• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Sights

Re: Ghost ring /bead sight setup. Will it Work?

Okay I have some numbers now. The Hiviz sight is .423 tall and the Mossberg ghost ring front sight is .750. My question now is, is there enough adjustment in the rear ghost ring to overcome the .327 difference? I know from the article I referenced that the LPA ghost ring works with the Hiviz sight. I could be wrong but I don't think there is as much adjustment in the mossberg ghost ring vs the LPA but I do think that the mossberg ghost ring sets lower on the receiver, which could be to my benefit. Can anybody verify my thinking here? Thanks for all the help.

I tried this on a 20 ga 500. The GRS is too high for the bead or hiViz. It will not sight in.
The front and rear sights need to be at the same height. I went with LPA rail mounted GRS and
the matching front sight. Even with LPA sights you need to order the matching front sight as there are rail or receiver mounts and the front sights are different heights. It was pricey but well worth it. For me it just was a lot more accurate than a bead. I have 26 in and an 18 in bbl. Polychoke did the front sight mounting for me. BTW- the LPA front sight is a red hi-viz type. If you want a GRS rear you HAVE to raise the front sight to match.

ladytech777 said:
I tried this on a 20 ga 500. The GRS is too high for the bead or hiViz. It will not sight in.

Did you try this with GRS and a standard bead? The Hiviz sight that I am looking at is made to be used with a rear sight.

Yes. The problem is the GRS will not go "low" enough to line up with the sight
and the gun ends up shooting very high. You can try it as the sights are available individually.
This is what my problem was and the how and why it took to correct it. I needed something better than the bead only.

The rear GRS I ordered where the LPA sights that comes on the SPX these cost 68.00 the front sight comes with the barrel for 155.00 this is cheaper than buying the LPA's outright 223.00 for sights and a extra barrel not a bad deal. You can expriment with the other barrel until your hearts content, just a suggestion

Iron Sight Recommendations

I recently bought a used 930 with the 18.5" barrel and extended magazine. It was significantly less expensive than a new SPX model and all it really lacks is the ghost sights. I didn't want the ghost sights anyway because of how high they sit above the barrel, but I'd prefer something more slug-worthy than the bead front sight the gun came with. Can anyone recommend some good low-profile, high-vis rifle sights that would be a good fit for this gun? Also, any thoughts on apeture rear sights would be appreciated. FWIW, the top of the receiver is already tapped for something (sights, rail, scope maybe) judging from the four dummy screws there. Thanks.

Sight options for 930 HS

I am looking to add ghost ring sights to my HS. Is LPA my only choice? I would like the rear sight to be rail mounted as at some point I will be putting an optic on.

Re: Sight options for 930 HS

I have a HS also, I just added the grs by LPA for 68.00 P/N 18446MT. I also purchased the front sight and barrel for 155.00 P/N 18449MT, Mossberg won't sell the front sight alone, I don't know what your budget is, but for 223.00 both sights which retails for over 200.00 for both and you still have to mount the front sight, but you get an extra barrel for 23.00 with the front sight mounted from the factory.

6031123974_68d825086c_z.jpg
6057522788_5708cf9a66_z.jpg
6057522760_5708cf9a66_z.jpg

BenSamp said:
The rear GRS I ordered where the LPA sights that comes on the SPX these cost 68.00 the front sight comes with the barrel for 155.00 this is cheaper than buying the LPA's outright 223.00 for sights and a extra barrel not a bad deal. You can expriment with the other barrel until your hearts content, just a suggestion

Hate to admit what I paid! $173 for LPA rail mount rear grs (midway). Got a deal on front raised sight
$50 each (needed 2) from precision sales, the LPA dist in US. Polychoke did the mounting on bbls-
$90 for both + shipping (?). It was expensive!!! I supplied the bbls!

ladytech777 said:
BenSamp said:

