• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Inside of barrel looks scratched

I was cleaning out my bartel after todays trip to the range and I noticed that an inch after the end of where the shell stops the barrel looks like there are stress cracks our scratches for about am inch, then the rest of the barrel is smooth. These are all around the entire circumstance of the inside and I can feel them when I run my brush down the barrel.is this normal or do I have an issue?

I only have a couple hundred shots through it so I don't think this looks normal.i will see if I can get a pic.

I have been using Remington 00 and slugs for practice bought in the 15 packs from wally world.

It is probably lead build up. Take your cleaning rod and scrape at it, then pull the rod out and look at the end and it will probably have lead on it.

oli700 said:
It is probably lead build up. Take your cleaning rod and scrape at it, then pull the rod out and look at the end and it will probably have lead on it.

Agree! Probably lead and plastic wadding. Soak a patch in bore cleaner, wrap around the brush. I use an old cleaning rod chucked in a drill. Lot easier than 50-60 strokes and 20 patches to clean it.

I have yet to come across anything like this so I'll be watchin to see what comes of it!

OK, first off I need to pay more attention when using my cell phone to make a post. I just read it again.

:lol: "around the entire circumstance of the inside" :lol:

stupid swype spelling

Anyway, here is what I was seeing.

2011-08-21111618.jpg

I took the advice to lightly scratch the barrel with the cleaning rod and this is what came out.

2011-08-21112503.jpg

Culprit, lead build up. *shrugs* OK, learning all the time. ;) I just need to work on getting it out of there. Thanks for the input guys!

ladytech777 said:
wrap around the brush. I use an old cleaning rod chucked in a drill. Lot easier than 50-60 strokes and 20 patches to clean it.

^ great advice. After all, it's a smoothbore and you're not going to hurt the rifling because there isn't any.

Yep, after seeing that, it was definitely just in need of cleaning! Yeah that dark ring in there, like Oli said is the forcing cone... I dont have that anymore! :D VCS and lovin it!

Rossignol said:
Yep, after seeing that, it was definitely just in need of cleaning! Yeah that dark ring in there, like Oli said is the forcing cone... I dont have that anymore! :D VCS and lovin it!

So many wants and not enough funds to finance them all. lol

Ripsnortr said:
Rossignol said:

So many wants and not enough funds to finance them all. lol

Dude, tell me about it!

Back