• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: How do I care for my first shotgun?

I will dip a cleaning patch into it or a wool dauber I have on hand for leather dyes. I dont apply it to the outside, it just ends up there inadvertantly! ;)

My Dad was a master carpenter, so I picked up a lot of things about wood over the years from him.

About once a year, get an old rag (old sweat shirt works best) and go over all the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap.

Not only will this clean sweat and dirt and whatever off of the stock rather well, it also penetrates the wood keeping it from drying out as badly.

I don't have any pictures cleaing my wooden buttstocks, but here is a 120 year old clock that I restored that had been stored in less than ideal conditions before and after cleaning with it.

mammiesclockrestoration006.jpg

mammiesclock016.jpg

Ooooh, Nice! I dont know anything about taking care of wood...

Failure to Feed

Good evening everyone.

I had the displeasure of taking the 500 all the way down again this evening. It's only the 2nd time I've had it all the way field stripped in the 11 or so years I've had it and it's just as annoying as I remembered getting it all back together again.

I think I found out what was binding and keeping a fresh round from chambering. Best I can tell it was little remnants of spruce pine needles between the receiver and the bar.

I cleaned everything really good and finally got it back together and it's like a whole new gun again. Besides feeding right again, it also feels like it cycles a lot easier too.

Just thought I'd pass my experience along because everyone knows how reliable the design is, but like any other gun, you gotta keep them clean if you want them to work right.

Re: Failure to Feed

good that you found it.
and while Im confident I over clean my maverick, I only clean it atleast twice a year.

Glad to hear you were able to figure out what was wrong. How often do you use it that you only needed to clean it twice in a 11 years?

Yeah, pump shotguns are my least favorite of any gun to tear down and put back together.

Describe in as much detail as possible. Where are you loading the shell, and at what point of the cycle does it not work?

pine11cone said:
I load a shell and cant make the pump action work. What am I missing, it worked before.

Thank you

Detail is definately needed. The biggest thing is "before" what exactly? There aren't many parts that can go wrong on a 500 series, so diagnosis shouldn't be too hard.

Mine recently started not getting a round out of the tube (feed failure).

All I had to do was take it apart and clean it and put everything back together. As bad as I hated to.

John A. said:
All I had to do was take it apart and clean it and put everything back together. As bad as I hated to.

:lol: I find this funny! It takes like 5 minutes to do, 10 to 15 if youre bein real thorough, but I'm right there with you! I dont like doin it too much either, although i dont have quite the avoidance behavior over it you do!

Yeah, Pine11Cone, it is more than likely something that can be remedied by cleaning... in most cases anyway, thats all it is. As Rip mentioned, there arent too many parts to mess with, it only gets tricky with trigger group and the bolt and extractors.

Takes me a lot longer than 10 minutes. It's like learning all over again every time I do it. LOL

I can have an AR or AK or even most pistols field stripped in a matter of a few minutes.

Pumps, more like a half hour.

heat shield question

I have a hd breacher barrel and it is tapperd , and when i was going to order the polymer one it said it was for the regular 18.5 barrel not the tapperd type . Any one know of such a shield for the barrel i have ?

Back