• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Re: Is there a difference

In the 500 Wikipedia link I believe. What exactly are you looking for?

Model numbers
500A = 12 gauge
500B = 16 gauge
500C = 20 gauge
500E = .410 bore

I second that request!

I've figured out that 500C is 20ga and 500E is .410 bore but some I've seen lately are: 500AB, 500AT, 500ATP, and I have a 500AL. Any method to the madness? :p

PS: and I bet 500D was 28ga...

Yup and yup! We've had some of this on here before. The AT is 12 tactical, and there is also an ATP or 12 ga. Tactical Police... The others I dont really know, but the Havlins will know for sure!

Havlin Sales

can someone help me indentify a gun???

Hey guys I am new to the site and the proud owner of a "new" used Mossberg. I just received an older model from my father for a birthday present and am trying to figure out its age/ value. I will start with the original box flap that says mossberg 500 AS slugster 24" cylinder bore 12 gauge slide action shotgun symbol no. 500-1071. Price says $149. The limited warranty has a part no. 6444 owners manual part no. 6152 receiver assy has serial # G757723 and right side of assy has an engraved buck prancing. I know it is a lot to process but if anyone can help I would appreciate it. You can email me at mrowe7727@gmail.com. I can send a picture if it helps. Also gun shoots 2 3/4 or 3 and holds 6 shells.

Re: can someone help me indentify a gun???

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum mrowe7727 !!

Pictures of the shotgun, the box flap, and the owners manual would surely help identify this firearm.

Sorry file is too large and I can't make it any smaller / less quality or all resolution is out the window

The "G75xxx" serial number puts it in the early '70's for the year it was made.... If you e-mail Mossberg, they'll give you a better date...

From your description it sounds like you've got a Model 500 "Slugster", it has a smooth-bore barrel, so you can shoot shot or slugs through it.

As far as the engraving, is it engraved, or roll stamped??

Smitty

Evidently the Slugster you are refering to was meant to take deer...hence the engraving.

Here's something I found...doesn't have that "AS" in it's name, but looks like it may be a newer version...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/46898-55.html

Did your father buy it new, used, or pull it out of his safe to gift it to you...may be old...price is awesome.

Not sire if it is rolled or stamped or engraved but it is a beautiful picture of a buck prancing. He was given the gun as payment from a friend who he loaned his boat to. Gun was purchased in or around. Leominster, MA and made in NorthHaven CT. The warranty does have a date of 1975. In reference to an FTC act change. I'm dating it around 1975-80 with the date and such but I spent two hours downing her up last night and looks brand new. Only a little wear in the stock where shoulder rests and pump where sweat has worn finish. It does have a unique receiver and assemblyman that looks diamond plated and shined up well. I would say$149 35 years ago was a good buy and must be at least double by now. He actually went out and bought an 1100 today w scope for 475 so we both made out well

500 Home defense/field combos??

Looking to replace a very old Ithaca model 51 combo (12 ga with rifle sites 18" cyl bore bbl plus 30" full choke bbl) with Mossberg equiv.

I found Model 54169 which would meet my needs (18" cyl bore plus 28" vent rib with chokes), at what I think is good price locally here in SC - $310 + tax at my LGS.

But to get my wife to shoot, I need to go to 20ga. Is there a 20 equiv combo to the 54169? I haven't found it online. I DON'T want a short fully rifled slug bbl as part of the combo.

Do't care about wood vs synthetic and a shorter LOP (under 14) wouldn't hurt.

Do I have to buy a 20ga field and then add an HD bbl??

Open to suggestions.

THX

RETFED

Re: 500 Home defense/field combos??

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Retfed !!

We have many knowledgeable people on board here, so I'm sure someone will happen along with an answer for you.

In the meantime...enjoy the site !!

Yea, I was running into this when I was making my purchase too. I ended up getting the 12 gauge because; 1.) The reduced weight of the 20 gauge is going to offset the recoil difference and 2.) With modern low recoil loads that 12 will feel softer than a 20 with a full power load. That's a good price on that setup, I'd go that route and get some low recoil rounds for the wife. Trying to talk mine into shooting the 12 gauge, but she had a bad experience with an inexperienced shooter that thought it'd be funny to just hand it to her and not show her how to hold or shoot it when she was younger so she's not having it yet.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Retfed said:
Looking to replace a very old Ithaca model 51 combo (12 ga with rifle sites 18" cyl bore bbl plus 30" full choke bbl) with Mossberg equiv.

I found Model 54169 which would meet my needs (18" cyl bore plus 28" vent rib with chokes), at what I think is good price locally here in SC - $310 + tax at my LGS.

But to get my wife to shoot, I need to go to 20ga. Is there a 20 equiv combo to the 54169? I haven't found it online. I DON'T want a short fully rifled slug bbl as part of the combo.

Do't care about wood vs synthetic and a shorter LOP (under 14) wouldn't hurt.

Do I have to buy a 20ga field and then add an HD bbl??

Open to suggestions.

THX

RETFED
A stock 500C should be fine. Have her try the standard or bantam models for LOP.
an extra 18" bbl is about $75-80. If recoil is a problem- install a limbsaver recoil pad and if still
a problem- add some fishing weights inside stock($3- walmart) and use some caulking to hold them in place. When teaching her to shoot- make sure she holds the gun tight to her shoulder and absorb recoil with her body rolling with it. Good luck.

Hi I'm new here and trying to fix my old 500.
I have a 500AB which has been in the family for years,
any ideas on the age? Serial # G63418X. 18 1/2 " barrel

I have a 500AB, 12 guage with 18 1/2".
I think it was an early police gun my dad owned.

Mine just says Mossberg 500 and under it it says 12 Ga.
They must be reserving D for 28ga

Strange, mine says 500-A____12 gauge

Re: Thanks for the welcome and responses

My wife has shot 12s and 20s before. She knows kick will be less with a heavier gun. But she has a physical strength and gripping prob holding onto the forearm. (Can't twist her left arm palm up to grip the forearm). So we need the lighter weapon, regardless of the added recoil issue.

I'm a reloader, (rifle, pistol & 12 & 20 shotgun) so loading lighter shot loads would not be an issue, but I wanted a 20 she could handle gun wt wise, maybe with 20 ga slugs and for sure with 3 or 4 buck.

Anyway, the 12 ga set still appeals due to price, but I'm gonna have to bite the bullet (so to speak) and buy an HD short bbl 20 and add a VR choked bbl at whatever length I can get. The 12 set has a 28", but the longest I see for the 20 seems to be 24"

THX again
Retfed

Back