• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal .410 Handgun Ammo

Melissa

.22LR
OK, this may be a stupid question...can you load .410 Handgun ammunition (the only brand I've seen is Federal but there may be others) in a Mossberg 500 .410 bore shotgun?

FYI, no I haven't done that. Just asking if it could be done without hurting the gun.

YES
It is .410 shotshell. Federal figured it could sell more to the "Judge Crowd" by calling it .410 handgun ammunition.
It aint nuttin special!

Federal Premium:
.410 Handgun Ammunition

With the success of the Taurus Judge revolver, Federal added .410 shotshells designed and optimized for use in .45 Colt/.410 handguns to their Personal Defense line of ammunition. The use of an extended shot cup improves the patterns produced by these rounds
Although the boxes are labeled “Handgun,” this ammunition has the same structure and dimensions as other industry standard 2 ½” & 3” .410 shotshells. This means they are safe to fire in dedicated .410 shotguns, including those models fitted with full chokes, as well as .45 Colt/.410 handguns.

Absolutely do it, and it is perfectly safe as long as your shotgun is in good condition. If anything, the Federal "handgun" .410 shotshell ammo is maybe a bit weaker than what you would buy in any brass based traditional hunting ammo.

My daughter and I used to use the .410 handgun quite a bit, primarily because it was the most commonly available in 00 and 000 buck. It patterned well through a fixed full choke too.

Back