• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube for Mossberg 930/935

Stock front FO and Hiviz FO rear
65afc7ca31b8fdcc057526dcbacb6873.jpg

Can't wait to run it at this weekends match....
So what's your verdict on the Marine spacer? I've looked around and it seems like most everybody likes theirs, but what are the main goals of replacing it, and what was your experience with it?
Thanks!!

The guys over at Or3gun make quality products, way better then what's already on my spx (imho). I try to buy all the parts designed to make my shotgun more reliable.

We just introduced a limited run package of parts for field guns in 'Damp Earth' (which is very similar to Dark Earth).

DE-FR-Combo.jpg

The parts in the Field Combo are all anodized 6061 T6 alloy w/ Teflon sealed and include:

1 - Multi-Use dimensioned Marine Spacer Tube in Damp Earth w/ Teflon seal
1 - Competition Spring Plunger in Damp Earth w/ Teflon seal (10% effective spring weight reduction)
1 - Field Fit Competition Forearm Retainer in Damp Earth w/ Teflon seal

While the other parts are familiar to most, the Field Fit CFR is NOT tapered or ramped for quad loading and is only available in this Combo. It was designed to cinch the forearm up to the receiver and be a drop-in fit regardless of receiver model or factory forearm model. It is made from our RAW model of CFR, fitted to a standard polymer forearm. This was done assuming that many field jobs with camouflage patterns will never see the belt sander treatment given to many 3-gun 930s.

The inclusion of the CSP plunger may seem odd for a field gun, but was done to address the fact that many have expressed a desire to run inexpensive light loads in their Turkey/Waterfowl guns during the off-season and only run a few of the whoppers once or twice a year. This part has made it possible to run bulk pack 1200 FPS loads in our own 22" barreled 935 without flaw so far and can take the annual box of magnum shells without the need to change other parts.

Field-Fit-935-Turkey-Large.jpg

The Field Fit Combo is a limited run for us due to the time-intensive process of fitting the CFRs and having to use a different anodizer than we do for other parts to get the color w/ Teflon. While deviations from our standard 3-Gun lines may be offered in the future, it took months for our part production cycles to line up to have all three of the above raw parts in quantity for this run. In other words, if this is the Combo you've been waiting for, don't wait too long. We also anodized an equal number of each part, so the individual parts aren't available separately in the limited run of Damp Earth.

William
OR3GUN

I have the competition spacer arriving today. A little father's day gift to myself.

I have a private skeet lesson scheduled for next Wednesday and will use the spacer with ammo which normally jams up in my 930. We shall see how it goes... Estate white box come get some!!

Rescheduled my lesson for today.

Ran 2 boxes of number 8 shot estate dove white box.

First box on a clean gun was flawless.

Second box had 3 failure to eject.

Sadness.

Didn't jam once during doubles though.

Frog lube on shotgun

Overall about 2k

1200 fps estate

For the record the gun isn't fond of that brand. It shoots federal 1100 fps #8 shot like a champ before the spacer tube.

Assuming you are running your gas system dry and the Frog Lube is on your bolt/slide/etc?

Also, if your chamber is fairly rough, some of the textured, weak-walled shells (Estate, Winchester Super) like to cling for dear life when extracted. It sounds like yours is right on the edge of wanting to run them right. A slick chamber may be the remaining hurdle.

The Estate wasn't consistently happy in any of our 930s until we went after the recoil spring assembly. Perhaps an interesting experiment would be to dismantle (for weight testing) and chrono some of these notoriously problematic loads to see how optimistic some of the FPS might be, especially out of short-barreled guns. Time to dig out the XX-Full choke.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Also, if your chamber is fairly rough, some of the textured, weak-walled shells (Estate, Winchester Super) like to cling for dear life when extracted. It sounds like yours is right on the edge of wanting to run them right. A slick chamber may be the remaining hurdle.

William,
so any advice/instructions as to the problem areas of the chamber I should focus my efforts on first? Just sand and lube, or do I need to try and do something else after sanding?

Assuming you are running your gas system dry and the Frog Lube is on your bolt/slide/etc?

The Estate wasn't consistently happy in any of our 930s until we went after the recoil spring assembly. Perhaps an interesting experiment would be to dismantle (for weight testing) and chrono some of these notoriously problematic loads to see how optimistic some of the FPS might be, especially out of short-barreled guns. Time to dig out the XX-Full choke.

William

Correct. Run Dry and Frog lube is all over the bolt, slide, gas piston/piston area. Seems the FTE began on the second box so fouling may also be a factor. Also, it wasn't consistently failing. Just 3 times out of 25. But that's better than what it was which was every other round before with that brand.

