• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elevator will not open on new 930SPX

Hello Everyone! Just purchased a new Mossberg 930SPX and tried loading it per the installation manual (chamber the first round) pushing the bolt release. Once the bolt moves forward with the loaded round, the elevator will not open for subsequent rounds. Now, if l hold in the bolt release button, the elevator can be opened and rounds can be loaded. Is this a factory defect or is this by design? I want to like this gun but I'm having trouble doing so. Mossberg CS is amoung the worst I've dealt with. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Pete !!

( Thread moved to the correct subforum...)

As far as your problem...I will let the 930SPX experts address that issue...

Already moved to the correct sub forum...no action required !!

Hello Everyone! Just purchased a new Mossberg 930SPX and tried loading it per the installation manual (chamber the first round) pushing the bolt release. Once the bolt moves forward with the loaded round, the elevator will not open for subsequent rounds. Now, if l hold in the bolt release button, the elevator can be opened and rounds can be loaded. Is this a factory defect or is this by design? I want to like this gun but I'm having trouble doing so. Mossberg CS is amoung the worst I've dealt with. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

Pete-

Loading as you describe certainly doesn't sound right, but rather than troubleshoot the entire process, knowing a couple of individual items will help troubleshooting.

With the gun completely empty and the bolt forward, are you able to push the lifter up to the bottom of the bolt?

With the gun completely empty and the bolt forward, does your lifter appear centered within the loading port or is it tilted toward the bolt release?

-William

William,
Thank you in advance for your help! Yes, with the bolt completely forward and gun empty, the lifter/elevator appears to be perfectly aligned. The lifter/elevator is being hindered by the back part of the lever attached to the bolt release button. Thanks-

Pete

There are a few abnormalities that will keep the lifter locked.

1) If the bolt/carrier combination is slightly out of battery. This will kick the rear of the bolt stop out and lock the lifter. Have you taken the forearm off to see that your piston is getting fully forward? If it isn't the bolt won't lock into place, the carrier (or slide) won't be fully forward and the lifter will stay locked.

2) If your lifter is bent, trigger group is out-of-spec (or damaged) or you have installed a side-saddle (too tightly) that replaces the trigger pins, the lifter can have issues. Any of these can result in the lifter being out of alignment with the receiver. In most guns, the functional lifter is actually canted a bit away from the shell stop side of the receiver, so that could be an area of concern for your gun.

3) If there is something lodged behind your bolt release/shell stop mechanism. There is a lot of grease in this area from the factory. It will sometimes attract small pieces of material from the manufacturing or shipping process and prevent the full range of motion of the shell stop. You can go further with #4 below to further analyze the problem.

4) If the bolt release/shell stop mechanism is malfunctioning. This is usually because one of the pins is broken or is missing. If you look at your diagram in the back of the manual, there is a clip that keeps the primary shell stop pin in place. Verify that this clip and the pin are both in place. If minor movement of the bolt release button addresses the problem you may have a problem with this primary pin, or possibly the secondary pin that holds the two halves of the mechanism together.

Checking all of this may seem a bit daunting, but you will get to know your gun and likely find a simple problem that is hopefully caused by a piece of debris where it shouldn't be.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

There are a few abnormalities that will keep the lifter locked.

1) If the bolt/carrier combination is slightly out of battery. This will kick the rear of the bolt stop out and lock the lifter. Have you taken the forearm off to see that your piston is getting fully forward? If it isn't the bolt won't lock into place, the carrier (or slide) won't be fully forward and the lifter will stay locked.

2) If your lifter is bent, trigger group is out-of-spec (or damaged) or you have installed a side-saddle (too tightly) that replaces the trigger pins, the lifter can have issues. Any of these can result in the lifter being out of alignment with the receiver. In most guns, the functional lifter is actually canted a bit away from the shell stop side of the receiver, so that could be an area of concern for your gun.

3) If there is something lodged behind your bolt release/shell stop mechanism. There is a lot of grease in this area from the factory. It will sometimes attract small pieces of material from the manufacturing or shipping process and prevent the full range of motion of the shell stop. You can go further with #4 below to further analyze the problem.

4) If the bolt release/shell stop mechanism is malfunctioning. This is usually because one of the pins is broken or is missing. If you look at your diagram in the back of the manual, there is a clip that keeps the primary shell stop pin in place. Verify that this clip and the pin are both in place. If minor movement of the bolt release button addresses the problem you may have a problem with this primary pin, or possibly the secondary pin that holds the two halves of the mechanism together.

Checking all of this may seem a bit daunting, but you will get to know your gun and likely find a simple problem that is hopefully caused by a piece of debris where it shouldn't be.

William

William,

Thanks again! Your question about the forearm assembly prompted me to take a second look at it. And sure enough, it was assembled incorrectly, stopping the bolt from moving completely forward, and preventing the lifter/elevator from opening. I recall asking the guy at the gun store 'why didn't it open and he said that a round must be chambered first and then the elevator would release. I thought that was odd but went forward with the purchase. When I disassembled it for cleaning, all parts were layer out in the order that they came off the gun and replaced in the same order. Your question about the forearm lead me to take a look at the reassembly instructions and discovered the mistake. It works great and I do greatly appreciate your help. Thank you and have a great day!

William,

Thanks again! Your question about the forearm assembly prompted me to take a second look at it. And sure enough, it was assembled incorrectly, stopping the bolt from moving completely forward, and preventing the lifter/elevator from opening. I recall asking the guy at the gun store 'why didn't it open and he said that a round must be chambered first and then the elevator would release. I thought that was odd but went forward with the purchase. When I disassembled it for cleaning, all parts were layer out in the order that they came off the gun and replaced in the same order. Your question about the forearm lead me to take a look at the reassembly instructions and discovered the mistake. It works great and I do greatly appreciate your help. Thank you and have a great day!

Glad to hear it was a simple fix! It sounds like someone got under the hood and over their head with your gun before you bought it.

Enjoy your new 930!

William

Glad to hear it was a simple fix! It sounds like someone got under the hood and over their head with your gun before you bought it.

Enjoy your new 930!

William

It appears that way. However, I special ordered the gun at an on base gun store at Nellis AFB in Nevada. I can't imagine it coming from the factory that way or the folks at the gun store 'getting under the hood'. Anyway, I'm happy with it and once again, I really appreciate your help .

Back