• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3" #4 buck vs 2-3/4" 00 buck, longshot

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Some of you may know where I'm going with this before I even get into details.

I'm going to fire these two loads at 40 yards, both through 20" guns, one choked and one cylinder bore. I'll be looking for pellets on target (10" circle) at point of aim. The 3" shell has 41 pellets of 4 buck and the 2-3/4" has 9 pellets of 00 buck.

Any predictions?

What if I told you one load produced a pattern greater than 60% on paper at 40 yads while the other produced less than 25%?

I'll add also that it wasn't what I expected.

Are we talking raw numbers or a percentage of the original number of pellets? A lot easier to get 10 out of 41 than 9 out of 9. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

It would be somewhat dependent on the specifics of each load - plated shot / buffered shot / Fight Control wad?

That said - assuming equal technology in each load - I would have bet on the 00 to yield smaller, but not as dense, patterns at 40 yards from on my somewhat limited experience with buckshot patterns. Based on your test criteria and results, I think the #4 most likely produced the more hits in the 10" circle. From a cylinder bore gun either load producing 60% hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards is pretty good performance IMHO!

The percentages listed are derived as a percentage of the original number of pellets.

Loads are definitely not equal. One is Federal Premium FliteControl 2-3/4" plated 00 buck 1325 FPS. The second is Federal Premium 3" plated 4 buck at about 1300 FPS but I need to double check that.

Test guns;
500 Persuader 20" cylinder bore fired with the 2-3/4" FliteControl 00 buck only.
835 20" with both an XFull .720 ported choke and also an XXFull .690 ported choke with the 3" 4 buck only.

Subscribing just to satisfy curiosity.

Would also be a good test firing both out of the same gun.

I have seen drastic differences out of the same gun just going from #4 shot to #5 shot before.

I can oblige on firing through one gun. I've fired FliteControl through a ported choke before so I won't repeat that, but I can try the 3" 4 buck through the 500.

I'm definitely interested to what you get with the 3" #4 buck from the cylinder bore 500.

Given that you are using the FliteControl wad, that is where I would put my money. The tight patterns I have gotten with those rounds amazes me, even with an open choke. Take care. Tom Worthington

I ran the 3" 4 buck through the cylinder bore gun and while I was at it I also fired a couple rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" 8 pellet 00 buck 1600 FPS.

Also, the 3" 4 buck is 1100 FPS and not the 1300 I had thought.

Here's the break down;
I had said I want to see pellets in my target area of a 10" circle. The percentages I mentioned above are on paper, that paper being a 12" x 12" sight in target with the concentric rings. Also, I should mention, most often when people talk percentage of pellets on target, that target is a 30" circle. However, I'm not wing shooting. I'm looking for best choice to deal with varmints and small predators so I use the smaller 10" circle like what's used for determining patterns for turkey shot but in this case the entirety of the target from which percentages are derived is a 12" x 12" sight in target.

Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" cylinder bore, 40 yards;

The Federal Premium FliteControl 2-3/4" plated 9 pellet 00 buck 1325 FPS provided a greater than 60% pattern on paper with 7 of 9 pellets. But that's over the entire 12" x 12" target. There were only 2 pellet strikes in the targeted 10" circle and a third cutting the line.

The Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" plated 8 pellet 00 buck 1600 FPS placed 1 pellet strike on paper and in the target area.

The Federal Premium 3" plated 41 pellet 4 buck 1100 FPS put 7 of 41 pellets on paper and 2 in the target area with a third cutting the line.

Mossberg 835 20" choked with XFull .720 and XXFULL .690, 40 yards;

I didn't try the FliteControl loads through this gun at all this time, I have in the past and its documented in the 835 choke tube thread. The ported tubes and FliteControl don't play we'll together. So the only load referenced will be the Federal Premium 3" plated 41 pellet 4 buck 1100 FPS but through the individual choke tubes mentioned.

Kicks BuckKicker XFull .720,
The best target had a less than 25% pattern with 8 of 41 pellets on paper but all of those in the 10" targeted circle. That's not bad actually for a buckshot load at 40 yards and would be (is) effective.

Carlson's Coyote .690 (being called here XXFull),
This combination put a greater than 25% pattern on paper with 12 of 41 pellets but only 6 in the targeted 10" circle, but those 6 were tighter together than the 8 achieved with the .720.

For the heck of it I also fired this 3" load at 30 yards. Each combination placed a greater than 50% pattern on paper, 23 and 26 pellets, with the Carlson's doing better than the kicks (26 pellets) and 17 of the 26 in the 10" circle.

I don't know that there's a moral to the story exactly. More pellets increases hit probability maybe? The 4 buck is still lethal. However, those pellets unaccounted for could be a liability. The FliteControl still rules inside 25 yards I think, though the longest shot I've used it for at night was 35 yards but I likely only struck the critter with maybe 2 pellets. It still died in its tracks but the 4 buck through the choked gun would have been a better choice.

