• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First ice of the season

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Not hunting, but a little fishing action or lack thereof. LOL

Made it out on the Ice for the first time this season.

As per usual nothing ever goes as planned the first time out. We had to perform an impromptu rewiring of my trailer in the parking lot of AutoZone because the lights kept flickering on and off, turns out one of the connectors on the flat 4 plug had corroded all the way through and had broken off.

With that and all of out other "first time out" issues we finally made it out into the ice at around 10:30.

We fished til about 5:30 before we decided we were bored from not catching a single fish and just plain cold.

Well, as they say a bad day fishing is still better than a good day working:

20160123_HoughtonLake_001_zps6oilszlx.jpg

20160123_HoughtonLake_002_zpsyvcxrqhr.jpg

20160123_HoughtonLake_004_zpsckbt8odz.jpg

My Recon, 2wd but still works pretty good as long as the snow is not too deep.

20160123_HoughtonLake_005_zps7zhrhmy4.jpg

Added the Winch this year. People told me it was overkill for a 2wd but it has been very useful on three different occasions since I installed it couple months back.

20160123_HoughtonLake_003_zpsiwrotxgg.jpg

My buddies new to him Rancher....I am so tempted to just go buy one of these 4x4's....They really nice, I may end up with one before the winter is over.

We figured this was our trial run to get our heads back into the game. Hopefully the kinks were worked out and we can get serious as the winter ticks on.

Sorry bout youre luck. I talked to my ole man today for a bit, he got onto some bluegill at the pond on their property. Im hoping the ice holds through the warm up this week, so i can get up there friday and hit the ice for an afternoon.

Glad you had a good time.

And the wire wasn't too big of a deal. That's pretty minor all things considered, but I'm glad you got it lined out now.

As for the Honda, they're my favorite.

Looks, like fun! I've never tired ice fishing, maybe some day!

+1 on that Honda Recon. We had a nice 4x4 trail in Kodiak that was about 18miles out to a sweet salmon fishing spot... I borrowed a buddies 250 Recon and never once got stuck, where $8K 700 Polaris's got stock. I think it's all about the weight... she's nice and light!

Looks, like fun! I've never tired ice fishing, maybe some day!

+1 on that Honda Recon. We had a nice 4x4 trail in Kodiak that was about 18miles out to a sweet salmon fishing spot... I borrowed a buddies 250 Recon and never once got stuck, where $8K 700 Polaris's got stock. I think it's all about the weight... she's nice and light!
Ive only ever got the Recon stuck in deep snow which is a challenge for any atv.

I still want a 4x4 though. LOL

I've never tried ice fishing, but my uncle in Maine is always asking me if I wanna go up there and try.
One of these days....

I'm in the same boat, never have ice fished. Would like to get the full experience, ice shack, wood stove, tip ups, beer, pile and walleye. Catch me, toss em outside to freeze, contine playing cards and drinking PBR.

Back