• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATN X sight 5-18 Night Vision scope

Bobster, the shaking was me. The harder I tried to be still, the more I wasn't. LOL

I was able to zero the new scope and test it out during live fire this evening. It's pretty neat.

It wasn't very hard to zero despite that I was just using a bag rest. The 1 shot zero was awesome. If you had a led sled or a shooting vise would be even easier (barely).

I wasn't able to run it through all of it's paces, and only got to fire about 10 rounds or so in total because I was zero'ing the pink AR, and shooting the XD40 and Beretta 92 while I was there too, so sorry for the short video.

But it does have audio now. I called ATN tech support and they got me figured out in a few minutes. Turns out that I didn't have a program installed on my machine that I needed.

Anyway, I plan to do a lot more shooting with this gun soon both day and night weather permitting, so until then:

,,,,says video is private???

Good now.

Last edited:
If I had more ammo and time when I was up there, I would've REALLY started having a good time with it but I only took a single box of ammo with me between sighting in 2 AR's because it was getting late. ;)

Maybe I can play at night next time and I'll take a lot more than a box of ammo [evil grin]

It was about 72 degree's today, so I took full advantage of it while I had it.

We had 18 inches of snow on the ground barely a week and a half ago.

I was ready for some trigger time.

The latest firmware version was released today and it is MUCH improved over the previous version.

While it did (temporarily) disable some of the scopes features until the next update is released, I must say that they NAILED it and I wasn't using those features right now anyway, although they could come in handy. But this update addressed almost every complaint that I have read online from various places.

Here is a paste of the email notification.

"Many of you have been patiently waiting for the next major version of the X-Sight firmware and it is finally here. Below you'll find the details of the specific features that have been updated. Most notably you'll see that the reticle now stay in the center of the screen while zooming in. Happy hunting!
  • Key Feature: During Smooth Zoom the reticle will no longer shift proportionately away from the center. The reticle will begin at whatever position you zero the reticle to. When zooming, the reticle will now move towards center of the screen
  • Key Feature: Due to popular demand - Photo Capture has been integrated with Video Capture. You may now take photos while recording video.
    Note: To properly test the usability of this change, standalone Photo Capture has been disabled
  • Reticle is now displayed in recorded content
  • Power through USB available (batteries needed to power on, but can be removed once an external USB power is plugged in)
  • WiFi has been optimized and is more stable
  • GPS temporarily disabled; no geotag, no velocity, no altitude. (Will be enabled in next firmware update)
  • True magnification shown when using Smooth Zoom. User must first select lens type, i.e. 3x (for 3-12x X-Sight) or 5x (for 5-18x X-Sight)
  • Added Sleep Mode to improve battery life. X-Sight will go to sleep when not used or moved. Any physical movement of the scope or button press will awaken the device
  • Various bug fixes"

I took the liberty of checking my scope after installing the update and I am even more pleased than before.

I noticed earlier I would often have to change the focus of my front lens when zooming way in or out so that the objects were plain enough to recognize, but now when zoomed all the way in, it does get a little pixelated as to be expected, but nothing like before.

Oh, and the crosshair doesn't wander across the screen when changing magnification levels coinciding with the zero.

ATN's tech support and engineering team get a nod from me.

John A., any longer term updates on this? Would you still buy it? Still performing?

I like mine. Still use it a lot. It has a few little quirks, but is easy to work around them.

Mainly, that you have to reset the zero every time you change the battery, but the zero adjustments are numbered to make it easy if you just write down what your zero is.

For instance:

X= -27
Y= 5

I also don't like adjusting the focus between short and long shots.

If I could go back and do it again, I'd find a 3-12 version. The 6-18x is a little much for the majority of the times where I hunt so that's why I'd rather have the less magnification model.

But yes, I would buy one again. The ability for 24 hour use is great. The black/white clarity at night is like watching a black and white TV.

I like the zero method. The GPS is currently deactivated at the factory through the firmware updates but I don't use it anyway and even if it weren't, I would have the feature turned off manually to conserve battery because it's not ever been high on my list anyway.

