• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: heat shield question

Tapperd ? . All the 500 barrels are bigger at the breach and smaller at the muzzle.....atleast all the ones I have seen.

oli700 said:
Tapperd ? . All the 500 barrels are bigger at the breach and smaller at the muzzle.....atleast all the ones I have seen.
well thats what the ones on e bay said ....the one i am looking to buy has the picture of the shield on a tile floor .....

A lot of the time the people on ebay may not know what they actually have. Unless you know exactly what it is- don't bother.

Buy the metal Mossberg shield from Mossberg themselves or a reputable place like Midway USA.

Mudinyeri said:
Buy the metal Mossberg shield from Mossberg themselves or a reputable place like Midway USA.

Yup, spend the extra $$$ with a reputable company, save the headache and be happier!

54125.jpg

Is this the barrel you are talking about? If so I don't think there is an option to add a heat shield to it.

Ah... It is different, because of the standoff breacher. An 18.5" barrel without is smooth to the muzzle, but with this, part of the 18.5" includes that standoff which also adds the sight post a little further back.

There is no room between the forend and the mag tube cap for the clamp of the heatshield , If that wasnt the case I'd try it because you could just spread the clamp to slide it over the barrel to bipass the breacher cage.

The factory heat shields for the breacher barrels are spot welded to the barrel.

Slightly different setup with your Road Blocker, it has the 500 mag tube cap. The breach pictured has the 590 mag tube and cap which sets the ring further back and closer to the pump.

Hi new guy here don't wanna hijack your thread but having similar issue. New gun now and went out to make it my own, chambered 5 field cart. with 7.5 shot 2.75 length. First 4 shot fed and shot great. Number 5 was FTF. Darn!. Looks like cartr. interrupter was slightly canted towards the elevator and stopped the action from allowing the elevator from full travel. Ideas?? If I cycle action pretty firm the elevator gets past the interrupter and feeds okay. Is it normal to cycle so firmly?. Thanks

Hi sjg!!! It is normal to have to firmly cycle the action of a new Mossberg. Have you cleaned it yet and pulled the trigger and everything? Sometimes cleaning and reseating the cartridge stop and interupter is all that is required to get it goin a little smoother...

Ok I was at a gun store about ..130 miles away from my house and I carry my sg with me when I travel any where ......and they had a tac star universal shield and it snapped on but would not clear the tube spacer thing ......it needs like 1/16 or an 1/8 trimed off so I am going to get a polly shield and trim it to fit .....so thanks guys for all your input .....

Back