• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What to do with my 930?

Chitrod

Copper BB
I bought a 930 "Tactical" with the breacher barrel at Walmart for $249 last week. Shot it Saturday it was a blast. I'm not big on the breacher barrel but I do like having a shorter barrel for a home defense gun. I was thinking about getting another barrel maybe a 24 inch to use for range and occasional hunting as well as a magazine extension. I have thought about adding a rail piece to the receiver for maybe a red dot and maybe a light mount. I don't want to do the whole railed forearm thing though.

Questions, would putting the rail piece on the receiver interfere with using it for occasional hunting? Should I consider another barrel besides the 24 inch? Where can i find a flashlight mount?

$240 ?? That seems like a phenomenal price.....I might have to stop by my local "evil empire" and see if we have anything on super sale like that!

Agree with others that your purchase price seems just short of unbelievable.

What kind of hunting do you think will be aided by a 24" barrel? That's kinda a non-conventional length for some hunters. I see 24" turkey choked guns meant to allow them to point in tight cover, but 28" is more conventional for most shooting.

I'm glad you have such a good shotgun with lots of options before you!!!!

Last edited:
Well now I am literally crying. Decided I'd just peek at the gun case in the closest WalMart. There's a 930 tactical in there. Been there for a year or better. I never really looked at the exact model. Once I saw the price, I knew I wasn't gonna be doing much more than looking anyhow.

Today, it was gone. However, the little red markdown/clearance sticker price was in it's place. $206. :(:(:(:( Take care. Tom Worthington

Ok for that price I don't care what's hanging off the end of the barrel!

If I were adding a barrel for hunting, I'd look for one that has the fiber optic sights, like the front post and mid bead style. The rail would work for an optic like a low profile MRDS or reflex or holosight maybe but much more and you run into cheek weld issues and you may need something like a stock pad like what Triad makes or you could even get into another style of stock altogether.

As for the actual barrel, a rib vent barrel preferably something threaded for choke tubes in my opinion. It also depends what you may hunt and how.

My current hunting gun is an 835 with a 20" barrel. We hunt (not well) mostly from a blind. A 28" barrel would never do. Also I like the shorter barrel when we're hiking to a spot and carrying backpacks and if we're having to go over or through anything.

Choke tubes can make a load perform better at shorter or longer ranges and switched out for what you hunt too so in that regard, the length of the barrel is less important to me.

But, I'd also want opinions from guys who routinely use longer barrels.

I checked my local Walmart this evening. They've had the same model as you mentioned above.

They are however fresh out.

Back