I think that's the jist of my "cons" list. Like I said, nothing that cant' be worked around, and the pro's far outnumber the cons.

I've hunted with it 3 or 4 times this year.

Not had any luck, but not due to the scope.

2nd time I had it out, we had at least 3 different yotes answering the e-caller, but they were on the backside of the ridge where we were and wouldn't commit to come in close enough to see them.

I had to revisit this to see if there were any followups. Been happy with the one I have but REALLY want something that can work in the daylight without having to swap or add a secondary optic.

As I have said earlier, I would go with the 3x scope if hindsight was 20/20.

They weren't available when I bought mine, and I was impatient.

The early release of the 3x's didn't have an adjustable focus, which was why I skipped them at the time so I didn't end up with an obsolete model right out of the gate.

The biggest negatives that bug me is the focus (at different distances) is a burden unless you're in a fixed location. If you have a lot of distance to cover, you may have to manually focus the optic if you're going between short 35 yard shot and long 150 yard shot. It is unlike a traditional scope in that respect and more like a camera. That is my main fault with it, but it really isn't a fault per say. It's just how it works.

Since I don't have many places where I can shoot at varying distances, it isn't as much of a concern while hunting where and how I do (stand or blind). The 6x magnification is a little over-kill up close as well, and why I mentioned the 3x would be better for what and how and where I hunt. Someone hunting over a big cornfield that can take a long shot, the 6x would probably make better sense, but that's determined more by region than anything. You could probably determine which (magnification) you would need more by looking at what magnification your hunting scopes are set at right now if you don't already know. Mine are usually set pretty low.

ATN is also slow at firmware updates. They only recently re-activated the compass feature and I'm unsure if the gps is active or not. Though I don't use either feature, I think it's nice that it's there if it's supposed to be. They had the gps/compass deactivated in the last few firmware updates while they were working on other things. Mainly the reticle centering, which is largely a non-issue for me since I typically keep my scope on the startup 6x magnification and don't zoom in or out because I have no need to.

Oh yeah, the biggest thing I don't like about it more than anything is having to write down the scope zero (it has x,y adjustment for windage and elevation) because every time you upload a new firmware update or change the batteries, you have to reset where the scope reticle is zero'd. But one positive about it, it's the same every time and I have not had a shift of zero. Unless you remove the scope from the gun then you'll have to rezero altogether, which is super simple with the 1 shot zero this scope has. I wish all scopes were like that.

If you have any specific questions, let me know what they are and I'll be glad to answer if I can.

Edit, I have also noticed A LOT of videos showing up on youtube the last several months hunting. Day and night.

Overall, honestly, I've been satisfied with the optic.

How often do you have to replace the batts?? Thats pretty lame they dont store the zeroing info, its not like the is new IT technology. Like ou said no bigge, just an inconvenence.

Im really thinking of this for my 300BLK.

Wonder what the hold ups are in the firmware. Not that I need gps etc. But its the principle of the matter.

I use rechargable AA batteries. The ones with the higher 2400 mAh batteries, and not the weaker 1200 mAh. Energizer, Duracell and Rayovac all have higher capacity than some other off-brands, but read the label.

I recharge them (or replace them with fresh charged batteries) after each use so I don't have to worry about them going dead on me mid-hunt. That goes along with other routine maintenance.

I've used mine several hours straight without issue. 3 hours would be an honest guess at minimum because when I setup for coyote I usually get comfortable and call for a while, but it was still going even at that point. The low battery indicator still wasn't blinking either, so I dont' know how long a set of batteries last if left on, though I keep all the extra functions turned off manually so I'm not dedicating battery life to broadcasting wifi and other stuff I am not using. Those "extra" features are nice to play with a while, but realistically, most of us know where to find out tree stands and such without needing a compass or gps. My main attraction is being able to use it around the clock first and foremost. And being able to record is my secondary main attraction. Those are my 2 main things I like about the scope. The other things are alright I guess, but just not very high on my list.

I have a direct email to one of ATN's senior US staff if you need to ask specific questions about updates because I'm not privy to all that.

Back