• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Wood Furniture

Hey everybody,

I've been doing some research into what sets of wood stocks and forearms would fit on my 590A1 and have been getting a lot of different info.

I was just curious if any of you guys had set your A1's up with wood furniture and had any insight.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Not mine, but here's one of the best looking A1's we've seen here on the forum wearing an older model corn cobb forend and wood stock...

Re: I'll show you mine if you show me yours! 590 photo threa
DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

Look at what I found!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lucked out on finding this stock and forend (Pretty sure I bought a whole shotgun just for this stock set :lol: :oops: )

I have one of these forends as well that I've tried on my A1 and it fits well. Some may take a bit of fitting, but then again so do some of the newer poly forends like the one from Hogue...

500 furniture will fit, you'll need the longer forend (there are two sizes). I have a 14" 590A1 and it has the short forend. Here's an 18.5" 590A1 I put some refinished wood on:
590A1wood0001_zps57d524dd.jpg

590A1WoodatRange_zps0d81a199.png

I just went through this myself. Any 500A or 835 stock will fit on your 590A1. For the forend, you need one for the 7-5/8 action slide. Most of the ones you see for sale are for the longer set.

Havlinsales.com sells the wood furniture in the raw. Here's a pic from their website that will help you figure out what size you're looking at, if you come across a used set.
image004.gif

The top forearm is for the shorter 6-1/2in action slide; the bottom forearm is the one you want and for the longer 7-5/8in action slide.

Throughout the years, Mossberg has used different styles of checkering on their wood furniture. The corncob forend seems to be the most desirable and hardest to find. There's also a ribbed version and a checkered version. st1264 above posted the checkered, and Gronk posted the corncob. Here's a pic of the ribbed version:
img_6478%20(large).jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

For the stock, there are also several variations. There are a few types of checkered and also a non-checkered smooth version.

When I decided to put wood furniture on my 590A1, I first chose which model of 500 I wanted to emulate - the 500ATP. The correct wood is hard to find as a matched set, and when it does pop up for sale, it always goes for $100+. I ended up just buying an actual 500ATP and swapping the furniture.

Here's my 590A1:
20879561911_8358e3bb5f_h.jpg

Personally, I chose the forend style (sporting) first and then bought the appropriate action slide (6-1/2") to mount it on my shotty (a 500, but you get the idea). Otherwise I got my set off eBay and refinished it, but if I had to do it again I'd order new from Mossberg because wood sets are hard to find and mostly rough-looking or non-matching. Mossberg can be fairly unresponsive (1/2 hour long phone waits and a month to return emails), but through Joe Zakher you'd get what you want in days.

500 with Wood Furniture.jpg

image004.gif

The top forearm is for the shorter 6-1/2in action slide; the bottom forearm is the one you want and for the longer 7-5/8in action slide.

Is that shorter forend a Mossberg made forend? I wasn't aware you could get that style for the shorter action slide tube.

Is that shorter forend a Mossberg made forend? I wasn't aware you could get that style for the shorter action slide tube.

Yes. My 14" 590A1 came with the short forend, I believe some of the 500 "Field" models also have a short forend. I think it's about an inch or so but it's noticeable. Short on top vs Long on the bottom.

50120-media-1920x344.jpg

54300-media-1920x441.jpg

Yes. My 14" 590A1 came with the short forend, I believe some of the 500 "Field" models also have a short forend. I think it's about an inch or so but it's noticeable. Short on top vs Long on the bottom.

Actually, I have both those forends. lol The forends in those pictures both fit on my 6-3/4" slide tube. I was just surprised Mossberg had a ribbed forend that fits on the shorter slide tube. I might have to try and hunt one down now. :D

Back