• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 Problems

I have had my 464 out to the range several times shooting H4895 30 gr. with Hornady 170 grain Flat Point bullets. It's difficult to get consistent groups. I have tried all the way up to 32 gr. of H4895 in .5 gr increments with 30 gr. giving the best performance.

I don't know if it's the Marble Bullseye peep sight, the handloads or the rifle. I chose the Marble Bullseye peep sight for hunting because of the quick target acquisition. It's difficult to hold it in the same place twice because of the size of the aperture.

Does the 464 groups open up after the rifle is hot? Does it matter if the magazine tube is full or empty?

Anyone else have problems with the plastic follower in the magazine tube sticking?

Bill

Changed over to the Hornady 160 grain FTX 30-30 bullet with excellent results. Using 28.5 grains of H4895. My 25 yard group of 5 shots measured 1 1/16".

Bill

Re. the .30-30 ammo problem...

I've shot 6 different factory loads through my 464 carbine now, and I still have some 70+ handloads in different formulas to try.

Fusion .30-30's were the worst feeding, tending to hang the tips on the tail of the tube mag about 1 in 3, even when I was slow and deliberate with the lever.
Winchester super-x were much better, but still required deliberation.
Remington core-lokt were about the same
Federals were slightly better & I attribute this to the rounder tip.
Lever-revolution from Hornaday, only one minor miss-feed in 20
Hornaday American Whitetail fed the best & smoothest

But that's just feeding. accuracy varied similarly.

Lever-Revolution by Hornaday & American Whitetail by Hornaday were 1 & 2 for accuracy at 50 & 100 yds.
The plastic-tip 'Revolutions certainly had the edge on accuracy. Round-tip Whitetails had the edge on feed-action.

Super-X were probably next best, nearly tied with Federals
Remington wasn't as consistent. Maybe me, maybe a bad batch.

Fusion was all over the place, on a totally calm day.
I and my buddy (a better shot than I) shot at both 50 & 100 yds and the patterns were very broad.

I'd be interested if anybody else had similar (or different) results.

Feeding issues? Is gun clean? Trouble on every round feeding? I traded for a 464 and love it had issue when i got it fixed in 5 minutes. Need more info but check spring length where ammo goes first. Mine had an owner that turned the spring cup around backwards the little orange cup. It is tapered and can bind cleaned the egdes on mine with a knife

I have had my 464 out to the range several times shooting H4895 30 gr. with Hornady 170 grain Flat Point bullets. It's difficult to get consistent groups. I have tried all the way up to 32 gr. of H4895 in .5 gr increments with 30 gr. giving the best performance.

I don't know if it's the Marble Bullseye peep sight, the handloads or the rifle. I chose the Marble Bullseye peep sight for hunting because of the quick target acquisition. It's difficult to hold it in the same place twice because of the size of the aperture.

Does the 464 groups open up after the rifle is hot? Does it matter if the magazine tube is full or empty?

Anyone else have problems with the plastic follower in the magazine tube sticking?

Bill
Bill I mentioned earlier i traded for a 464 like much better than the Marlin but previous owner had turned cup around backwards. The spring goes into the cup if it is not backwards remove it and gently with a sharp knife trim edge a tad where spring enters in. Mossberg sent a new one for free but it works so well i left it in. I also recommend not leaving the loaded with 6 rounds in closet all he time. The spring will shorten over time. This will cause feed issues. Mine is almost smooth as a Henry. Good luck oak valley shooter

My gun is brand new with under 100 rounds fired. Tube/spring works great & is correctly assembled.

My jamming was due to three things:
Funny tips on the Fusion loads.
Rough & incomplete machining on the base of the t-slot in the tail of the trap door. (the "link" on mossberg's diagram)
Rough Marinecote finish on the bolt and interior receiver surfaces, further exacerbated by the bolt edges digging into the too-thick/rough finish.

Once I polished out the bolt/receiver rails/edges with white scotchbrite and gun oil, the action smoothed out like silk. I also dressed off the chamfers on the bolt tail and top & bottom of the bolt lock which rides in the mentioned t-slot. Once I finished the machine work with a file and scraper, and polished the bolt lock, the jamming ceased completely.

Fusion loads run OK too, IF I chamfer the little lead tip. I thought they were too long, but not so. Their funny tip catches the end of the tube every time and leaves a lead streak inside the tube, tail end, upper side.

Also:
I think the hammer spring is too strong on this gun and presses the bolt up hard at full extension, causing friction. I oil the bottom of the bolt one drop, every 10 rounds or so, or just wipe oil under the bolt with your finger. Once the oil under the bolt is blown/scraped off, the hammer drags on the bolt.

I leave the gun cocked & locked and unloaded hoping the spring will soften, but I think I'll mod it next.

Back