• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remington Slugger ?????

Ok I have some questions hope some one can help me out ....1.are these rounds good ,ok ,or not good ? 2. is 9.00 a 15 pack good price for them ? 3. if I drill a small dimple with a dremel tool will it make it a hollow point slug ? And last what does“ DR-EQ" mean and what does "max“ dr-eq mean?

1. I love Remington sluggers, They are a good hard hitting round.

2. They are usually a buck each but I have got them for less. If you get them for less than a buck ea it’s a good deal.

3. The Remington Slugger is a Foster style slug and there for hollow be design. Idea being the pressure of the discharge expands the slug to the diameter of the bore making a good seal for the trip down the barrel. If you drill it might compromise the integrity if you go to deep.
Any reason you want to drill them? Are you trying to decrease penetration or get some fragmentation?

4. Dr. Eq. means Dram Equivalent...its another way of measuring the power of a shotgun shell in Drams.

I think the Remington Sluggers are alright.

They seem to have plenty of energy

I have cycled more than my fair share through mine. I am not using them for anything other than zombie/home defense and if I am ever called upon to be shot out of a torpedo tube over the horizon of a hostile shore.

I know that’s what you meant, what I am saying is there isn’t a bunch of room there for making a hole the size it needs to be. A traditional hollow point is designed so a solid projectile can expand. The slug you are asking about is not solid, it is a hollow base design. It expands better by "squishing" after impact not from expanding from the tip back like a traditional mushrooming bullet. I think there is a dimple on the tip of the Remington Slugger but it’s my understanding that it is there to allow the slug nose to cave in letting the slug smash into itself. Think of it as a shuttlecock used in badminton, nose heavy hollow base….it flies straight for the same reason as a shuttlecock or dart does. Now solid or sabot slugs are a different story.

My local wally world had them for 3.47 per 5/box

I'll throw my two cents in here I guess.
1. Remington Sluggers are excellent slugs.
2. $9.00 for 15 is a great price.
3. I would say considering the time, money and testing that goes into factory ammunition plus the flight charecteristics of a slug round itself as explained above by "oli700", you would do yourself a disservice by modifying the projectile.
Chances are that because you would be unable to drill the hole perfectly in the middle, you would get instead of a stable flight, a projectile that would start to tumble soon after leaving the barrel and the top of the slug wouldn't even be the part that hit your target first to give you the ripping-shredding effect you wanted to begin with. Which again would be just the opposit of what you wanted to accomplish by drilling the slug.
The proper term when a typical slug turns sideways in flight and the hole it leaves as it strikes the target is generally known as "Keyhole."
But like I said. That's just my two cents worth and the only way you would know for sure is through rigorous testing. If you wanted hollow point performance, maybe you should consider something like the Federal Power-Shok 2-3/4" 1 Ounce Sabot Hollow Point Slug. But anything that has the word "Sabot" in it is going to be costly. Never less that $1.00 per shot and for some of the premium ammunition we are of course talking about can be $3.00 or more a round.

Paul

Back