• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

14" 590A1?

kurtis

Ok so I have the opportunity to get a factory 14" 590A1. Would be a 5 dollar tax stamp since its an AOL because it was factory with no stock. Ive always wanted one but I have a few worries. One Im in the military so I move every few years which makes me think what if I get stationed somewhere I cant take it what would I do? And second I have a 500 with an 18.5 barrel Im not sure if 14" would be more practical. hence camping trips and compactness. I do love them and want to go through with it but these two things are holding me back.

Thoughts?

Does it have a stock?

If it does its an SBS, not an AOW and still subject to the $200 tax stamp. The only way it would be an AOW is if it is a factory pistol grip only model with an overall length equal to or under 26".

As far as the chance of being transferred to a state where possession would be illegal, I believe you'd be SOL without storing it indefinitely until you return. When an NFA item is transferred to an individual, that person is the only one allowed possession or even access to the item. If I leave the key to the safe where I keep my suppressor out where my wife can use it to gain access then I have broken the law. You can circumvent this issue by creating a trust thereby granting any person included in the trust access to any NFA items transferred to the trust rather than to one individual. If you have a close family member you'd trust to hang on to your NFA item should you get transferred that's the way to go...

Does it have a stock?

If it does its an SBS, not an AOW and still subject to the $200 tax stamp. The only way it would be an AOW is if it is a factory pistol grip only model with an overall length equal to or under 26".

As far as the chance of being transferred to a state where possession would be illegal, I believe you'd be SOL without storing it indefinitely until you return. When an NFA item is transferred to an individual, that person is the only one allowed possession or even access to the item. If I leave the key to the safe where I keep my suppressor out where my wife can use it to gain access then I have broken the law. You can circumvent this issue by creating a trust thereby granting any person included in the trust access to any NFA items transferred to the trust rather than to one individual. If you have a close family member you'd trust to hang on to your NFA item should you get transferred that's the way to go...

It has a pistol grip. Just seems like it would be big hassle on top of moving. I just really want one but are they even practical for anything or is it just the cool factor Id be paying for? Like said I already have a stocked 500 18.5 that is out HD shotgun.

Well, at under 26" it's definitely a good back-up gun that carries easy in a scabbard or strapped to a pack. The PG only models don't point as naturally as the shoulder stock variety, but in a pinch I'd take one over a pointy stick. If you don't mind the 8-12 month wait for the NFA process, it's not a bad way to go for the $5 stamp.

However I will say that if one were to take a factory pistol grip only shotgun that has never had a stock fixed to the receiver and find yourself a 14" barrel, one could assemble said pieces into a non-NFA regulated firearm that is neither a shotgun, SBS, AOW, or any other form of defined NFA regulated firearm as long as the overall length measures longer than 26". The trick is to use a straight pistol grip like the Raptor Grip from Shockwave Technologies. This option essentially accomplishes the same thing from a functional standpoint without the hassle of the NFA paperwork or the long wait...

Well, at under 26" it's definitely a good back-up gun that carries easy in a scabbard or strapped to a pack. The PG only models don't point as naturally as the shoulder stock variety, but in a pinch I'd take one over a pointy stick. If you don't mind the 8-12 month wait for the NFA process, it's not a bad way to go for the $5 stamp.

However I will say that if one were to take a factory pistol grip only shotgun that has never had a stock fixed to the receiver and find yourself a 14" barrel, one could assemble said pieces into a non-NFA regulated firearm that is neither a shotgun, SBS, AOW, or any other form of defined NFA regulated firearm as long as the overall length measures longer than 26". The trick is to use a straight pistol grip like the Raptor Grip from Shockwave Technologies. This option essentially accomplishes the same thing from a functional standpoint without the hassle of the NFA paperwork or the long wait...

Ok I was curious about this so I can have a 14" barrel as long as the overall length is 26 and it came originally with a PG? I always thought that the barrel itself couldn't be shorter than 18". I love the raptor grips too.

is there any documentation you could link me to on this? That sounds like a smarter and easier way to go .

Last edited:
Both points are correct.

Yes you can have a 14" barrel outside of NFA regs., but ONLY in the configuration described above. The shortest legal non-NFA length on a shotgun is 18", BUT to be classified as a "shotgun" the firearm must have been configured with a shoulder stock. If a smooth bore 12ga firearm is manufactured without a stock it does not fall within any current legal classification as outlined by the NFA.

Shockwave Tech. has their ATF letter published on the site...

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Keep in mind that even in this configuration you may still run into issues with lawful possession depending on state regs. if you move. Even in states where it's perfectly legal you may still run into potential confiscation issues where LEO may not be familiar with the particulars of its legality...