(snip)

The Hornady Critical Defense 2-3/4" plated 8 pellet 00 buck 1600 FPS placed 1 pellet strike on paper and in the target area. (snip)

Good to know. I cannot see the logic in paying what they charge for those rounds. Take care. Tom Worthington

Interesting results, thanks for sharing them here. Seven of nine pellets on a 12x12 paper at 40 yards is pretty impressive from the FlightControl 00 Buck. I have not shot anything using the FlightControl wad yet but FEDEX dropped off a case of the 8 Pellet 00 Buck load with FlightControl yesterday ($151.67 delivered from TargetsportsUSA) so I hope to get some first hand range experience this coming week.

Here's what I take from the difference between Federal FliteControl and Hornady VersaTite, at least in the loads I used for this demonstration;

The Federal load is rated at 1325 FPS while the Hornady is 1600 FPS. I've patterned the Federal FliteControl at 1145 FPS quite a bit more in the past. I have video somewhere with much more impressive results.

The speed makes a big difference to the pattern. Though at closer ranges, the Hornady is still a far better alternative to traditional non plated lead shot such as Winchester SuperX at 1600 FPS which to me (for the purposes I stated above) is suitable only to about 10 or 15 yards.

now i'm more confused than before. i thought comparing shot required the same size and type shot out of the same gun.
this just seems to have confused me as to purpose and what was trying to be proved or found.

Well, that was actually kinda the point.

The loads are very different. The guns are also different. I didn't set out to compare oranges to oranges but very intentionally apples to oranges.

The FliteControl wad makes the load work as if fired from a choked gun in that it extends the range of the effective pattern. I have in the past, (but through another 20" gun) seen and documented some very impressive patterns from FliteControl 00 buck to 40 and even 50 yards. With the low recoil loads I've had all 9 pellets in a hand sized pattern at 40 yards. In practice, I've killed varmints to 35 yards with this load and gun tested here.

When I got the 835, my hope was to set up a gun that surpassed what I already had and could be effective on larger quarry such as coyote and with the choked barrel, also be more versatile for turkeys and what ever else I might want to hunt, but the reality is that I much more needed a gun to deal with the wide variety of varmints that are a danger to my chickens, pig, barn cats and barn dog. Ferral cats are actually a problem as much as anything else.

This testing comes from the work I've been doing to figure out the best possible combination of load and choke to be able to reach farther with the shotgun than I have in the past. What I found was primarily very exaggerated claims of performance and hype that rang empty when tested. I did find loads that really made a difference to performance. Loads that I didn't expect to hold up. I also found that with ported chokes, FliteControl was useless and in fact was worse than useless. It was detrimental to performance and the pattern suffered for it.

What I did find was reality. I ran up against it like it was a wall. I found that for the money I was willing to spend on choke tubes, 40 yards was about the max distance and still achieve what I would call an effective pattern. Beyond that I'd really be hoping on the moon and stars and planets to align to produce a clean kill and the ammo retaining enough energy to be humane. It's not impossible. There are chokes I haven't tried. Some of those are well over a hundred dollars. But the thing is, I've seen better performance from a $20 choke than from a $50 choke making broad and amazing claims of perfection and 70 yard shots. I've heard a lot of talk and read a lot of stories but with zero eveidence.

So what do I have? I have two very different guns that perform well in their own roles. When I came to the realization that I had put together a 40 yard gun, I began thinking about having had a 40 yard gun all along and now comparing and contrasting these two very different things with very different roles and maybe seeing if there was some overlap in their intended uses. I wanted to see how that FliteControl stood against a gun/load/choke combination that was purposely and very deliberately put together. The 500 Persuader and FliteControl vs the 835 and each piece tested and selected for best performance.

What I found I detailed above. The actual numbers tell one story. But the percentage of each puts that in perspective.

I challenge you;
Load up some 00 buck of your choice of a few or several varieties and go shoot 40 yard targets and see what you come up with. Use 12" sq targets. Count hits and figure the percentage of shot. That would be your apples to apples. Then try some 41 pellet 4 buck for the heck of it and see how many hits you're putting on paper.

No honestly, because that's what we're doing here, it would be an unfair comparison to fire those two loads through the same gun. Had I done that, your critique (which I appreciate and am glad you brought up) would be validated. Fortunately that's not I've done here. That sort of comparison would not have proven anything.

Good lookin out, and thank you! You gave me opportunity to reflect on this a little more. And you're right, on the surface it certainly can seem confusing as to the why.

Youre welcome, and Thank you! I had to think about this from another perspective that wasn't immediately apparent to me. I apologize for not having laid this out as a complete thought from the start.

...I read the whole thread , and have great respect for you Rossi ; but - I think 40 yards is TOO far to shoot double ought buck .
If I'm gonna be shootin' Zombies - I want to drop them at closer ranges .

Back