• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Who, exactly, is being "trained"?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Is it the military/police? Or is it the general population and these kids in school?

WORLAND, Wyo. – Police and school officials in Worland, Wyoming are taking heat from parents after a spontaneous “training exercise” left their elementary aged children traumatized.

The idea was to have a school intruder show up on the playground to see if teachers would respond appropriately to usher students away from danger, but that wasn’t exactly how it played out, the Casper Star-Tribune reports.

A creepy looking man with a backpack and hooded sweatshirt pulled over head leered at children on the playground at East Side Elementary around 10 a.m. Thursday, and teacher Kevin Heyer approached the man, who then allegedly ran off, according to the news site.

Heyer was apparently aware that a random training drill was expected last week and told students “Run! Run!” to the opposite end of an open field from which the “intruder” appeared. But students like Aubrey Truman thought Heyer said “He’s got a gun! He’s got a gun!” and frantically scrambled to the end of the field, where another teacher gathered students by grade, the Star-Tribune reports.

Truman told the news site she thought she was going to die, and couldn’t stop shaking, despite local law enforcement who arrived on scene to tell students the scary ordeal was a training exercise. Regardless, Truman and other students complained about the harrowing experience to their parents, who relayed their frustrations to school officials. Roughly 200 students were involved in the surprise drill.

Truman was so shaken that her mother, Amy Truman, decided to keep the 9-year-old and her brother home from school the next day, according to the news site.

“They took it to an extreme not to discuss this with parents and the community beforehand,” parent Amy Munoz told the Star-Tribune. “It’s a slap in the face.”

“They just think they can do whatever they want with our kids,” she said.

http://eagnews.org/hes-got-a-gun-surprise-school-intruder-drill-traumatizes-elementary-students/

I hate to say it but if this had been a "real" event, the teacher would have been hailed as a hero. And the children would still be "traumatized"... Kids need to be trained to "keep their cool" under adverse conditions, not an easy task.

Discussion of "what could happen" and "what to do" with your children is something every parent should do. I think team sports builds a level of mental preparation into kids. Being familiar with firearms and safety could eliminate the "surprise" and panic of an exposed firearm. And paintball games are good training for evasive maneuvering...

I hate to say it but if this had been a "real" event, the teacher would have been hailed as a hero. And the children would still be "traumatized"... Kids need to be trained to "keep their cool" under adverse conditions, not an easy task.

Discussion of "what could happen" and "what to do" with your children is something every parent should do. I think team sports builds a level of mental preparation into kids. Being familiar with firearms and safety could eliminate the "surprise" and panic of an exposed firearm. And paintball games are good training for evasive maneuvering...

I thought it was very considerate of the faculty to move all the potential targets to one spot. I'm sure a real shooter would have appreciated not having to chase everyone around. :rolleyes:o_O

And this in Worland, Wyoming where one would expect the young to be familiar with guns. I suppose the school admin provided counseling for those youngsters that had been traumatized by the thought of someone having a gun in Worland.

The liberals have been taking over the schools for a long, long time, and the results are not good.

Our county provides some Sheriff Deputies to our local school(s). I think they are called "school resource officers" or something like that.

I have no problem paying an extra $20 a year on my house taxes for that to pay their salaries, and instead of banning guns at schools or outlawing criminal behavior like the democrat utopian wet dreams that never work, we put in place armed deputies that are always on location.

This is during school, graduations, football games, etc.

If there is a school function, there is armed "security".

While I am not naïve and I know that regardless of that, something bad could happen and personally I feel better having the ability to protect myself and arming myself would be my preferred option, but as long as the laws are what they are, at least this is the best alternative that could have been done.

And strangely enough, I have not heard not one single complaint that our schools have armed police, or armed anyone trying to keep our kids and young adults and community safe.

Some of our schools will now have armed (CCW) staff members on campus every day. This was just recently voted in.

At the same time they're trying to close all the gun shops in California with punitive regulations and silly insurance laws.

A new bill was just entered today. $1m liability insurance for each gun sold. No more FFLs operating in residential areas.

New security and reporting requirements.

If this passes all but the largest stores would probably close up, the price of guns would soar (but eventually the increased price could bring more dealers back into the game.)

Don't count on it.

Anytime that Government gets involved with laws and regulations, everything they touch turns rancid.

A lot of dealers outside of california refuse to ship to california already.

And those are people that only ship a product to that state.

In california, everything causes cancer.

I think it starts with californias politicians.

One of the liberals tactics is always raise taxes on things they don't like or deem bad for ones health. There are a couple of senators trying to get funding for the CDC to study firearms, then they can declare them a health hazard. Another proposal that Hillary has floated for years is a $1000.00 tax on every firearm sold and raising the taxes in ammo from anywhere to 5 cents to 25 cents per round. The first thing needed is to enforce existing laws.

Back