• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 locking lug advice?

Perhaps I could get a hand with what I perceive to be a problem with a fairly new 930. I notice that when the bolt is locked behind an empty or charged chamber, the slightest rearward pressure (even simply resting on the recoil pad) causes the charging handle to disengage the locking lug thus bringing the bolt out of battery. Not good for what is supposed to be my patrol shotgun. I'd ask the SO armorer...except I am the armorer.
7th Mossberg...1st self-loader from them. Factory tech help...no help. Thanks all.

Howdy @A. Jethro Canton, welcome aboard.

Sorry to see you're having the issue, but we'll do what we can to help you sort it out. I'm no armorer, but I do spend a bit of time with my 930's and my first thought is that there may be something out of order in your return assembly. Have you removed the stock and taken the return assembly apart for inspection at this point? The bolt rides on a slide that locks it into place and the slide is what is supposed to keep the bolt/battery locked up under the force of the return spring. See figure no. 11 on page 12 of the owner's manual for reference. If the link pin is broken/missing, or the return spring is buggered up, there would certainly be a reduction in pressure behind the bolt slide that could cause your problem.

Sorry if you've already covered that, but I just want to be thorough...

Howdy @A. Jethro Canton, welcome aboard.

Sorry to see you're having the issue, but we'll do what we can to help you sort it out. I'm no armorer, but I do spend a bit of time with my 930's and my first thought is that there may be something out of order in your return assembly. Have you removed the stock and taken the return assembly apart for inspection at this point? The bolt rides on a slide that locks it into place and the slide is what is supposed to keep the bolt/battery locked up under the force of the return spring. See figure no. 11 on page 12 of the owner's manual for reference. If the link pin is broken/missing, or the return spring is buggered up, there would certainly be a reduction in pressure behind the bolt slide that could cause your problem.

Sorry if you've already covered that, but I just want to be thorough...

10-Q Sniper. In all honesty I was hesitant in removing the buttstock after several hrs of wrass'lin the replacement pistol grip stk on, fabricating a new spacer and the ever-present headache of finding a thread to catch when reinstalling the spring tube. I believe you may well be onto a cure. I'll block-out some daylight tomorrow and see if I can sort things out based on you suggestion. I did notice that there is approx 1.5" of play before the return spring engages. I should have paid closer attn to THAT clue. I will advise. Thanks again...standby.

Cheers',
A. Jethro
FCSO #528

Have fought through those same headaches and understand completely. Hope it's something relatively simple, but we're always here to help if needed...

10-Q Sniper. In all honesty I was hesitant in removing the buttstock after several hrs of wrass'lin the replacement pistol grip stk on, fabricating a new spacer and the ever-present headache of finding a thread to catch when reinstalling the spring tube. I believe you may well be onto a cure. I'll block-out some daylight tomorrow and see if I can sort things out based on you suggestion. I did notice that there is approx 1.5" of play before the return spring engages. I should have paid closer attn to THAT clue. I will advise. Thanks again...standby.

Cheers',
A. Jethro
FCSO #528

Cheers',
A. Jethro
FCSO #528
Damn Son...30 yrs of sweating & barking over a bench and I put the frick
in plunger in ASS BACKWARDS. I owe you a warm knob Creek & Cubano Cohiba ! Thx again... and again..

A. Jethro

The things we do every day slip past us the easiest sometimes.

Glad you got it sorted out and I certainly wouldn't turn down some of Kentucky's and Cuba's finest...

Don't feel too bad. Not long ago, Jerry Miculek installed the safety backwards in his 930. The end result? He got DQ'ed for the entire match.

It happens.

Back