Hate to admit what I paid! $173 for LPA rail mount rear grs (midway). Got a deal on front raised sight
$50 each (needed 2) from precision sales, the LPA dist in US. Polychoke did the mounting on bbls-
$90 for both + shipping (?). It was expensive!!! I supplied the bbls!
There was a post where someone had put the p/n's for the ext. tube and charging handle and I orderd both for 45.00, I asked about the LPA sights and was given a price of 68.00 for the rear and 155.00 for barrel and front sight. The c/s person told me that you can't get the front sight alone you have to buy both. Here in Maryland the SPX retails for 799.99 + tax, it was cheaper to build one until I went to a Dick's store and saw one for 619.00 paid 590.00 otd for my HS, so don't feel bad

Re: Iron Sight Recommendations

It is tapped for a base/rail. So your looking for something low profile?

Re: Iron Sight Recommendations

I'm not clear on whether you're against ghost ring sights in general or specifically don't like the "high profile" sights on the 930 SPX. The ghost ring sights on the 590A1 mount directly to the receiver. That would save you a bit of height.

Like so ...
m590a1reciever.jpg

With that said, I can't recall an instance where the "high profile" sights on my 930 SPX have been an issue. They're really pretty nice sights.

Are you familiar with silver soldering or do you intend to have a gunsmith mount the front sight?

Hi Guys,
New member here.
I have a 500a for HD and I wanted to outfit it with these sights also.
I talked to mossberg support and the told me the following, kinda like Ben said.
I need to order the Barrel and front site 18.5" part: 18930MT (different from Ben')
and the Rear sight 18446MT

The problem is I can't find where to order these. I searched on the mossberg sight and these numbers don't come up.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum reapur & K9Force !!

When you both find the time, please stop by the New Members Welcome area and introduce yourself's to our community !! Thanks ...

reapur said:
Hi Guys,
New member here.
I have a 500a for HD and I wanted to outfit it with these sights also.
I talked to mossberg support and the told me the following, kinda like Ben said.
I need to order the Barrel and front site 18.5" part: 18930MT (different from Ben')
and the Rear sight 18446MT

The problem is I can't find where to order these. I searched on the mossberg sight and these numbers don't come up.
any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
I believe you can order them directly through the Mossberg Customer Service department; (800) 363-3555.

Thanks Dan,
There were closed when I posted that question and felt too impatient to wait til tomorrow. I thought maybe there was an external place to order online.

I'll be calling them tomorrow.

so in case this helps others,
for my 500a I ordered the following:
18.5" barrel + sight $125 18930MT
rear LPA ghostring $68 18446MT

cheers

SPX Front Sight Blade

One of the best features of the SPX is the LPA sights. I only wish there were more options for front sight blades. I am particularly enamored with the XS Sights, having switched the front blade on my previous 590A1 to XS Big Dot Tritium, I found it quick to acquire and plenty accurate at shotgun anti-social distances.

Unfortunately, despite my continuing to harangue them, XS does not seem interested in developing a Big Dot Tritium blade for the LPS sights. LPA only offers a small white dot or tritium insert as an option to the factory installed fiber optic front blade. I like fiber optic front sights, however the small "pipe" used by LPA on the front blade is better suited to handgun sight radius' than to use on much longer sight radius of a shotgun.

Prior to my 590A1, all of the shotguns I had owned or used all had simple brass/gold beads mounted on the barrel. While very visible, they were not adjustable or well protected. That's when the wattage increased in my dim bulb brain, I said to myself... "self, why not a gold bead on the LPA front blade?"

So... I ordered another LPA fiber optic blade through PSI and a 14ct gold insert from SDM Fabricatiion. After some whittling, drilling, hammering, cussing and bleeding...

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

I'm not giving up on a Tritium Big Dot though. If XS Sights doesn't step up I'm going to make my own. A LPA blade trimmed down, a short length of small steel tube stock laser welded to the blade, white Delrin inserted into the tube, and if I can get Tooltech Gunsight to do a tritium insert....

Back