• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Moss 930 JM accepting 930SPX barrels?

Afternoon Everyone,
I've recently been on the fence here about trading in my 930 for a pump, either a Moss 590a1 or a Rem 870. Been doing some extensive research on both all day, but still can't come to parting with my 930. I have a JM that has a 24inch barrel on it and it's pretty doggone hard to maneuver around the house with it in a HD role and would like to use the JM for what it was meant for as well as HD. I've been looking across the net for a while now for 930SPX barrels, does anyone here know of someone or has put a 930 barrel on their 930 or 930JM so to speak? I've found two SPX barrel within the last 3 hours for sale but would rather not waste the money and have them not fit my JM receiver. I also stumbled on a short forum (not here) about someone having a 930 and having bought a 930SPX barrel and it not fit. Take a look. What are your thoughts, has anyone of you heard of anyone or done this yourself? I'd much rather keep the 930 and buy a barrel than a whole new gun. She's one great boomstick.

The forum I speak of is attached below.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long-...atibility-issues-mossberg-930-vs-930-spx.html

Afternoon Everyone,
I've recently been on the fence here about trading in my 930 for a pump, either a Moss 590a1 or a Rem 870. Been doing some extensive research on both all day, but still can't come to parting with my 930. I have a JM that has a 24inch barrel on it and it's pretty doggone hard to maneuver around the house with it in a HD role and would like to use the JM for what it was meant for as well as HD. I've been looking across the net for a while now for 930SPX barrels, does anyone here know of someone or has put a 930 barrel on their 930 or 930JM so to speak? I've found two SPX barrel within the last 3 hours for sale but would rather not waste the money and have them not fit my JM receiver. I also stumbled on a short forum (not here) about someone having a 930 and having bought a 930SPX barrel and it not fit. Take a look. What are your thoughts, has anyone of you heard of anyone or done this yourself? I'd much rather keep the 930 and buy a barrel than a whole new gun. She's one great boomstick.

The forum I speak of is attached below.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/long-guns/293083-barrel-compatibility-issues-mossberg-930-vs-930-spx.html

Howdy Doc.

The barrels and all other parts are absolutely interchangeable between the 930, 930 SPX, and 930 JM Pro. The issue comes down to cycling problems with the shorter barrel due to a significant loss in gas pressure, a result of less dwell time in the shorter barrel. This can be remedied by using hotter, heavier ammo with the short barrel which in reality is better suited for home defense anyway. I have the heavy barreled 930 Tactical the fella in that post was referencing and it wouldn't cycle much of anything under 1300fps before I installed the OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube. That was without changing barrels. I have, just for $#!+$ and giggles, changed out the barrels between the 930 Tactical and my JM Pro and can tell you without a shadow of doubt that both barrels fit either receiver. The shorter barrels are just WAY more ammo sensitive...

Howdy Doc.

The barrels and all other parts are absolutely interchangeable between the 930, 930 SPX, and 930 JM Pro. The issue comes down to cycling problems with the shorter barrel due to a significant loss in gas pressure, a result of less dwell time in the shorter barrel. This can be remedied by using hotter, heavier ammo with the short barrel which in reality is better suited for home defense anyway. I have the heavy barreled 930 Tactical the fella in that post was referencing and it wouldn't cycle much of anything under 1300fps before I installed the OR3GUN Marine Spacer Tube. That was without changing barrels. I have, just for $#!+$ and giggles, changed out the barrels between the 930 Tactical and my JM Pro and can tell you without a shadow of doubt that both barrels fit either receiver. The shorter barrels are just WAY more ammo sensitive...

Top of the evening Lazy Eye.

Once again you have casted light in my direction when I was prepping for the worse. Knowing this information is also great news for my JM as I will definitely be going this route instead of purchasing another boomstick (however there is no such thing as "too many guns.")What you have mentioned, makes complete and perfect sense. I guess if worse comes to worse I'll resort back to your post, and get my mits on Marine Spacer Tube. If it's going to be HD, it needs to be reliable. Just to name a few, what type of ammo do you feed your 930 when you've got your shorter barrel up and in the fight? I feel like I'm committing a sin taking a JM and putting a HD barrel on there when it was intended for 3gun but to each their own.

Here's a thread I put up a while back. Tested a bunch of buckshot using the 930 Tactical...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/buckshot-pattern-test.9802/

You shouldn't have too many issues with 00 buck unless you try to go low recoil. I mostly stick to the Spartan and Rio for range work and the tube stay loaded up with the Rio at the house...

Wow that was a pretty extensive research project you did! Surprising results, all did rather better than I expected! Thanks for the help tonight, I'll report back when all is well with the 930! Stay sharp be safe!

Lazy Eyed Sniper nailed it. Only problem you will deal with is less dwell time. I swapped barrels with a friend of mine. He had a 24" ported barrel, which would bump him to Open Division for 3gun. I was already shooting Open, so we traded. 8 ports on each side, that start 3"s back from the tip of the barrel, and run to 4's back from the tip of the barrel.

As soon as I swapped barrels, I started having issues with the ammo I had been running just fine for over a year. 2 things I did to fix the issues. First, was getting the OR3GUN parts, and swapping them out in my gun. Second was having a gunsmith open up the 2 gas ports a hair inside of the barrel, right by the piston.

24" barrels seem to be the sweet spot in length for the 930. You can run ported barrels, or shorter barrels. But you either need to run hotter ammo, or swap out some parts. I would recommend the Marine Spacer Tube and the Competition Spring Plunger. If you plan to use the gun for HD and 3gun, then get the Adjustable Spring Retainer. I will allow you to tune your spring rate for your ammo choice and application.

I was a fairly early adopter of their parts in my JM Pro, and have never regretted it. No idea why Mossberg does use at least the MST as OEM.

And some of us just get lucky. My 930 security combo has been flawless with the 18.5" barrel, even with low velocity bulk target stuff. Had one hiccup with the 28" barrel on it's first outing. I think it was LES who said the field and combo guns run different springs though compared to the SPX and JM series guns. I've had a blast with mine, literally.

You guys are fantastic! Thank you for the insight and experiences you three have had. I will just run my own little test as far as what works with the shorter barrel, maybe I won't have an issue but regardless, I will be grabbing a few OR3GUN parts! Thank you guys again for the help!

Back