• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Accumag Chokes

I have a couple of boxes of the Winchester double x. I haven't used it yet. ..seems like yours likes the factory choke....

@ripjack13
How does the pattern look to you? Would you expect to see more density at 25 yards? I'm much more comfortable with this than before but I'd still be hesitant to try for say 40 yards.

I still want to try the Long Beard ammo. Both Carlson and Trulock talk about (and record) patterns containing 200 pellets or better and paired with the right choke, at greater range than 25 yards.

Bass pro carries the Kicks and Carlson chokes but not Trulock. Maybe in a couple weeks or so or after we get moved, one of those will be in order.

Not bad. I don't do much patterning with mine anymore. I can take mine out this week and see what I get for a pattern.

I've found some slightly conflicting information about how many pellets in 1-3/4 oz of #5 shot. It looks like 304.

If that's correct, then the pattern above of the Winchester load is between 55 and 60% of the shot in 10".

What's the rule of thumb on patterning in the 30" circle? Is the goal 70% in the circle at the desired range?

I hope to experiment with chokes and be able to replicate this at 40 yards.

When I pattern I never really count pellets directly, I just look for consistent pellet density across the target area. Mainly looking for any holes a the pattern where a turkey head might be missed.

@MikeD I had done the same thing with the Hornady load I started with and while the pellet count was above 100, distribution was uneven and there were turkey-head sized holes in the pattern.

Additionally, my patterns were at a mere 25 yards and I was far from comfortable taking a shot any farther out. While this newer pattern is better, I think it can be improved by selecting the right choke.

That is the curse, it's never really good enough. LOL

You are on the right path and I am confident you will find the sweet spot here shortly.

I believe I'll be trying the Kicks and Carlson tubes first. The kicks is perpetually out of stock it seems but with the season ending they expect to be able to have them in stock soon. Hope to find them at Bass Pro, they're a good $12 less expensive.

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard of a tube called the "widowmaker"?

Yeah, same here but my doctor hunts and swears by it. I think it's an older choke no longer made. Kinda like the star dot chokes.

Alright, just picked up the Carlson's Coyote choke. I'm not sure the exit diameter, I may have posted it elsewhere here.

I'm fixin to try four buckshot loads;

image.jpg

From top to bottom they are;
Hornady TAP, 2-3/4" 1600 fps, 8 pellet 00
(identical to Critical Defense in the black hull)
Sellier & Bellot, 2-3/4" fps ?, 12 pellet 00
Nobelsport, 3" 1325 fps, 27 pellet #4
Winchester DoubleX, 3" 1450 fps, 12 pellet 00

Pictures will follow.

A couple quick observations;

The Carlson's tube does not have as long a parallel section as other tubes I've seen, not as long as the factory tube, the Kicks I've mentioned, Colonial Arms, and possibly others.

It is angle ported at 90 degree intervals (away from the shooter).

It's also very well knurled with a well grooved diamond shape around the ports.

I remain frustrated. My earliest experiences with buckshot are centered primarily around patterning Federal FliteControl. Nothing else compares to its performance through a 20" cylinder bore barrel.

The clear winner in this round is the 3" Nobelsport. The pattern of 27 pellets (all accounted for) is fairly evenly distributed in a 28" diameter with the densest portion distributed left of center in a 17" diameter.

These have all been fired at 25 yards. I'm losing light so no pics tonight.

I'm still hopeful I'll strike the right balance to turn this gun into a do all beast.

Yup, I think you've been ruined by FliteControl.

Had you never shot any before, these results might look acceptable...

Yup, I think you've been ruined by FliteControl.

Had you never shot any before, these results might look acceptable...

Yup.

It looks like the smaller shot is going to be the next step. While the choke tubes say all buckshot, I think 00 is simply too big. It makes the patterns do strange things like flatten out vertically or horizontally. The #4 is the only pattern that remained circular. It would also still be lethal for coyote.

Carlson's I know for sure takes nominal barrel diameter into consideration in choke tube exit diameters. Most may as well, but from research, some don't.

Their coyote choke, as well as the "Dead Coyote" choke (which is another choke entirely) are both designed to be used with all lead shot, bismuth, and tungsten alloys, the heavier than lead stuff like hevishot. But that's pricey. Carlson's boasts excellent patterns and 70 yard lethality, so I may go back to them to see what they strongly recommend, and check out videos again.

I'm kinda thinking and typing at the same time, mostly to chronicle my thought process in the event someone else finds themselves in the same position wondering why they aren't getting the phenomenal patterns promised by manufacturers and now how do they fix it.

Heck, I just got back in from coyote hunting (didn't see anything) and I didn't take the 835. I'm not comfortable taking a shot beyond 25 yards at this point with it but I'm good to 40 for sure with the 500 and my favorite FliteControl stuff.

For what it's worth, the Winchester DoubleX 00 is $10 for 5. At this point, don't waste your money mixing it with the Carlson's coyote tube. They're like oil and water when all you want is peas and carrots.

I think the more fps per load is killing itself. The less fps and you have better patterns ?

I'm not gunna need my choke till next year (Spring turkey) You wanna try it?
I know they still sell it somewhere, but if it doesnt work for you, It would suck to buy it and not be able to use it. If you like it and it works I'll find another one and you can re embuse me for that one...??

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/229047/truglo-strut-stopper-xtreme-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truglo-TG15...-Tube-Mossberg-835-935-12-Gauge-/261953457441

@ripjack13
Thanks man, I'd be happy to try it out! I've seen them at Bass Pro so if it works out, I can pick one up there easy.

For the heck of it, I ran a round of the Winchester DoubleX #5 3" turkey through the Carlson's. Not bad at all, 161 pellets in the 10" circle and pretty much POA=POI. That's only 5 pellets less than with the factory choke.

Of the buckshot loads I tried yesterday, all but the Sellier and Bellot were essentially POA/POI with only mild deviation. Even the weird vertical pattern was centered over the target.

I would be alright with this choke beyond 25 yards for both coyote and turkey. It will take more shooting to see the limits. From videos available on YouTube, it seems about 50 yards would be the maximum effective range.

Back