• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Plate & Carriers

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just curious if anyone is picking up any plates/carriers now that the price isn't through the roof.

I found some spall coated AR500 plate in flat ($52) or curved ($64). Those are some of the better prices I have seen for 10x14 plate.

I know that someone is coming out with AR620 plate, which is considerably stronger than AR500, but I've shot a lot of ammo at my ar500 gongs and have never even had one close to punching through.

Here is a short video of an impromptu test of the scorpion gear plate.

There was a video that M193 out of a 20" barrel was zipping through the AR 500 level III plate at 15-20 yards.

M855 didn't punch through.

Can't find it right now.

I ordered the front and back piece of AR500 and a molle carrier for starters. While it would be less expensive overall to purchase a set of plates simultaneously (sides, back, front), it's easier for me to buy a piece or two at a time so it doesn't break the bank trying to do it all at once.

Food for thought at close distance engagements against 5.56 NATO with Level III steel plate armor.

For me not worth the weight for Guerrilla warfare .
If a guy was posting up against commies with x39 it might be a good thing but here where there is a good AR around every corner, not worth the weight to run to cover for me.....I am already slow , add ammo, weapon and pack makes even slower...and I carry a lighter gun that shoots lighter ammo and after about an hour of hike its all heavy and if your not moving your dead,

That is good info to have watermonkey.

Note to self, don't be on that side of the muzzle ;)

Oli, I agree on the weight. This isn't something I'd wear on date night.

Moving around on an ATV, in a truck, when the proximity alarm goes off in the driveway and I have an extra second to don it, I can see using it for that.

I'm getting too old to run and gun.

And why I'm thinking about adding some armor because I can't readily move around so well anymore.

All the AR500 Level III+ plates are backordered. No date available listed.

Aiming for the neck, head, feet, hands, weapon, armpits, etc. will "defeat" body armor although I still WANT some... :D

Aiming for the neck, head, feet, hands, weapon, armpits, etc. will "defeat" body armor although I still WANT some... :D
Not everyone is a sniper like you meat heads lol Most just aim center mass and pull the trigger.

Holla at your boy^^

14695445054_2fe1469b9c_b.jpg

Back