• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg M2K

wscrst

Copper BB
I would like to get information on a 22 rifle that I acquired. I couldn't find information in my blue book or on line. The rifle has a bolt action, 18 inch barrel, folding front stock which gives it a pistol grip and is marked M2K. It is awesome. Mossberg got back to me quickly and come up with the following: the parts for the M2K were made by Lakefield Arms of Canada in the 70s. Mossberg assembled them as a Mark II. Savage Arms later bought out Lakefield. Savage still makes a Mark II. The only reason I question this is the model M2K (not MK2). Does anyone know if that is a Mark II or possibly something else. Regardless, I am interested.

Savage maintains its headquarters in Westfield, MA in the United States. The company also manufactures rimfire rifles in Lakefield, Ontario, Canada. This began after Savage acquired Lakefield Arms from Cooey. All their .22 rimfire rifles are simply re-branded Lakefield rifles.

Pictures of the gun ( both sides ) and pics of any identifying features ( inscriptions ) would help us help you.

Here are pics. I think that the fold out front stock is quite unique. The markings did not focus. Markings state OF Mossberg and Sons, New Haven, CT 22 LR S, Model M2K.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    433.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    403.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0445.JPG
    IMG_0445.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 12
Can anyone tell me extra information about this rifle? Is it a Mark II? I feel like the fold down front stock makes this gun unique. Thanks if you know anything.

I really need help with this gun. I have just been told by its 90 year old owner that his brother bought it in the early 40s. This goes against what Mossberg told me of it being made with lakefield parts in the 70s. What else can I do to identify this gun?

I would contact the Havlins they are the pros with older Mossberg's. (636) 937-6401

Thank you. Cheryl Havlin is the one who told me that this was made in the 70s and was a mark 2. I will probably never know.

Not a Mossberg expert, but to me this doesn't represent US-made guns of the '70s as much as it would the older guns I was around.
An older design surely, so quite likely the production line was shifted off our soil as the design lost favor with US consumers.

Foreign factories might have built examples much later than the 70's too. A lot would depend on how many could be sold there, and how long the tooling held out. No sense to tune up all the tooling, just for an outmoded design, if a newer one was available.

That is a US model Moss. 142A, First ones made had the T handle bolt, 1949. Yours is a round nob handle, made year or so later. These dates are for US sales. I know nothing about Canada models and dates.

Last edited:
Yours may be an updated M2 as Mossberg used the "K" after the model number to indicate a change or update. also yours with the wood fold down may have been Mossberg using up their wood ones. The ones I saw here in Canada were the plastic foregrip. I had a couple in the mid seventies but they were the the semi versions. I have a Mossberg 142A that is similar. Again the "A" indicates a change from a 142.
Bill

There was no 142, only a 142A and a 142K, the K stood for open sight (no peep) only as it did on all other Moss rifles with the K. It did not indicate a change but a different model. Changes were designated by a lower case letter like (a), (b), etc.

Back