• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Serial Number Data Base

Sent my request to Havlin, got a reply back from Cheryl the same day.

Model: Mossberg 500AB
Serial Number: C111xx

Response: "I can't give you a date but I can give you a year range of 1971-1972. The A B C & D serial numbers date from 1969-1972 and were only 5 digits following each alpha character. They soon realized that they were going to run out of alphabet and switched to 6 digits in 1973"

Hope this helps out the list.
-Ant954

Ms.Martinez has helped many members here. A+ for her.:)

Thank you for posting your info.

I will update our list.

My Mossberg 500a is K883XXX, so I guess it was made in 1990. My gun is stainless steel I think. Do you know if they made any ss 500 that year? From what I have read they are very rare, so if it is I am not sure. It does not look coated to me.

That's a nice Mossy you have. (pics?). Sorry to say it is not SS. It is a highly polished marinecote.

Thank you for posting your serial #, I will update our list.:)

I really think the barrel is stainless. The magazine tube looks like it is coated, but the barrel looks stainless even under a magnifier.IMG_5726.JPG IMG_5734.JPG

I'm looking to get a project gun.

There is a mossy pump advertised locally to me. Very cheap but very scarce in detail. Even the owner is unsure.

What I know is the serial number is H297836. Any details would be very helpful indeed..

All I can tell you without any pics and markings on the gun is that it's a 1979.

P632xxx on mine

Contacted Mossberg and have more info. Built 1999 and model 50663
20" barrel
590 tactical

Last edited:
Apparently the MMR serial numbers break with the norm of one alpha followed by six numbers (or five numbers and an alpha). They start with "MMR", followed by five numbers and an alpha). I guess what you want are the first three numbers following ANY alpha characters?

So, the serial # on my MMR (Hunter) is MMR086xxA. Purchased in Dec 2015.

By the way, I checked on my Mossberg model 26B .22 single shot (mfg and purchased ca 1938). I couldn't find a serial number on either the barrel or the action.

Thank you for posting your numbers. I updated our data base.

Early Mossbergs didn't have serial numbers.

I have a Mossberg 500A pump with checkered wood stock and forearm, ventilated rib, accu choke (3 different screw in chokes) 40" overall including recoil pad- barrel seems to be 19 1/2 - but can only find references to 18 1/2 or 24" lengths- was told is is a "TURKEY SPECIAL" model ?-- the serial # is J363072 and I think I bought it in the early 1980's.. anyone have any info or any comments on this?? thanks DeeWayne

Back