me a better cheek-weld.

Back