Ok well extensive calling and reading moss berg no longer sells the 14 inch conversion kit not even to military and law enforcement. But doing the math it would of cost more to do the conversion than going the class 3 route. I found one 590A1 14" and placed the order and should be shipping to my ffl in a month or two. Then the long wait begins but I got it for 450. Not a bad price for something unique that they don't offer anymore and that Ill never get rid of.

Nice!

Keep us posted on your experience with the process. I'm curious on the turnaround time...

Nice!

Keep us posted on your experience with the process. I'm curious on the turnaround time...
Well fast update got orders to move earlier than expected so the process got nixed. I won't be in the state long enough to do the whole process. The shop who has that 14" 590 is very helpful. Great guy he didn't hesitate to refund me when I let him know my situation.

Now since mossberg stopped selling the 14" conversion kit Im thinking of a different route. Maybe taking a PG 500 and cutting the barrel flush with the mag tube. It won't be 14" but closer to 16" and do the raptor grip. This way Ill still get somewhat of what I wanted without the wait and worrying about state transfers. Plus Ill have 5+1 instead of 4+1.

what a short lived thrill haha within hours of ordering and calling my ffl things fell through. I guess thats life time to move on and make my own.

Ok so I have the opportunity to get a factory 14" 590A1. Would be a 5 dollar tax stamp since its an AOL because it was factory with no stock.

So the gun is already on a form 4?

You are correct in being nervous about moving to an NFA unfriendly state. The gun would be a no go.

If you had a gun box or gun safe that you could leave at a family members house in a state that did allow it that you could put a lock on it, I'm pretty sure that is allowed. The catch is, only you are supposed to have access to it since it would be registered to you and why I mentioned the lock.

Unless you are going to make a gun trust where you could add other people, though if you went that route, it better be someone you trust 100%.

So the gun is already on a form 4?

You are correct in being nervous about moving to an NFA unfriendly state. The gun would be a no go.

If you had a gun box or gun safe that you could leave at a family members house in a state that did allow it that you could put a lock on it, I'm pretty sure that is allowed. The catch is, only you are supposed to have access to it since it would be registered to you and why I mentioned the lock.

Unless you are going to make a gun trust where you could add other people, though if you went that route, it better be someone you trust 100%.
All my family is in california so I believe that would be a hassle especially how the gun laws are there. They didn't submit the forum yet I contacted my ffl and them they said they can do the transfer and I placed the order and a few hours late nixed it. Oh well the raptor grip 16 inch barrel will work for me lol.

You should just simplify your situation and get something legal in CA "just in case" meaning a std shottie with 18" barrel...
already have a standard 18" shotty just wanted something a little different. I don't need it but want it type thing.

I have a small regular cab truck that I take camping hunting ext and just want something that would be super compact. Theres not a whole lot of space in there lol.

Last edited:
Don't have a clue about your laws (I'm from Canada) but I have a 14" 590A1 and I'll be putting on a Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip, giving it an OAL of 26.5" (must be 26" here or it's considered a restricted firearm - range only gun).
RG500.11.jpg

I ended up taking the factory stock off of it and putting on a Choate Pistol Grip stock, which shaved a little off of it, making it 33.25" OAL. Again, don't know about tax stamps and such, we don't have that here. Guys here are running around with 12" 870 barrels, as long as it's 26"+, it's fine.
M590A114b0001_zps39a29bdc.jpg

With Choate stock...
MossbergChoate_zps74535b96.png

Here's it's current configuration:
Venom70001_zpsbsqyggbx.jpg

Here's my other shorty, a 14" Fabarm Pro Forces:
Fabarm%20sdass2_zpst7bjpnkp.png

Here's some shorty's from the Canadian gun forum:
Here is a 12" Dominion Arms barrel on a Wingmaster (centre), Dlask 8.5" barrel (bottom)
IMG_6255_zps62d9337c.jpg

Wingmaster w/12.5" Dlask barrel
DxlvdU.jpg

Last edited:
Some great looking shotguns.

Here in the U.S. any shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches long is restricted to a tax stamp regardless of overall length.

Though, even if a shotgun has a barrel length of 18 inches, it still has to be greater than 26 inches overall, but the 18 barrel is usually the part that will catch hell over without having a short barrel permit.

Yes.

Though the tax stamp is for each.

Meaning, 1 stamp for 1 gun.

Anyone use the Shockwave Raptor Grip and have thoughts on it? Probably not that practical, but fun. I'll find out shortly when it comes...

Back