• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stropping

RedOBXT

.270 WIN
Supporter
My recipe and directions:
Heat oven to 170, place clean strop on a cookie sheet with a towel on top to warm up.
Carve chips from your stropping compound in a tiny bowl and add about 1/4 Obenauf's LP to chip ratio.
While the strop is heating, nuke the chip mixture until emulsified.
Apply the compound mixture to the warm strop with an artists brush, making sure everything stays liquid.
Let sit at room temp for 5 min, then put the strop back in the oven for 10 min.
Remove from the oven and place the strop in the freezer long enough to bring to room temp.
Remove from freezer and carefully remove excess compound with a paper towel.
Repet steps for different grits.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The compound should deeply impregnate the leather while the Obenauf's treats it to stay supple.
To clean off the metal shavings, use liquid Obenauf's or any other food oil.

Bonus tip: use the leftover compound mixture to clean and shine your sink.

Last edited:
Nice. I need to get a new strop pretty soon....

that is cool as hell, I had to even look up what it was .....once i saw it I knew what it was never knew it was called that

Hmmm, I'll break it down.

Red Green as in the Red Green show. :)

RedOBXT,

That is a great idea! I normally just reload my strop man strop with the krayon style green and white compounds. This method leaves an inconsistent and spotty coat. I feel that this method would produce a perfectly even coat of the polish/cutting compound allowing the bevels to get just that much sharper!

Back