• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What can you do with a .22 pistol?

I've said that about more than a couple guns/calibers that later found their way into my collection....just sayin.....
Yup with the Single six conversion the extra cyl is just an option .If you need it yopu have it . --just say'n ~~MM~~

22 wmr does not interest me.
The browning is cheap and fun, but the single 10 is just flat out cool.

I don't currently own a revolver, but it would be my first choice for a gun I had to store loaded with the idea of using it in an emergency.

You just can't store an automatic loaded. The springs get weak.

But a loaded wheel gun is no problem.

That being said, my next gun will probably be a single-shot.

Simple is so appealing.

NOT TRUE

Springs get weak from use not from sitting in a compressed state

^ This

Magazine springs will lose tension much sooner when they are compressed-relaxed-compressed-relaxed over and over.

Semi autos can sit for a very long time in a loaded and ready state. Lubrication is more an enemy than weak springs.

Here is the video link that works which was mentioned in post #1

My EDC stays loaded 24/7 and has been that way for several years. Only time it's not loaded is when it's being cleaned or fired at the range. I have noticed no degradation of springs over the course of years. I also have other guns that stay loaded for long periods of time and they still function perfectly when periodically fired, ammo swapped, etc.

Edit: Something I just remembered. I have an old 25-20 rifle that I got from my grandfather. The magazine was left fully loaded and thrown in a box for probably 10 years between the last time I took it hunting and the last trip it made to the range ( a few years back). I did have some issues with the gun (that had also been an issue before) but the spring tension was not one of them.

Last edited:
Well that's good to know. :) Thanks guys.

I've always been told to "unload" the springs on things like torque wrenches, and clamps, and pistols because the constant compression makes them "give" over time. Perhaps there's a big difference in the load involved with a pistol.

My Ruger MK-3 has a key lock built into the safety, but to lock it the gun must actually be cocked.
The manual says never to leave it cocked in storage, presumably because the hammer springs go soft, but not sure.

So evidently the lock is just there to conform to the local gun laws, and you're not supposed to really use it to lock the gun.
A padlock through the slide does that OK, but the slide will always be open a little.

I keep the action closed and lock the pistol in a case, so no worries for me.

I won't store a mag loaded for long term and for the firearms that I do keep ready, I alternate mags occasionally. I have had issues from mag springs weakening over time with storage.

Has anyone else never noticed that when you first buy a mag, some of them can be a real pain to load to capacity (especially some pistol mags), and after a while, they're easier to load?

Or perhaps you have a gun stored and buy a new mag. When you load them side by side, can you not tell a difference in that the new one is generally harder to load?

I also admit that I never store a firearm with the hammer cocked for the same reason, although that is also among other reasons.

My glock 30 mags were staff as all get up when new, hard as hell to get the 10th round in. They have been stored like that for over a year. Mags have not had a hiccup at the range when stored long term loaded.

cheap crap comes with cheap springs.
I had a cheap AR bolt that had a cheap extractor spring that wore out in a couple thousand rounds but that was from cyclic use .......a quality spring would never have done that.
Leave a spring compressed on a cheap weapon you might have issues. A spring on a quality weapon or mag would last longer than the owner, compressed.
An after market spring from Wolff or other reputable spring makers will last generations cycling or compressed

I noticed something when I bought some aftermarket mags for my Mossberg .22LR.

I bought three 10-round mags from 2 vendors. They all have different spring pressure. :confused:

One is so low it won't feed if you load more than 5 rounds.

I need to get some bare springs or rob them from some cheaper mags.

Back