I'm not going to go crazy with it but I will check for any rough areas in the chamber as requested. This wont be my go to skeet gun as next year I'll be in the market for a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting 30" O/U. I'm getting old and need an old man's gun lol

I'd be interested in your experiment if you do it.

Water Monkey

Last edited:
William,
so any advice/instructions as to the problem areas of the chamber I should focus my efforts on first? Just sand and lube, or do I need to try and do something else after sanding?

The polishing method commonly used on gritty shotgun chambers:

Using no courser than 800 grit automotive sandpaper, wrap a section into a tube small enough to fit inside the chamber and lightly lube the chamber with light gun oil (Rem-Oil, etc.)

Attach a 12 Gauge bronze bore brush (on one section of rod) to a corded or cordless drill.

Insert the brush into the chamber, let it grab the paper and spin it for about 5-8 seconds, moving it slowly in and out a bit. Wipe the chamber clean. Run a bore snake through the barrel.

Repeat the above with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit automotive papers and light oil in the chamber. Wipe the chamber clean and run a bore snake after each grit.

Cover the bronze brush with a piece of cotton cleaning patch. Wipe a very thin coating of Flitz or Mother's Mag Wheel Polish into the chamber. Spin the patch for 8-10 seconds. Wipe chamber.

With a dry cotton patch on the brush, run it another 8-10 seconds. Once complete, spray the chamber out with gun solvent (Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, etc) and follow with a bore snake.

Lube the chamber and bore with a bit of CLP and then run the bore snake through again.

As with anything that you can't easily add material back to, go slow, take your time and don't overdo any of the steps. All we're looking to do is knock down the machining marks that are grabbing onto those textured shells on the way out. We aren't trying to turn it into a 10 Gauge.

;)

William

Correct. Run Dry and Frog lube is all over the bolt, slide, gas piston/piston area. Seems the FTE began on the second box so fouling may also be a factor. Also, it wasn't consistently failing. Just 3 times out of 25. But that's better than what it was which was every other round before with that brand.

I'm not going to go crazy with it but I will check for any rough areas in the chamber as requested. This wont be my go to skeet gun as next year I'll be in the market for a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting 30" O/U. I'm getting old and need an old man's gun lol

I'd be interested in your experiment if you do it.

Water Monkey

Ah, the other model 686. I have a S&W 686 (revolver), also an old man's gun.

The polishing method commonly used on gritty shotgun chambers:

no courser than 800 grit automotive sandpaper, wrap a section into a tube small enough to fit inside the chamber and lightly lube the chamber with light gun oil
Attach a 12 Gauge bronze bore brush (on one section of rod) to a corded or cordless drill.
Insert the brush into the chamber, let it grab the paper and spin it for about 5-8 seconds, moving it slowly in and out a bit.
Repeat the above with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit automotive papers and light oil in the chamber. Wipe the chamber clean and run a bore snake after each grit.
Cover the bronze brush with a piece of cotton cleaning patch. Wipe a very thin coating of Flitz or Mother's Mag Wheel Polish into the chamber. Spin the patch for 8-10 seconds. Wipe chamber.

William

One hint....it's a tight fit to get the brush in there AFTER the pieces of sandpaper are inserted, so I had my wife hold the sandpaper in a funnel shape as I inserted the brush WITH the paper. Worked great!! After completing the whole process, I'm pretty sure I've created the world's most frictionless surface. Amazing how easily the shells slide out now, so that's ONE issue forever resolved!

Great to hear that it worked out for you!

Just one of the little tweaks that can make a huge difference with any shotgun. I have a 500 pump that didn't like to let go of Winchester Super Speed before the same process was done.

William

We wanted to give everyone following this thread a bit of an update on the Marine Spacer Tube and where we're headed next.

A couple of months ago we combined all of our current Competition Series parts into a single package and have had trouble keeping them in stock since. We have ramped up production in anticipation of the off-season upgrades and also begun anodizing closer to home in order to keep a steady supply of our new Pro Competition Combos available:

Combo-Pro-Competition-Spread.jpg

These combos are finding their way into major matches across the country as well as the 3GN series. We couldn't be more pleased to see a 930 come through a stage with a flawless run and our parts peeking out from inside. This forum is to thank for much of the momentum that has made this combo possible.

We also have great news on the International front. We are within a few short months of offering some of our parts to Canada, the UK and select other countries. Shipping costs will be understandably high, but we will be creating special International combos that will absorb some of the hit. There will be a special section of the OR3GUN site for International sales and the specific items that we can sell outside of the US. So far, the MST, CFR, CSP & EBR are looking promising for export.

We'll announce in our Sponsor Forum at Mossberg Owners once these details are worked out.

Thanks!

William

OK...

Wan't to order a "Pro-Set" but can't see the shipping-costs for overseas/Germany!?
PayPal added only 9,50 USD and that' nice but not real... I think ;-)

Back